Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does the current "over-sized nerd specs" fashion bug you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You know what I'm talking about. Guys and gals in their baggy cardigans and skinny jeans with their over-sized, black rimmed, wayfarer glasses that cover half their face.

A lot of the people wearing these don't even need glasses, infact I witnessed a girl today reach THROUGH the frames to rub her eye! - she didn't even have lenses in them!

As someone who had to endure primary and secondary school being called "four eyes" and being picked on for my NHS prescription glasses, I find it quite hard to accept how fashionable the geek chic look currently is. The same people who bugged me in school about my glasses are the same people now scouring topshop and new look for fake geek specs!

Anyone else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really bothered. I have proper things to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    As a fellow bespectacled tsr member.. it bugs me too!!

Only wear glasses if you need them!

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own I say. The only thing is, it doesn't seem as though people are "to their own", as a few people I've asked say they wear the glasses because they're in the fashion, rather than actually liking them.

ReputationRep:
    I mean after war, hunger and the AIDS epidemic i barely have time to worry about glasses on spoilt teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    their hot but not.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really bug me, but I don't get the point of wearing glasses unless you have to!

The glasses-related thing that does bug me is those neon coloured ones with lines across. I can't describe them very well but I hope people know what I'm talking about. I can't help thinking what is the point of them? They look hideous and you can't see through them. Then again, I don't really understand fashion so maybe I'm missing the point.

ReputationRep:
    It does annoy me. I sported this look when I was 10 years old, and I just looked like an over-sized nerd!

ReputationRep:
    YES.

I mean, I have no problem with people who need glasses choosing retro wayfarer style frames. That's fine.
    But I have no respect for people who wear non-prescription, or worse, lenseLESS glasses because it's 'cool.' I just don't get it!

ReputationRep:
    no, mainly because I have a pair. they're tortoise-shell and amazing.
    they're just an accessory, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    yes, it does bug me. if you don't need glasses, then don't wear them! fair enough if you're wearing them as sunglasses, but it's manchester, since WHEN do we get sun!?

rant over

ReputationRep:
    I must admit, some of the fellers do look smokin' hot with those specs..
    (Well they'd always been smokin' hot but those glasses are like a jalapeno on top) :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveyouxx)
    YES.

I mean, I have no problem with people who need glasses choosing retro wayfarer style frames. That's fine.
    But I have no respect for people who wear non-prescription, or worse, lenseLESS glasses because it's 'cool.' I just don't get it!
    Lensless? what the frick? Just poke em in the eye and say it was their fault for having no lens'.

ReputationRep:
    I once chose my glasses frames based on the correlation between mine and Harry Potter's.
    Even if I do think the latest trend of our enormously bespectacled indie friends is kind of cool / pretentious, it's not something I think I can ever do again. Willingly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm blind as a bat but would never be caught wearing such things.

ReputationRep:
    I used to wear fake circular rimmed glasses as a kid saying "I'm an aristocrat"... but I was like 5 then so it was ok; fake glasses look stupid on anyone but kids.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! And how about those little packets of peanuts that they give you on airlines?
    What's up with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    I used to wear fake circular rimmed glasses as a kid saying "I'm an aristocrat"... but I was like 5 then so it was ok; fake glasses look stupid on anyone but kids.

This is incredible.
    And by incredible I mean possibly the most adorable mental image anyone has inspired in me for a long time
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Its a stupid trend that needs to die , it was hot 2008 now its just stupid
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by d123)
    It doesn't really bug me, but I don't get the point of wearing glasses unless you have to!

The glasses-related thing that does bug me is those neon coloured ones with lines across. I can't describe them very well but I hope people know what I'm talking about. I can't help thinking what is the point of them? They look hideous and you can't see through them. Then again, I don't really understand fashion so maybe I'm missing the point.
    My sister has those and it's just a case of WTF is going on? She won't wear her actual glasses because they look 'stupid' even though they're brand new, designer glasses she chose 3 weeks ago but she'll walk around with neon vertical blinds strapped to her face?

AGGGHHHH.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.