Turn on thread page Beta

Does the current "over-sized nerd specs" fashion bug you? watch

ReputationRep:
    I agree personally and I hate the look of this fashion craze.

Though it's their choice if they want to wear them and it doesn't really bother me. I think it's just because you were picked on for wearing what your ex-bullies now wear that you are particularly resentful of this 'look'. Just goes to show how stupid and sheepish such people can be. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    whatever, can we shift focus on harem pants. now thats a fashion fad in need of some bashing.

ReputationRep:
    Are people still wearing those? I thought that whole trend had come and gone.

Never really bothered me to be honest, people can wear what they want.

ReputationRep:
    Its just plain silly.
    Fine, each to their own and everything but now everyone's wearing them and its just daft

ReputationRep:
    aghh I love the look I'm jut not brave enough to pull it off.

I'm always in a shirt and jeans and it's the only look I can manage. I may be gay but by God do I lack fashion sense.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bug me ....i actually quite like it!!

ReputationRep:
    I just think it looks stupid tbh why would you want to wear glasses i hate wearing them

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't particularly dislike them tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I just think it looks stupid tbh why would you want to wear glasses i hate wearing them
    It genuinely suits some people though, (apparently it does for me, even though I don't think so, it makes my eyes look small when naturally they are big).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    It genuinely suits some people though, (apparently it does for me, even though I don't think so, it makes my eyes look small when naturally they are big).
    Why do you want small eyes tho ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    Why do you want small eyes tho ??
    I didn't say I want small eyes
    I don't like wearing mine because they make my eyes look smaller than they are, but apparently they suit me:confused:

ReputationRep:
    To all the people saying about them not being necessary, are handbags necessary? Is jewellery necessary?

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't really noticed this until I saw the 7 days thing on Sky News yesterday. It doesn't bug me in the slightest.

(Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    As someone who had to endure primary and secondary school being called "four eyes" and being picked on for my NHS prescription glasses, I find it quite hard to accept how fashionable the geek chic look currently is. The same people who bugged me in school about my glasses are the same people now scouring topshop and new look for fake geek specs!
    I see it as a good thing (though I've never needed nor worn glasses), children such as your younger self are less likely to be bullied due to their need for glasses if it is seen as a popular look.

ReputationRep:
    I've only seen a few people that can actually pull it off. My mate wears them and I really wish he wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    What bugs me is when people assume my actual glasses are fake ones and ask to borrow them. No, you can't, they're my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    I think it can look very hot on certain girls. I also like the ethos behind some... if subliminal advertising does infact work, then apple-specs are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I wear actual glasses, and it still really doesn't bother me! In fact, I think they can look kinda cool in an absolutely ridiculous way. Yes, you might as well stamp your head with ink reading "i'm trying to be/think i'm/want to be hipster!" but oh well, it really isn't hurting anyone!

ReputationRep:
    to me they just look like a bunch of pathetic wannabes :p: i think they look ridiculous because its so obvious they wear them because its trendy and they want to be "unique" but fail miserably because they're just fashion victims.

ReputationRep:
    No.

They actually suit me so it is all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    The glasses-related thing that does bug me is those neon coloured ones with lines across. I can't describe them very well but I hope people know what I'm talking about. I can't help thinking what is the point of them? They look hideous and you can't see through them. Then again, I don't really understand fashion so maybe I'm missing the point.

Ooh, looks a bit like a plastic grille I guess, or like the rear window of an 80's sports car?

If that's what you're talking about, then I think that I had a white pair in around 1985, I was seven at the time of course... Either way, it's very 'Bladerunner', retro-cyberpunk...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.