Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does the current "over-sized nerd specs" fashion bug you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepoffthelawn)
    to me they just look like a bunch of pathetic wannabes :p: i think they look ridiculous because its so obvious they wear them because its trendy and they want to be "unique" but fail miserably because they're just fashion victims.
    This, 10000000% this.

Yeah it does bug me OP, but then everything about pretentious indie kids bugs me.

Oh, and to those on this thread saying, "yeah I wear them but they look good/suit me"...... :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    I certainly don't understand it. I have prescription glasses that I never wear, if somebody wants them...

Edit: Actually mine were cheap. How much did some of these people spend on these glasses to make sure they looked like cheap plastic frames? :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I hated it when it started, I hate it now, and I'll hate it when it's gone and I recall when it used to be fashionable.

I've tried a pair on, and they seriously impeded my vision (I'm talking about the rim and the sides, not the actual lenses). They're impractical, expensive, they look ridiculous, and I can see absolutely no positive qualities about them whatsoever. Why do they remain popular?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who wears glasses just looks like a tit

ReputationRep:
    yeah it bugs me. At first I thought it was a joke, and i asked my friend why she was in fancy dress. She just blinked and peered at me through comically huge fake-lensed nerdspecs...

ReputationRep:
    Not cool. Just another fad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    I used to wear fake circular rimmed glasses as a kid saying "I'm an aristocrat"... but I was like 5 then so it was ok; fake glasses look stupid on anyone but kids.
    Hahahhaa, that is brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    My english teacher told this lad in my class that he looked like Wally from Wheres Wally! He had the right hair cut as well! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    It doesn't really bug me, but I don't get the point of wearing glasses unless you have to!

The glasses-related thing that does bug me is those neon coloured ones with lines across. I can't describe them very well but I hope people know what I'm talking about. I can't help thinking what is the point of them? They look hideous and you can't see through them. Then again, I don't really understand fashion so maybe I'm missing the point.
    They're called shutter shades, and they are awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I mean after war, hunger and the AIDS epidemic i barely have time to worry about glasses on spoilt teenagers.
    You realise this is Fashion and Beauty and therefore relevant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    You know what I'm talking about. Guys and gals in their baggy cardigans and skinny jeans with their over-sized, black rimmed, wayfarer glasses that cover half their face.

A lot of the people wearing these don't even need glasses, infact I witnessed a girl today reach THROUGH the frames to rub her eye! - she didn't even have lenses in them!

As someone who had to endure primary and secondary school being called "four eyes" and being picked on for my NHS prescription glasses, I find it quite hard to accept how fashionable the geek chic look currently is. The same people who bugged me in school about my glasses are the same people now scouring topshop and new look for fake geek specs!

Anyone else feel the same?

if you're doing it like this kid, no, because it looks good.

if you're buying **** from topman, yes, because you're a ******.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    You realise this is Fashion and Beauty and therefore relevant?
    You realsie that i post in here as i like fashion but i don't really worry about what everyone else is wearing to the point od being "really annoyed" ive got stuff to do kthnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    You realsie that i post in here as i like fashion but i don't really worry about what everyone else is wearing to the point od being "really annoyed" ive got stuff to do kthnx
    Condescending fail.

ReputationRep:
    It only annoyed me when the girls who had previously bullied me for wearing them purposefully failed their eye tests so they could wear glasses and look 'sexy'.

Grr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    Condescending fail.
    Your sig is photoshop fail, Whats a girl to do eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wintersunset)

if you're doing it like this kid, no, because it looks good.

if you're buying **** from topman, yes, because you're a ******.
    he looks like a moron. that could easily have come from topman.

I don't get wearing them if you don't need glasses but personally I love the look of huge glasses. I don't like the whole old man look though, skinny jeans and cardis makes me want to vomit.

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoy my RayBan wayfarers :sad:
    Though I do actually need them to see & only wear them when I take out my contacts, if that makes it any better?
    x

ReputationRep:
    I think if this bugs you then you have some serious issues... I am sure your badly cut jeans, K swiss and baggy t shirts annoy an equally large amount of people. x

ReputationRep:
    They're okay. I'd never wear them though.

ReputationRep:
    I am short-sighted so I had to get glasses in Year 8. I felt bad for my friend though because loads of people were getting glasses even though they didn't need them and my friend who did need glasses as well didn't want to get them because she didn't want to look like a sheep/poser/spoilt teenager, etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.