Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does the current "over-sized nerd specs" fashion bug you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think they are quite cute,
    I wouldn't wear them though, nothing wrong with my eye sight, it's lame wearing them if you don't need them. I saw a girl also wearing the ones with no lense. I would love the chance to go to a party dressed as a nerd though, (or a smurf, or a sexy secretary)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    To all the people saying about them not being necessary, are handbags necessary? Is jewellery necessary?

That's a joke right? So where's a girl supposed to keep the house keys, mobile phone, wallet etc. when she's wearing a dress with no pockets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJade)
    I am short-sighted so I had to get glasses in Year 8. I felt bad for my friend though because loads of people were getting glasses even though they didn't need them and my friend who did need glasses as well didn't want to get them because she didn't want to look like a sheep/poser/spoilt teenager, etc.
    Thing is, you can tell straight away when a pair of glasses are real, so there's no worry about looking like a tit wearing fake specs.

ReputationRep:
    If theyre actually for your sight then yeah theyre cool, but being something you're not never is.
    People who need glasses often look smart in my opinion, because alot of incredibly smart people also wear them (Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates, for example).

i thought that fad had died out by now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    Thing is, you can tell straight away when a pair of glasses are real, so there's no worry about looking like a tit wearing fake specs.
    They weren't wearing fake glasses, they were real but the lenses were the kind of ones that make little or no difference to their sight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    You know what I'm talking about. Guys and gals in their baggy cardigans and skinny jeans with their over-sized, black rimmed, wayfarer glasses that cover half their face.

A lot of the people wearing these don't even need glasses, infact I witnessed a girl today reach THROUGH the frames to rub her eye! - she didn't even have lenses in them!

As someone who had to endure primary and secondary school being called "four eyes" and being picked on for my NHS prescription glasses, I find it quite hard to accept how fashionable the geek chic look currently is. The same people who bugged me in school about my glasses are the same people now scouring topshop and new look for fake geek specs!

Anyone else feel the same?
    The sad but true fact is, it's only 'cool' when the person wearing them is socially seen as 'cool'. Good looking people who are skinny and dress in baggy clothes are usually those that look good in anything, so wearing these over sized 'geeky' glasses is just something that makes a 'cool' person look even more 'cool'.

ReputationRep:
    That's a joke right? So where's a girl supposed to keep the house keys, mobile phone, wallet etc. when she's wearing a dress with no pockets?
    Fair point, if it was only when they were wearing dresses without pockets, and it was only of a small size. But you see people with handbags and jeans, and massive handbags, such as the LV ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    Fair point, if it was only when they were wearing dresses without pockets, and it was only of a small size. But you see people with handbags and jeans, and massive handbags, such as the LV ones.
    i have a pretty big bag but it's nearly always full. I hate keeping stuff in my jeans pockets because they're too small and hoodie pockets because it falls out.
    in my bag right now i have
    appointment slips
    birthday present for a friend when i see her
    purse
    magic stars
    white choc buttons
    spare money
    notebook
    toothpaste
    toothbrush
    inhaler
    matches
    mp3 player
    bizarre
    hoodie
    orange
    passport
    hairbands
    deodorant
    spare knickers and socks
    pills
    painkillers
    plasters
    ds
    spare games
    phone
    edit: keys!

see, sometimes a gal just needs a big bag. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    As a fellow bespectacled tsr member.. it bugs me too!!

Only wear glasses if you need them!
    Same here...it should be banned! It's like sitting in a wheelchair when you have perfectly healthy legs!!! Ridiculous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I mean after war, hunger and the AIDS epidemic i barely have time to worry about glasses on spoilt teenagers.
    Oh lol

ReputationRep:
    No. My life isn't so good that I have energy to spare being bugged by something so unimportant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    i have a pretty big bag but it's nearly always full. I hate keeping stuff in my jeans pockets because they're too small and hoodie pockets because it falls out.
    appointment slips
    purse
    magic stars
    white choc buttons
    spare money
    notebook
    toothpaste
    toothbrush
    inhaler
    matches
    mp3 player
    bizarre
    hoodie
    orange
    passport
    hairbands
    deodorant
    spare knickers and socks
    pills
    painkillers
    plasters
    ds
    spare games
    phone

What the hell?:p:
    do you have a spare ladder in there as well?

ReputationRep:
    What the hell?:p:
    do you have a spare ladder in there as well?
    if there was space then I would. I like to be prepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    appointment slips
    purse
    magic stars
    white choc buttons
    spare money
    notebook
    toothpaste
    toothbrush
    inhaler
    matches
    mp3 player
    bizarre
    hoodie
    orange
    passport
    hairbands
    deodorant
    spare knickers and socks
    pills
    painkillers
    plasters
    ds
    spare games
    phone

I am suprised you don't have a handbag inside a handbag. But you do have magic stars so that makes it alright.

ReputationRep:
    The most irritating person that wore these glasses was Jade from Britains Next Top Model

http://bntmania.webs.com/Jade%20Mcsorley%202.jpg

And everyone was like, omgosh she's so quirky and cute and original.

No. She looked like urban outfitters threw up on her.

*vent*

ReputationRep:
    I have some, but thats because I'm blind as a bat and I love the way they look (as I feel more geeky in 'normal' glasses). Plus, with normal glasses, when you look down or up its all blurring and annoying, as the glasses have ended (well, those who where glasses and can't see should understand...hehe) but with my nhs-style nerd-specs I can see everywhere (as they basically cover my whole face)...it's great!!

ReputationRep:
    lol at anyone who thinks that's style....if you don't need glasses don't wear them

ReputationRep:
    People who masquerade as "lol, geeks" need to play in a busy motorway, to be honest. Having said that, it's not really worth a thread.

ReputationRep:
    It bugs me too, as a fellow myopic. I've worn glasses since I was 6. It's a facking nightmare most of the time and these people really take the biscuit with their fake glasses with no bloody lenses in them.

Oh and to add insult to injury I can't even HAVE big frames!! My eyesight is sooooo horrendous, I have to have small frames to accomodate the ridiculously thick lenses. Baaaaaaah humbug.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.