Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Andrew Wiles said real mathematician don't use computers. At the beginning of Fermat last theorem documentary. Well, something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    They're pretty good if you want to look up definitions and statements of lemmas/theorems. But it will never go into enough depth to cover an entire module, especially third and fourth year modules.
    I wasn't recommending it as an alternative to lectures. I actually found both wikipedia and mathworld became much more useful in third year. That's also when my lecture notes stopped making much sense. You can't cover an entire module with wikipedia and mathworld, but you can get the useful results, helpful ways of thinking about things and perhaps a slightly more accessible approach than you might get from lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Andrew Wiles said real mathematician don't use computers. At the beginning of Fermat last theorem documentary. Well, something like that.
    For certain values of real mathematicians.

ReputationRep:
    Just take your desktop if you already have one and save some money. Macbooks are exceedingly overpriced. (waits to be flamed )

You could buy a netbook and an amazing desktop PC for the same price...

(my brand new desktop PC & 22" monitor + brand new netbook cost under £900)

ReputationRep:
    This may be a good compromise - rumored apple tablet. Its expected Q4 2009. Should be quite useful for lectures if you can sync it to another machine. I think its meant to cost something like £600-700 for a 10" screen.

This is only a mock up.

Woo 1st post lol

ReputationRep:
    Man, that looks sweet! Sweeter than sweet actually.

Would be so good if that came out (the piano idea is awesome!)

If that comes out i'd be very happy

ReputationRep:
    I think its meant to be more like a larger iPod Touch than a tablet MacBook (which is a shame). But it is due out in like September 2009, as that is when Apple normally update their iPods.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.