Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

London vs. New York (Poll included) Watch

• View Poll Results: London vs. New York
    Go London!
    57.45%
    New York rocks!
    42.55%

ReputationRep:
    Which do you think is the better city to live in and why?

Take heed, the article below is quite biased and blatantly written from a pro-NY perspective and sometimes they seem very anti-London (check out the 'Sold on London-not so fast' bit-author paints London as racist and cheap-in the derogatory sense)

http://nymag.com/guides/TOC/london/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Esmerelda)
    Which do you think is the better city to live in and why?

Take heed, the article below is quite biased and blatantly written from a pro-NY perspective and sometimes they seem very anti-London (check out the 'Sold on London-not so fast' bit-author paints London as racist and cheap-in the derogatory sense)

http://nymag.com/guides/TOC/london/
    i live just outside london and go there often. its good but can be boring after a while

ive never been to new york though but shall go there one day!

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about this today actually. Having been in both citys I loved New York and London didn't really compare in my opinion. People in New York were so welcoming and friendly, streets are so clean and have very little litter and I felt so much safer wandering around there on my own which may be strange to some people. This is of course just my opinion, the shopping in NY was great as all the places I wanted to go were close together and when I went the exchange rates were great, but London shopping is fantastic.
    I would choose NY over London personally.

ReputationRep:
    I love manhattan
    But London is amazing if you live in one of the few "nice" areas,
    and NYC is a lot bigger than manhattan
    Most of newark or long island really aren't that much worse than the worst parts of london

ReputationRep:
    New York FTW, amazing city imo, but that may be because i'm just bored of London now been to NYC a few times and loved it. Plus directions in NY are so much more simpler, most of the streets are numbered!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.

I love Manhattan but New york as a whole? I'd say no.

ReputationRep:
    basing it on weather; New yorks in summer is hell on the subway and hell in winter with snow..i'd say London

ReputationRep:
    New York easily. I just don't think London compares..

There is something special about Manhattan, if it wasn't so expensive i would like to live there one day.

ReputationRep:
    New York!!!!!

Jeremy Clarkson made a poignant point on Top Gear.

You used to go from the US to the UK and feel free but now it's the other way round. I would love to live in NYC.

ReputationRep:
    Lived in London all my life and when I went to NY I was just blown away. Amazing buildings, amazing landscape, the atmosphere is fantastic just about everything was better. I just didn't like the traffic and the awful yellow taxis polluting the landscape (aesthetically) so to speak but yeah I'd definately pick New York. However, if I had to choose where to live it would be London, it has a better blend of rural/urban areas.

ReputationRep:
    NY. But then again I'm biased.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was talking to two American guys today, one from Utah and the other Colorado. They basically said in general the properties are pretty big for what is paid (compared with the UK), and one said American girls love the British accent and illustrated this by using an example haha. But anyway, New York just seems amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to NYC (yet - 4 weeks and counting until my first visit ) but I've already come to the conclusion that it's probably the greatest city in the world. It looks epic and yet everyone I've spoken to who's been there says photos don't do it any justice...

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse alot will say NYC but by the same token alot of people in NYC would say London from their trips over the pond.

Once you live in the area you don't look at it like it's this amazing place, you start to see the real NYC and the bits you wont like.

I'd think about it alot before I moved there and ask the locals in NYC what they think.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've been to both but only lived in London, so technically can't comment on which I'd rather live in.

The two cities are vastly different. One's a concentric agglomeration, the other's centred around its western boundary. London's bigger but New York has more people. Culturally, they're similar: Camden and Shoreditch/the Villages and Williamsburg, there's the two Chinatowns, the financial areas, etc. I found NYC quite easy to navigate round, probably because the streets are numbered. In this respect I get an ego boost when I can tell someone directions in London :yeah:

Also I feel like a proud git being an Englishman in the United States, for some reason..

NY's wetter, London's milder, dunno. I say London because it's in Europe and I live there already.

ReputationRep:
    LONDON all the way!!!

ReputationRep:
    London is great but it doesn't compare in the slightest to the great NYC!

ReputationRep:
    New York (well, Manhatten) is awesome. I was there a few weeks ago, and London doesn't even compare.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much the same city only that New York does everything on a bigger scale.

ReputationRep:
    Can I say neither? I haven't been to NYC but I don't particularly want to. London's ok but nothing amazing. Whenever I've been I've just felt that I'd hate to live there. From what I've seen of NYC I'd get a similar feeling there. I think London is just too crowded, too big, too expensive and not really my sort of place. NYC again is too crowded and I'm not a fan of skyscrapers! To be honest, I'd definitely choose Edinburgh over either of them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.