Go London!
    57.45%
    New York rocks!
    42.55%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Janey91)
    I felt so much safer wandering around there on my own.
    Fair enough - but did you go to Harlem or The Bronx

ReputationRep:
    Reasons why NYC is better -
    - New Yorkers are friendly and more talkative than Londoners;
    - New York has a livelier atmosphere;
    - I prefer New York's more pronounced climate to London's 'you can't really tell if it's summer or winter' weather;
    - New York's subway system is far better [e.g. cheaper, faster] than London;
    - New York is a more liberal and progressive city than London;
    - I feel safer in New York than in London in terms of crime;
    - New York City residents have a far greater say on how they are run than Londoners because New York's mayor has far greater power than its London equivalent and New York State is smaller than the United Kingdom, so the people of New York City have more input in the New York State Congress than Londoner's do in Westminster; etc.

Reasons why LDN is better-
    - Londoners are far more polite than New Yorkers - most obvious when comparing the behaviour of Londoner's and New Yorks in the subway/tube;
    - London has far more open, green space - important in a hectic city;
    - London is more pedestrian, cyclist friendly;
    - London is not as 'scary' as New York City;
    - I'd argue that London is more culturally diverse than New York City;
    - London is noticeably cheaper - e.g. rent and etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_dun_noe)
    Fair enough - but did you go to Harlem or The Bronx
    No as I do have some common sense, you could say the same about going to parts of London yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by botchok5)
    New York because it's cheaper to shop there lol, but I do find the bus annoying because you need to have the exact amount of coins.
    And you gotta love those people on the streets with huge black bags selling knock off items and when a police officer is around they just cover up their stuff with a black sack haha.
    Ha ha yeah I love that, they do that in Spain and Italy too.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Human Condition)
    - London is noticeably cheaper - e.g. rent and etc.
    I never thought I'd hear anybody say that.... London is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

What makes you think that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I never thought I'd hear anybody say that.... London is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

What makes you think that?
    I'm not saying that London is not an expensive city - indeed, it's a very expensive city, but in my experience, New York is more expensive. Then again, I was only in New York for six months so perhaps that had an impact on my perception.

ReputationRep:
    haha what a joke of a question!

what do u think??? new york man!!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Janey91)
    No as I do have some common sense, you could say the same about going to parts of London yes?
    LOL! I live in one of those 'parts of London,' so I'm not too fussed....

But I just think that once you're out of Manhattan - New York is terrible!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Esmerelda)
    I'm guessing you're not a native Londonder and have moved here at some point? I find that usually the native LDN'ers can sometimes be a bit more negative, or perhaps they've lived here so long they're impervious to LDN's charm-I know I am.

But also remember the strategic location of London-at your doorstep you have so many amazing places to visit: France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Poland etc. New Yorkers don't really have that luxury (unless they wanna go to another American city).
    Well I've lived there for a total of ten years (not all at one go), including 3 years at uni. So I've seen and lived in the not so great parts of East and South West London. Despite that I do find that there is a certain charm to the place that I love (especially central). Maybe it's the clash of cultures. But yeah maybe if I'd been there for all 23 years then I'd probably have a different attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_dun_noe)
    LOL! I live in one of those 'parts of London,' so I'm not too fussed....

But I just think that once you're out of Manhattan - New York is terrible!!
    you must be joking. I lived in New York 7 years and now am in London for nearly past 2 years or so and I can tell you New York is much better.

I lived in Manhattan Upper East Side for ~4 years and then moved to the suburbs (Westchester) and lived there for next 3 years and I can tell you.. westchester is amazing and the suburbs there are unlike any here because they don't have any chavvy-type people there at all whatsoever. The 'town' i lived in hadn't had any crime since early 1800s which was when the american indians were kicked out i guess from that area.

A lot of people seem to be bashing The Bronx without real knowledge, anyone heard of Riverdale? this is one of the most expensive areas in new york very 'posh' and it's in the Bronx. Likewise, quite a sizeable area of Brooklyn is all $1m+ only houses/apartments and they are great areas.

Harlem is not very safe, in fact anything above 125th street really is not an area i would feel safe in I admit.

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in both and NYC beats the crap out of London. As a student at UCL in London most people could only afford a dumpy ex-council flat in Camden with a converted lounge...wtf...i know we were students but you must be joking!? The amazing thing is no one *****ed about it, maybe being American I am a bit spoilt but not one of my English friends ever complained, I admire them for this but in my opinion trudging through a council estate at 10pm every night was not the way I wanted to start my evening. In fact, the number of professionals who can only afford to live in this type of housing to remain close to work is shocking. I have looked at apartments in NYC that were the same price as the one I had in London and some of them had olympic size pools in the buildings for gods sake. London has maybe 3 olympic size pools total!?

The quality of life in London is nearly a generation (seriously) behind what the equivalent amount of money could get you in NYC. The only good grocery stores that stock a wide variety (i.e. not store brand) of quality food are Waitrose and Whole Foods, but they cost a crap load. Housing is a joke, professionals can't afford to live in a decent area on their own and the quality of the housing is a good 25 years behind that of NYC for the money (I am being serious).

And transport? After a night out you can either wait for a night bus that will either be 30min late or never show, or take a cab ride that would then double the cost of the night out.
    London does, however, have some of the best neighborhoods of any city in the world, there is no doubting that. Chelsea, Kensington, Marylebone, and Holland Park to name a few are stunning, but cost a fortune to live in and are primarily quiet and residential. NYC has huge apartment complexes in the heart of it all (Mid-town, Greenwich Village, Tribeca, SoHo, etc) that are actually affordable in comparison to the equivalent size/style "flat" in London.

ReputationRep:
    London... yes it's London!

ReputationRep:
    NYC. And please people, it's not the 90's anymore. Harlem is not dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Long Island ftw!

ReputationRep:
    Having come back from New York only two days ago, I wouldn't say it was on par with London... the 'nice' area of it is much more compressed to Manhattan and the suburbs around it are dilapidated, dark and unfriendly. I was in Harlem and it was akin to say Brixton... both places that you know not to walk around between 11-6 night.

That article is a joke - New York - the booming capital of the 20th century? I don't think so, the author tries to make out that London is a recent and up-coming city... London is older than New York and has been worldly prominent a h*ll of a lot longer, from the rich history that is spoken across world wide... it's an epi-centre of cultures and buisiness

I majorly saw New York as a shopping destination with a region of tall buildings, London to me is so much more. - You can go 10 miles out of the 'city' and still feel as if you're in London, with NY its nothing the same, only when you're in the numbered street districts you feel 'city'... I can't really explain it.

One of the only things that NY has going for it is the price in comparison to London, going out, shopping, living are all much cheaper.

I much prefer New Orleans anyway, amazing place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexicle89)
    Having come back from New York only two days ago, I wouldn't say it was on par with London... the 'nice' area of it is much more compressed to Manhattan and the suburbs around it are dilapidated, dark and unfriendly. I was in Harlem and it was akin to say Brixton... both places that you know not to walk around between 11-6 night.

That article is a joke - New York - the booming capital of the 20th century? I don't think so, the author tries to make out that London is a recent and up-coming city... London is older than New York and has been worldly prominent a h*ll of a lot longer, from the rich history that is spoken across world wide... it's an epi-centre of cultures and buisiness

I majorly saw New York as a shopping destination with a region of tall buildings, London to me is so much more. - You can go 10 miles out of the 'city' and still feel as if you're in London, with NY its nothing the same, only when you're in the numbered street districts you feel 'city'... I can't really explain it.

One of the only things that NY has going for it is the price in comparison to London, going out, shopping, living are all much cheaper.

I much prefer New Orleans anyway, amazing place.
    You must be joking. you go outside zone 1 in london and it becomes a ghetto till you get a bit farther out and it becomes suburban. again, the "nice" areas of London that makes you feel like you live in a city are solely in zone 1, the nicer areas outside zone 1 are very suburban in character (Chiswick, Hampstead, etc.). Also, the suburbs around NYC are MUCH nicer than the suburbs around London (though American suburbs are nicer than British suburbs in general). I have lived in both, trust me!

NYC stays open 24 hours a day, the food is better, the housing isn't ancient, its cheaper, less crime, and no chavs. Trust me, NYC kicks London's ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    You must be joking. you go outside zone 1 in london and it becomes a ghetto till you get a bit farther out and it becomes suburban. again, the "nice" areas of London that makes you feel like you live in a city are solely in zone 1, the nicer areas outside zone 1 are very suburban in character (Chiswick, Hampstead, etc.). Also, the suburbs around NYC are MUCH nicer than the suburbs around London (though American suburbs are nicer than British suburbs in general). I have lived in both, trust me!

NYC stays open 24 hours a day, the food is better, the housing isn't ancient, its cheaper, less crime, and no chavs. Trust me, NYC kicks London's ass.
    Precisely, which is why it's one of my favourite places to be in the world. And they have the Madison Square Garden which means I can watch the Knicks and the Rangers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)

Dulwich and Kensington aren't 'ghettos'. The suburbs are nicer probably because there are less people in NYC than there are in London. London has far too many people which is always going to add to a problem. NYC used to be far worse for crime, but I was in Harlem last week and though I wasn't scared - I didn't feel safe at 9pm... I have walked around Brixton and Streatham at midnight and felt safer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexicle89)
    I was in Harlem last week and though I wasn't scared - I didn't feel safe at 9pm... I have walked around Brixton and Streatham at midnight and felt safer.
    Harlem at midnight is the place to be, ya know. My hostel was on the corner of 7th and 118th and there was a great 24-hour deli two doors down. The owner was a friendly bloke, noticeably more friendly than many of his London equivalents. People were talking and laughing outside. I suppose I liked the atmosphere. I think Brixton's better by day, more going on, music, etc.

ReputationRep:
    you cant compare the two.i'm at uni in london and i like it ,but I want to move to New York when I'm around 24 & working as an artist .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.