Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy first year (unless it's assessed and goes towards your final grade) but make sure you have a fairly decent work ethic. It's ***** hard to go from slobbing about and not doing any work to pulling out a 2:1 or a 1st in your second and third years.

Be ready for the transition between doing whatever you want at university and going home to mum and dad in the holidays. It made me go mental for a little while but chill, don't have really high expectations and always remember that they love you (if they do, which I hope they do!!)

Save money before you go to uni, if you can, and don't do what I do and blow it all on a great holiday a month before uni starts. You will run out of money. Fast. For most people, the student loan only covers rent.

If you get into trouble, deal with it. Hiding away when you start getting nasty letters from your bank/tutor/mobile phone network supplier will only make things worse. Get on top of it, get on the phone. Learn to negotiate. Don't ask, don't get.

Do either your set reading, or go to your lectures, or both. Never neither. You need something to fall back on come exam time.

Keep anything important (even milk, if you drink a lot of tea) in your room. It WILL go missing and you can't stomp around, moaning to everyone about it.

Don't act like a prat to get yourself liked. Just don't. Everyone can see through it.

Don't sort out 2nd year housing too early. All the best deals are later in the year and you really want to make sure you are happy to live with your chosen housemates. Don't even think about anything before Christmas and try to leave it until after Easter. Talk to the university accommodation office!

ReputationRep:
    this is all very good stuff.

Not long until I go and cannot wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samputer)
    Say yes to almost anything - its great fun (dont take it to the 'yes man' extremes lol)

oh and you will join a club/society and then never go to the meetings and nap throughout the day
    Dont sign up for sponsored sky dives and abseils....you do have to get the money from somwere.

oh and check ur bank ballance regualy, hiding from it wont help :P

ReputationRep:
    good stuff, thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Always have tins of food in your student house, and always have enough money for a loaf and a pint of milk.
    Never accept a drink off a complete stranger if you have not seen it come straight from the bar. (more a warning to girls)
    Do not walk home by yourself (it is a risk but i would say try to avoid it)
    Wine then beer oh dear.
    beer then wine thats fine.
    pint of water after a night out helps the next day
    sunday afternoon supermarket shopping reduced items are great
    oxfam for funky halloween clothes (buy them in august they are cheaper) and you will be organised!!
    hanging towels out your window on dry nights saves a trip to the tumble dryer
    buy two nice cans of beer and a load of cheap nasty stuff, once the two nice cans have been drunk your taste buds are mostly numbed, saves money and you get wasted!!
    do not bring a girl back to yours, go to their place, means you get to go home next morning to a nice already made bed, and you do not have to go through the awkwardness of waiting for the girl to leave, sometimes they even expect breakfast!!!!
    im thinking of more but i will get back to ya!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    If you weren't nailing people left right and centre at sixth form or whatever, you're not gonna turn into a heart throb just because its freshers week.

If there were ever things you wanted to change about yourself or your appearence or anything then uni is the best place to do it.
    ...contradiction, much?

ReputationRep:
    oh and not every night during the week needs to be a party night, set aside some nights for studying seriously, like say you go out monday night, then tuesday is a study day, wednesday a study day and then party thursday, but also mix it up cause then u might get into a rut and then when important stuff is on lets say a tuesday morning you dont feel obliged to go out and get pissed anyway on a monday night trust me it happens. Enjoy yourself at uni do not study too much and do not party excessively, for every ten ppl who say they get hammered every night, 5 of those ppl are studying like mad trying to act cool by saying that they dont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    ...contradiction, much?
    Um, a little, I guess.

Both really are true though, so uh, blow me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macattack_)
    Always have tins of food in your student house, and always have enough money for a loaf and a pint of milk.
    Never accept a drink off a complete stranger if you have not seen it come straight from the bar. (more a warning to girls)
    Wine then beer oh dear.
    oxfam for funky halloween clothes (buy them in august they are cheaper) and you will be organised!!
    buy two nice cans of beer and a load of cheap nasty stuff, once the two nice cans have been drunk your taste buds are mostly numbed, saves money and you get wasted!!
    do not bring a girl back to yours, go to their place, means you get to go home next morning to a nice already made bed, and you do not have to go through the awkwardness of waiting for the girl to leave, sometimes they even expect breakfast!!!!
    :yes: and one every other drink or so consigns the beastie hangover to distant memory

ReputationRep:
    Try to go to lectures as much as possible, even if you are still ******** from the night before, atleast go and pick up the notes, or try and sit through it all without falling/puking (big lecture theathres seem so steep and freaky when drunk still/hungover).
    Don't buy all the text books. Every module will give you a list of a billion books they think you should get. just amazon market place it and get 1 or 2 all encompassing books, its likely you wont even open them anyway.
    If you're a girly girl who refuses to leave your room untill you look like your off on a night out, forget about it. After 3 weeks you'll forget it all and embrace the art of going to lectures looking like a hobo.
    Don't get reliant on caffiene to keep you alive all day. The amount of diet coke I drank in my first year was insane.
    Don't get too pissed off when things go missing in the kitchen etc, thats life, and if you get stupidly arsey about it all the time, it wont win you any friends. If you cant keep your milk in your room, try only buying the little bottles, that way not much can dissapear at once, and try wrapping it in a plastic bag so people cant see whats in there.
    Branch out as much as possible. sure your halls mates might be great, but remember to make friends on your course as well, and vice versa.
    Keep an eye on your money, maybe work out a weekly budget or something, dont just always rely on your overdraft always being there...eventually it runs dry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Hardly a little contradiction. I wouldn't say the second was true anyway. People can always tell if you're trying to be something you're not, and even if you're good at faking eventually you get fed up.
    Eh..

Change isn't synonymous with deciet, when you leave home for the first time, live in a completely different environment with completely different people, you're less bound to yourself and to other people... a change in your character, your tastes, anything really is inevitible. It doesn't make you fake or a faker or whatever you're yapping about.

If you weren't confident around the opposite sex before you came to uni, that's not going to change in the first week...

Yeah, I don't really see the contradiction. Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    bete noir, not that i want to butt in, but seriously it is not worth getting worked up over someone disagreeing with you and also it is very disrespectful to say either blow me or shut up to a woman, i just think that doing that to a complete stranger does not bode well for your social skills or lack thereof.

ReputationRep:
    bete noir, not that i want to butt in, but seriously it is not worth getting worked up over someone disagreeing with you and also it is very disrespectful to say either blow me or shut up to a woman, i just think that doing that to a complete stranger does not bode well for your social skills or lack thereof.
    I'm not worked up at all. I just wanted to be antagonistic/obnoxious.

Of course I know its disrespectful to tell people to shut up and to blow me, that's the whole point of why I said it....duh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    ...contradiction, much?
    Not at all really.

ReputationRep:
    Wine then beer oh dear.
    very funny , liking that tip

Although it depends how you want your next day to be spent :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    You said "If you want to change anything", which implies actively deciding to be different. I'd call that deceit. What you're now "yapping on about" isn't the same thing at all.

I'd say that if you followed your advice and actively decided to become the person you are, people should ignore your advice completely. That's of course if we're to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you weren't a rude jackass before you went. Sounds like someone needs to work on their social skills a little. Telling strangers to "blow me" or "shut up" when they point out that what you're saying is making no sense just tells people you're insecure and feel the need to belittle people to feel better about yourself. Which isn't attractive in a person at all.
    Not really man, I just think you misunderstood the two unrelated points I was trying to make.

It's not deceitful to actively want to make a change in oneself, it doesn't make you "fake" to want to change something about yourself, the way you dress, to become more confident, to explore new things etc.

At university, you're given a lot of chance to do this because there's effectively a clean slate and you're given free reign to be whomever you want to be.

I mean, could you actually give a reason as to why this is decietful, or fake, how do you ever pursue new interests if you genuinely think actively trying to change something about yourself is a bad or a negative thing.

It doesn't in anyway contradict the fact that, if you weren't very sexually active or were nervous around the opposite sex or whatever during your whole time at secondary school and sixth form you're not going to bag tonnes of tail in freshers week.

Yes, like I said, you're free to make a change within yourself, but changing from wallflower to wanton lothario isn't the kind of change that one can facilitate over night, let alone in the space of a week.

I never said changes happen instantaneously, just that you're free to make them.

I'm not insecure, I don't even know who you are, I just don't really see any reason why I need to be espescially polite or civil towards you. My social skills are fine, but this is the internet and I'm not really looking to make friends with you or anyone like you. There's nothing to gain from kissing your arse and there's nothing I lose from being impolite to you.

ReputationRep:
    cmon guys, quit the bickering this is a pretty good thread, I've been enjoying the tips even as a mature student looking to start Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    You said "If you want to change anything", which implies actively deciding to be different. I'd call that deceit. What you're now "yapping on about" isn't the same thing at all.

I'd say that if you followed your advice and actively decided to become the person you are, people should ignore your advice completely. That's of course if we're to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you weren't a rude jackass before you went. Sounds like someone needs to work on their social skills a little. Telling strangers to "blow me" or "shut up" when they point out that what you're saying is making no sense just tells people you're insecure and feel the need to belittle people to feel better about yourself. Which isn't attractive in a person at all.
    So, hypothetically, say I listened to a new kind of music thatI really liked, and then I decided to show this in the clothes I wore, I had actively decided to be different does that make me a bad person? A faker? No, so just drop it, you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkerslaw)
    cmon guys, quit the bickering this is a pretty good thread, I've been enjoying the tips even as a mature student looking to start Uni next year...:eek3:
    I second that thought entirely.

Although I have a full degree behind me already I am enjoying this thread as a mature student also.

More suggestions less arguments and if you really want to argue... then just message each other back and forth.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)

Understanding Fail

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.