Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When a prostitute is sucking you off, don't let her pull your trousers all the way to the ground. She WILL steal your wallet!

Happened to a friend of mine.

ReputationRep:
    money will be the thing you talk/worry about most. you'll come home and go out on non-student nights, and rave about how expensive it is and all your friends who havent gone to uni will be wondering what you're on about!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    Eh..

Change isn't synonymous with deciet, when you leave home for the first time, live in a completely different environment with completely different people, you're less bound to yourself and to other people... a change in your character, your tastes, anything really is inevitible. It doesn't make you fake or a faker or whatever you're yapping about.

If you weren't confident around the opposite sex before you came to uni, that's not going to change in the first week...

Yeah, I don't really see the contradiction. Shut up.
    (Original post by Lizia)
    You said "If you want to change anything", which implies actively deciding to be different. I'd call that deceit. What you're now "yapping on about" isn't the same thing at all.

I'd say that if you followed your advice and actively decided to become the person you are, people should ignore your advice completely. That's of course if we're to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you weren't a rude jackass before you went. Sounds like someone needs to work on their social skills a little. Telling strangers to "blow me" or "shut up" when they point out that what you're saying is making no sense just tells people you're insecure and feel the need to belittle people to feel better about yourself. Which isn't attractive in a person at all.
    Hmmmm, 2 bright sparks here. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Try to attend Fresher's week - always good to know where the best pubs are...and of course lecture halls/libraries/Morrisons/Asda etc ....should you want to use them.
    Always try to get to know a second/third year student....they know the where/how/when of just about everything going on.
    Get as many printer credits as possible, sort out access codes asap too.
    Wear 5 layers of clothing in drafty lecture halls- because sitting still for a 2 hour lecture with no heat is guaranteed to give you flu by November.
    Get your Meningitis shot - it's free....so might as well have it.
    Red Bull always works....
    Make multiple copies of your timetable -
    having said that.....enjoy your time !

ReputationRep:
    You can answer those questions - can i actually grow a beard and will it suit me if i do...invariably the answer to the second is generally no...

At Uni no one cares if you look stoopid with a handlebar moustache or that u will look scruffy for a while whilst growing it, trying this once you have a job is a no no…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_maK)
    naps become a way of life.
    Cups of tea will replace food.
    money seems to have different value depending on the situation...eg, £30 for a book is too much, but £30 on a night out is ok :p:
    Ha!!! so true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anbell)
    I second that thought entirely.

Although I have a full degree behind me already I am enjoying this thread as a mature student also.

More suggestions less arguments and if you really want to argue... then just message each other back and forth.
    Cheers
    Good suggestion but ******* idiots like them will never have the IQ to see this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    This is why society hates students. I find this mentality a bit embarrasing.
    doubt they all hate students :rolleyes:

1) not one member of the public records what time all students wake up

2) your embarrassed that students shop around for reduced deals? this saved us money we dont have, and I am pretty sure alot of the public do the same :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    Hello everyone.

I'm in abit of a dilemma, i need to write an article about student lifestyle but have no idea where to begin.. and as im a fresher myself... i wouldnt have a clue

So i was hoping if university students, who have experienced a student lifestyle, could give some of their top tips related to student lifestyle.. or maybe even if you have some stories to tell..This will give me a starting point for my article.

I'd really appreciate your help.. thanks!! :o:
    1. Minimalise your life. Don't take everything to uni. How will you get it back home?
    2. Get a job or generous relatives

ReputationRep:
    Even though this thread has been amde several times before, there are some really good responses, so cheers mdears.

ReputationRep:
    oh and when u have money buy two loaves and keep one in the freezer, when u run low there will always be a frozen loaf!, this saved me so many times,
    and try and find a butchers cause they will give you good deals especially if u keep going back to them, our butcher did us a great deal in our final year, we were having a big party went down and gave him the list of stuff, he packaged it all then said it was going to cost 93 quid, it was alot of meat and other things like sauces etc... and then said he was very said we were in our final year because we were such loyal customers and did it half price. Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    just because you are sitting next to each other doesnt mean you cant chat on facebook chat or msn with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i like tea)
    wiki essays are a high 2nd

by wiki essays i mean i started the essay 5 am on the day of the deadline. using only wiki...but quoting the references wiki quotes and not actually qouting wiki itself.....
    LMAO dunno if id risk that, what uni u at?

ReputationRep:
    Don't cling on to the friends you make in freshers' week - chances are you won't still be friends with them at the end of the year, if you are then great, but you have three years to make friends.

Oh and try to make friends outside of Uni - when everyone goes home or graduates if you're on a longer than 3 year course, you can end up a little isolated.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is pretty good (and funny)

ReputationRep:
    You will learn the value of a good nap.

ReputationRep:
    if your drinking, drink at your own pace, don't try and keep up with other people, as there will always be one person that can drink a lot more then you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidac)
    Since first year doesn't count, do as little work as possible, get pissed at least five times a week, and have as much sex as you possibly can.
    Very bad advice if you want to still have a social life near exam time and in years two, three and four.

ReputationRep:
    Rumours about what the university/department expects from you are rife in first year, 99% of them are untrue.
    I was 21 when I went to university - long story - so the 'them & us' attitude of the staff took some getting used to. If you are coming straight from school you probably won't notice it.

Don't forget nobody spoon feeds you information or checks to make sure that you are doing the work - until you have missed coursework deadlines that is. If you are having problems though make an appointment with your Student Advisor to discuss your situation. The earliest that your department knows of a problem the better they will be able to help you get passed any difficulties.
    I was in the LASS faculty at Strathclyde, and we had to submit all the coursework for each subject or be given an 'NQ'. This[NQ] stands for 'Not Qualified' and it means that you cannot sit the exam. If you are NQ'd in two or more subjects then you will very likely be required to leave university - your institution has fired you. Regardless of your degree course all universities will have something very similar to the 'NQ' in place so handing in ALL your coursework on time is essential.
    Being at university is a great life-changing experience and don't forget that your 3/4 years will fly in and almost before you know it you will be attending your graduation ceremony!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    Dont sign up for sponsored sky dives and abseils....you do have to get the money from somwere.

oh and check ur bank ballance regualy, hiding from it wont help :P
    lmfao - cheers kate - but yeah - good advice!:yes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.