Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is such a good thread!
    I'm going to make a mental note of all of it for September

There's not too long to wait now; SO EXCITED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnkuk)
    Sundays, 3pm are the best times to go to supermarkets, LOADS of stuff is reduced.
    ENGLAND HER WE COME.
    Open supermarkets on sundays- I can just appreciate this.

ReputationRep:
    any more?
    x

ReputationRep:
    no matter how hard you try the kitchen is going to be a mess 24/7

ReputationRep:
    This thread is sooooo goood Thanks for all the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    no matter how hard you try the kitchen is going to be a mess 24/7
    :eek: nuuuuuuuuuu! i do not get on well with a messy kitchen.
    well at least that will keep me busy :cool:

ReputationRep:
    This handy rhyme should serve as a good pearl of university related wisdom:

"Weed before beer - you're in the clear
    Beer before grass, you'll be on your arse"

Important advice : )

ReputationRep:
    wow- THIS IS AWESOME GUYS... its totally going to rock my article :woo: Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    - Go to class.
    - No really, go to class. Coffee with friends is not an excuse.
    - Don't play MMORPGs (I learnt that one the hard way)
    - Join clubs and societies, probably the best way to get to know people
    - Do your coursework, don't let it get on top of you
    - Be careful with money, pretty shoes in week 1 of term are not worth it if it means you're living on baked beans in week 11.
    - Learn to love Aldi, Lidl, Tesco Value, Primark etc
    - Ask for help if you need it, the support is usually there so use it.
    - If you've made a totally wrong decision, don't be afraid to admit it. There is no shame in dropping out before Christmas and reapplying for 2010 if you start a course and it's not for you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be an arrogant arse and think you're better then everyone else. Acting like one will only serve to alienate you.

Be patient. You'll especially need it when you first arrive at university.

Learn a word called restraint to avoid blowing your money in one go or getting wasted several times a week and doing stuff you might regret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectraStars)
    This handy rhyme should serve as a good pearl of university related wisdom:

"Weed before beer - you're in the clear
    Beer before grass, you'll be on your arse"

Important advice : )
    And...

Beer then wine, you're fine

Wine then beer, makes you queer.

(What's the difference between a gay guy and a straight guy? Three pints)

ReputationRep:
    -Talk to everyone on fresher's week. Anyone. Even if they don't seem like your type of person.
    -Freshers week is all a bit hectic and you could be regretting your decision to go to Uni but be patient.
    -If you're going out then go out sensibly. Don't go out every night/most nights a week (you're just wasting a lot of money). And don't go out until 4am when you have a lecture at 9/10am. :facepalm2:
    -If you're an attention seeker/want to get noticed, walk into a lecture 5-10 minutes late regularly. At this point the majority of people will be sat down and listening so if you walk in you're bound to get noticed. Wink at a few people to show that you are THE man (I know a guy who does this). :wink2:
    -Just because the first year doesn't count towards anything doesn't mean you have to take your foot off the pedal. Work as hard as you can. It's useful to know which Lecturers mark leniently/harshly. :yep:
    -Start your assignments early (at least a week-ish before). I was one of them people who always did their work at college the night before and would still get A but it's extremely difficult to achieve that at Uni. You need to do the research, plan your essay, write your essay, brush it up, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you have picked the right university for you by attending open days, reading up on it/the area etc, because otherwise you spend thousands of pounds somewhere which makes you unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    Haha everyone has stories about getting absolutely wasted and waking up at 2 or 3 in the afternoon everyday, but I just wasn't like that AT ALL.

ReputationRep:
    Get sunbeds so you go looking brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoe)
    Get sunbeds so you go looking brown.
    Why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry if freshers week doesn't live up to your expectations and you feel homesick. Personally, freshers was the lowest point of my first year, I felt I didn't have anything in common with my flatmates and everything seemed so fake. However, you will make friends. Just speak to everybody and get to know them and don't judge people from first meetings, you may be suprised about who your good friends turn out to be.
    Join a society or sports team. You'll meet people from every year and get to go on social events.
    Just enjoy your first year and make the most of living in halls.

ReputationRep:
    If you get fresher's flu and lose your voice for more than 2 weeks at the start of uni it IS still possible to make friends :laugh:
    I learnt that the hard way :p: -or should I say silent?

Take plenty of painkillers and strepsils with you - if only because you can make friends by offering some por girl coughing her lungs out one whilst you're waiting to go into a lecture...

[yeah, I had a fun freshers :p:]

Otherwise, no matter how you 'don't nap' whilst at home, when you go to uni, naps become a way of life.
    Remember to eat some fruit or veg...the lemons you get with a tequila slammer are not enough to keep you from scurvy

If you study history, don't think the first 8 weeks are a complete doss in which you have nothing to do. Come deadlines, you'll regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Remember to eat some fruit or veg...the lemons you get with a tequila slammer are not enough to keep you from scurvy
    That made me laugh

(Original post by fredscarecrow)

If you study history, don't think the first 8 weeks are a complete doss in which you have nothing to do. Come deadlines, you'll regret it.
    That made me frown :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Don't be mean to bouncers at clubs...

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.