Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

opening bank accounts - are you meant to be interrogated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Opened a new current account with Abbey today, so sat down with a girl etc, she told me her manager would come in for it to monitor her or something. Anyways I told a white lie about how many bank accounts I had because I didn't want further questions so I said I had 1 current account with Barclays and £1000 savings. Basically they kept asking why I want this account if I have another one and where my source of income is coming from as I don't currently have any. Next thing I know the manager sternly says how as a manager she would be inclined to say no to opening a bank account for me. Anyways, I just felt interoggated or something I thought I'd go in there, answer a few questions and breeze it and just open a bloody account, but noooo next thing I know I was fending off 2 ******* women for ages about why I want an account with them. In the end I felt like a pleb because I had no real reason for opening an account with them other than I wanted a spare one for online business ventures, shall we say. Left me feeling paranoid that I was some kind of criminal and tha they were going to check my accounts and see if I was lieing and then close my account down or something. All I wanted was a ******* bank account! why is that a problem!

Is this sort of procedure normal? Just a bit OTT I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds well OTT, I went Barclays for my first account with my Dad, they were real nice, helped me out loads, asked me why I would want a Debit Card, just said it's safer then carrying loads of cash around, and to use online.

Went smoothly, think my Mum has about 4 accounts at different banks, and my dad 2 or 3 and they never get that sort of hassle!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, your experience does surprise me. Banks do have to comply with the Money Laundering Regulations, which includes checking ID for all customers, but unless you gave them any reason to suspect you of anything (it doesn't sound like you did), I can't see why you got the treatment that you did..

ReputationRep:
    can they be able to see that I have 3 Barclays accounts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Yes, your experience does surprise me. Banks do have to comply with the Money Laundering Regulations, which includes checking ID for all customers, but unless you gave them any reason to suspect you of anything (it doesn't sound like you did), I can't see why you got the treatment that you did..
    They checked my ID (provisional license) and I showed them my barclays card so I guess they checked my details on their system?

I think I just answered 1 or 2 questions a bit incorrectly, like I contradicted myself at one stage but still.

ReputationRep:
    let's see money laundering regulations , plus reducing lending provisions .... plus you don't have an account with that institution ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    let's see money laundering regulations , plus reducing lending provisions .... plus you don't have an account with that institution ...
    ye i'm not really clued up on all this stuff. could you expand please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    <snip>

I think I just answered 1 or 2 questions a bit incorrectly, like I contradicted myself at one stage but still.
    D'Oh !

plus of course i suspect you are a very poor liar in the first place ...

ReputationRep:
    this is the first time I opened an account by myself so tbh I didn't know what the hell to expect. They kept putting me on the spot about why I wanted an account, ffs I just want a spare account, dunno why they were struggling to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    ye i'm not really clued up on all this stuff. could you expand please?
    lets see , some kid with a current account with another institution wants to open a current account ?

how much are you earning a year ? you state you have no income

then you lie to obtain a pecuniary advantage by deception ...

why do you think a bank doesn't want to give you credit facilities ...

multiple current accounts ? let's go fly a kite ...

ReputationRep:
    but that is all i wanted it for, a spare account.

Is there something wrong with having an account from another 'institution'???

ReputationRep:
    Pretty understandable... it's fairly standard that they run your name through credit check agencies so they can find out certain things about you. I'm not sure whether this would tell them about your other accounts (if you seem to be lying, definitely suspicious) but it would give them certain info on any credit you were being given (including overdrafts) meaning if you were applying for an account for an overdraft when you already had one but weren't earning any money this might be cause for concern.

Fairly sure these banks normally do a simple basic bank account rather than a fully featured current account, which they'll give to practically anyone? If you just want a "spare account" you could try this.

Just out of interest how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Don't have any overdraft on any account, didn't go for overdraft facility on this one either (I think) so financially it's not like that tbh, no financial problems ever. I think my inexperience just caught up with me maybe, either way I was still a bit surprised, felt like I was being questioned in a police cell or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    but that is all i wanted it for, a spare account.

Is there something wrong with having an account from another 'institution'???
    why do you need multiple current accounts ?

also you have no income

most people with multiple current accounts have plenty of income or the account is with the same institution as their main current account and used as sole trader business account or it;s joint with a domestic partner ...

as i said before let's go fly a 'kite'

ReputationRep:
    why do you need multiple current accounts ?

also you have no income

most people with multiple current accounts have plenty of income or the account is with the same institution as their main current account and used as sole trader business account or it;s joint with a domestic partner ...
    1 is savings, 1 is current, 1 was a young persons card till it got lost/date expired (one of them, can't remember) so it got upgraded to a current account, then i got a direct debit with a company who need a whole account to themselves. So just ended up using the 3rd one for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    Don't have any overdraft on any account, didn't go for overdraft facility on this one either (I think) so financially it's not like that tbh, no financial problems ever. I think my inexperience just caught up with me maybe, either way I was still a bit surprised, felt like I was being questioned in a police cell or something.
    2 current accounts with different institutions ?

let's go fly a 'kite' up to the highest height ...

let's go fly a 'kite'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    You still looked dodgy I guess... you claim to have no income yet are applying for extra current accounts, and have lied about how many you already have (whether or not they'd know this I'm not sure). There are many criminal reasons why a person in your situation might want lots of bank accounts (eg. splitting proceeds from crime between accounts to avoid arousing suspicion) but as far as they're concerned no legitimate ones.

ReputationRep:
    lets see , some kid with a current account with another institution wants to open a current account ?

how much are you earning a year ? you state you have no income

then you lie to obtain a pecuniary advantage by deception ...

why do you think a bank doesn't want to give you credit facilities ...

multiple current accounts ? let's go fly a kite ...
    He wants a spare account, I doubt he's a 'kid' and the fact he has an account with another institution is totally irrelevant.

His earnings have nothing to do with having 2 accounts, maybe he just wants to keep his money seperated/more organised.

He didn't lie to obtain a pecuniary advantage, he said he had 1 account with barclays when in reality he has 3. Most people would say 1 anyway and I doubt he has 3 current accounts, but rather 1 current and 2 savings (im guessing, but that is the most likely situation.) People lie all the time and you have to lie if you are dealing with daft cows on a power trip..

Technically a current account with no o/d isn't really a 'credit' facility as such, even though I know it is generally referred to as one.

The manger and the assistant sounded like they were going over the top, the assistant maybe because she thought she's being monitored and had to do everything by the book. But you should have just objected to their aggressive manner straight away on grounds of poor customer service,say your going to complain etc. and it would have put her on the spot - which would have been pretty funny.

You can just go to a different bank, there are plenty.

ReputationRep:
    ok so is it all fine now? I mean all I'd be using it for would be investing it into a money making site online and low scale betting. I just feel a bit paranoid that I might do something wrong that I'm unaware of from now on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouz)
    He wants a spare account, I doubt he's a 'kid' and the fact he has an account with another institution is totally irrelevant.

His earnings have nothing to do with having 2 accounts, maybe he just wants to keep his money seperated/more organised.

He didn't lie to obtain a pecuniary advantage, he said he had 1 account with barclays when in reality he has 3. Most people would say 1 anyway and I doubt he has 3 current accounts, but rather 1 current and 2 savings (im guessing, but that is the most likely situation.) People lie all the time and you have to lie if you are dealing with daft cows on a power trip..

Technically a current account with no o/d isn't really a 'credit' facility as such, even though I know it is generally referred to as one.

The manger and the assistant sounded like they were going over the top, the assistant maybe because she thought she's being monitored and had to do everything by the book. But you should have just objected to their aggressive manner straight away on grounds of poor customer service,say your going to complain etc. and it would have put her on the spot - which would have been pretty funny.

You can just go to a different bank, there are plenty.
    That's a bit better lol. That's basically all I want it for /savings/current/online propositions/direct debit with company. If I do my online stuff on my current it just feels less secure as my details would be going in lots of places.

I was so tired once they started on me I actually got a brain freeze and completely didn't know why they seemed suspect .. the girl asking me the questions kept laughing too :confused: .. :laugh: ?? I honestly didn't know what was going on at one stage.

ye shame but i'll have to use this account now I guess. Gonna dread having to make a student account soon if this is anything to go by, one thing is for sure I won't be making the trip to Abbey for that :laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.