Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing. The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses. And there's so much oversafety everywhere, we can't be trusted to have plug sockets in our bathrooms and there are signs around every corner warning you not to trip over your own feet. And is this the only country where people think sundried tomatoes and granary are posh? Aaaaaah. And the worst of all, I could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    (I was in a bad mood when I wrote this, everyone needs a random grumble sometimes )

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I love England. British girl through and through. I'm fine with your post though, grumbling is a national past time and should be celebrated.

ReputationRep:
    You could never leave? I bloody could. Hate this country (and yes, I am leaving, before any smartarse advises me to do so).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    you're forgetting how much freedom we have here. especially compared to some countries. also you're forgetting the educational system and NHS. but we're british; we complain about everything and you will probably complain about this, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Nope. I love England. British girl through and through. I'm fine with your post though, grumbling is a national past time and should be celebrated.
    oh my god, and this country is way too small. I Also live in Tonbridge lol

ReputationRep:
    I love Britain and being British.

So no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    If you think England is small, you'll think Gibraltar is non-existant. Only 30k people here. Means everyone knows everyone. You're actually lucky to be in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    you're forgetting how much freedom we have here. especially compared to some countries. also you're forgetting the educational system and NHS. but we're british; we complain about everything and you will probably complain about this, too.
    our educational system? lol Compare Cambridge with Harvard. (I'm probably not getting the point though, sorry)

ReputationRep:
    Sooner all of you who dont like it here leave...the better, if you think its that "bad" here...try go living in a poverty stricken country, then you might appreciate what you have!!

ReputationRep:
    No. I like living here. I hate how we are all so moany though.

ReputationRep:
    I love Britain's NHS and its educational system. I hate its ungrateful people and a reluctancy held by many to stray away from a bourgeoisieic comfort zone.

ReputationRep:
    It's a great country. The problems that hold it back are because we are forgetting that. We have people telling us to be like America, Be like france. We should be like England.

We're losing cultural identity and that's what starts to make Britain a bland place.

Dunno what you have against tea and shepard pie tho. Personally i like both of those things.

We should be proud of out heratiage and natnality like America and France and any other country on this planet. But we sould not try and be like them. We should be like us and we cna be great once more.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    our educational system? lol Compare Cambridge with Harvard. (I'm probably not getting the point though, sorry)
    you'd be correct.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not British but I'm considering moving there. I love the place, the people, everything. All the things you complain about are the endearing quirks I love.
    (Not to mention a rich history that's got something of everything.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butchered_wyer)
    Sooner all of you who dont like it here leave...the better, if you think its that "bad" here...try go living in a poverty stricken country, then you might appreciate what you have!!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the most ethically minded people there are with respect to what we have compared with some of the most deprived countries. I mean, Britain in contrast with comparable western cultures.

ReputationRep:
    i live in a crappy boring town, but when away at cooler places, i always slightly miss my home, i dont get homesick, but when i get back, i feel good, but, i want to move anyway, hopefully to america.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, my Dad went to 'Huge Crustie'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Acky)
    i live in a crappy boring town, but when away at cooler places, i always slightly miss my home, i dont get homesick, but when i get back, i feel good, but, i want to move anyway, hopefully to america.
    If I ever moved, I'd move to America. They have everything we have, but without all the rubbish that goes with it here

Bloody monoglots. The rest of Europe takes the chance to learn at least one other language and Britain knows nothing except 'feck off'. Also, I am under the impression that British food is composed of either pastry or roasted meats. No wonder the nation's favourite food isn't even natively British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Haha, my Dad went to 'Huge Crustie'
    Oh dear god lol. 5 years of my life I'll never get back have you seen the new building? It's like a massive corrugated iron space ship landed amongst a sea of suburban bungalows. It's almost as bad as the pile of 60's concrete we had before

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.