Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Your forgetting the football OP. It's great!

ReputationRep:
    I love Britain. Occasionally I go through periods of being depressed but that's normal and I agree that if you go anywhere for a week, you'll only see the good bits. Everyone tries to imagine what it would be like to live in another place when they go on holiday and everyone likes a good moan but a very high percentage of expats end up moving back to the UK after they left because the fantasy rarely lives up to the reality.

The things that I dislike about Britain are: the weather (obviously) - we haven't really had a summer this year, how unhealthy the lifestyle is - adverts for junk food and alcohol are constantly shoved in our faces and our cocaine usage is the highest in Europe (I think?), the general lazy and miserable attitude that some people have, properties are expensive and tiny, dressing scruffily, swearing and not giving a toss what other people seem to be the norm, the media tries to whip people up into a frenzy about everything, the binge drinking culture is disgusting, everything looks grey to me (I'm starting to feel like I'm in a black and white film!), families and traditional values not being important anymore, consumerism, streets are filthy and anyone who actually strives to be well mannered, healthy or eco friendly is deemed a snob. I'm so old fashioned - ban adverts for junk food and alcohol and bring back deportment I say! :judge:

However... these are the reasons I will never ever leave Britain permanently... the NHS (we are so lucky to have a health care system like this - if you don't like it, pay private?), when the sun comes out it actually has an effect on people because we miss it so much, our countryside is beautiful, our education systems and welfare systems aren't perfect but at least they're there, shops and products are so accessable over here - I can't imagine not having the choice between 5 different supermarkets and high street clothing! Our 'stiff upper lip' attitude does make me rather proud sometimes - like the London bombings, our sense of humour and the TV and music we produce are unqiue, we have a choice in pretty much every aspect of how we live our lives and if you really work for something over here, the sky's your limit :yes: So cheer up OP!

http://www.goodthingsaboutbritain.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    I wouldn't say that the English's "reluctance to learn a new language is born out of laziness, arrogance, or a rejection of all things foreign". In fact, I think it's the other way round.
    Yes, that's what I said.

I said I'm not convinced that this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because we speak English - only, like, the biggest language in the history of language ever

ReputationRep:
    No one ever leaves!

And you will be bound to this wretched country for all eternity! *Evil Laugh*

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt mind living in Hong Kong if Im being honest. But I do like London. Dont know what Im going to do after uni, Im tempted to go and live in HK for the rest of my liiiiiiife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    If you think England is small, you'll think Gibraltar is non-existant. Only 30k people here. Means everyone knows everyone. You're actually lucky to be in Britain.
    I LOVE gibraltar, my aunt, uncle and cousin lived there for around 5 years and we visited a lot But I can imagine it is a bit small to live in permanently.

Anyway, back on topic, wherever I go in the world I ALWAYS want to come back to england. Not because I love it or anything, it's just the familiarity of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing. The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses. And there's so much oversafety everywhere, we can't be trusted to have plug sockets in our bathrooms and there are signs around every corner warning you not to trip over your own feet. And is this the only country where people think sundried tomatoes and granary are posh? Aaaaaah. And the worst of all, I could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    (I was in a bad mood when I wrote this, everyone needs a random grumble sometimes )
    ahh! i feel exactly the same, know how you feel but i could leave and i will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing. The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses. And there's so much oversafety everywhere, we can't be trusted to have plug sockets in our bathrooms and there are signs around every corner warning you not to trip over your own feet. And is this the only country where people think sundried tomatoes and granary are posh? Aaaaaah. And the worst of all, I could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    (I was in a bad mood when I wrote this, everyone needs a random grumble sometimes )
    I'm Dutch but I have been raised in the Netherlands and lived in the U.S. for a while.. I live in the UK too..

I guess it's OK here.. I'm just glad I'll be able to get a good education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohemian_like_you)
    I LOVE gibraltar, my aunt, uncle and cousin lived there for around 5 years and we visited a lot But I can imagine it is a bit small to live in permanently.

Anyway, back on topic, wherever I go in the world I ALWAYS want to come back to england. Not because I love it or anything, it's just the familiarity of it.
    Haha, yep it's quite small. I'm surprised people like Gibraltar so much tbh xD

ReputationRep:
    The British Condition?

Would that be complaining about every single thing and sueing other people because it's not going the way you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    No. I like living here. I hate how we are all so moany though.
    Same here!

I like British fashion, films and music better than any other country's. Also i'm grateful we have the NHS, and don't live in poverty or have poor education. But i hate how moaning is a national past-time. It just gets to me sometimes. Why can't people ever be positive about things? Learn to appreciate what you have got, and stop whining about what you haven't. There's nothing you can do about it, so learn to like it or leave.

ReputationRep:
    It's very easy to have romanticised views on countries you don't actually live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I love Britain and being British.

So no.
    This :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayleyboop(:)
    Same here!

I like British fashion, films and music better than any other country's. Also i'm grateful we have the NHS, and don't live in poverty or have poor education. But i hate how moaning is a national past-time. It just gets to me sometimes. Why can't people ever be positive about things? Learn to appreciate what you have got, and stop whining about what you haven't. There's nothing you can do about it, so learn to like it or leave.
    I will moan as much as I want dammit! :mad2: There is not much to look on the bright side of my life :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got to that stage of being fed up with the country as a whole. If I'm bored with a city I up and leave. The joy of being young and free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Nope. I love England. British girl through and through. I'm fine with your post though, grumbling is a national past time and should be celebrated.
    What's to love about england ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Summary of thread: "Boo hoo, Britain is imperfect, this minor issue infuriates me!"

Why don't you take a long trip to Africa, or Asia, or South America, be subjected to corruption, drought, famine, poverty, war, all sorts of real problems, then come back to Britain with your tail between your legs and try to get away with your pissing and moaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I will moan as much as I want dammit! :mad2: There is not much to look on the bright side of my life :sad:
    Yeah well i moan about things too, everyone does, but aren't you ever optimistic? :rolleyes: There must be. You have your health, right?

ReputationRep:
    its good and bad at times. Only thing i hate is the fact that i live in leicester. Moving out asap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.