Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    That's a pretty rubbish reason to like a country though.

Depends how much tv you watch!

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly certain I understand the flavour of this country which the OP has attempted to describe; afraid to say that I rather like it though :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)

pull t'other one it;s got bells on it ...

What sort of response is that? The government DOES pay money to people who have never worked a day in their lives. That money DOES come directly from the taxes working people pay. You must either be a complete idiot, or one of the millions of useless sponges we have in this country judging from your comment.

(Original post by zippyRN)
    target culture in publice services blame Bliar again, but you really a a daily Fail reading twonk if the think the police are working hard at dealing with all sorts of crime ... ( and BTW speed cameras are effectively managed by local councils it's just the police are used to issue the fines )
    I give a specific example of target culture causing problems in the police force which is not from the Daily Mail, if you had actually bothered to continue reading the thread instead of just trawling for posts that you disagree with.

As for police issuing speeding fines, why do i constantly see the glorified goverment cash cows hiding behind trees in low accident areas stopping people for going 5 mph over the speed limit, if all they are used for is issuing the fines?

ReputationRep:
    Who doesn't love being pretentious though, really? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    You could never leave? I bloody could. Hate this country (and yes, I am leaving, before any smartarse advises me to do so).
    x2..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing.could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    People all over the world think like this about their own countries (unless they have been brainwashed to be blindly patriotic).When foreign tourists visit Britain for 1-2 weeks they see the most interesting,historic and well maintained areas of London,Bath,York, Edinburgh etc.They experience things that might not exist in their countries and which are new to them - football fervour,pub culture,black London taxis,multiculturalism,fish & chips etc.Many love it and wish they could move over here.
    In the same way when you visit France,America etc you tend to experience the tourist/visitor orientated places.If you went to France for one year and lived on a council estate or modern suburb and did the same job/studying you do in the UK you would probably not be too impressed.
    To cheer yourself up checkout this site:

http://www.goodthingsaboutbritain.co...ationmyths.htm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.