Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Then move. But you'll soon find that the countries you've been thinking are so much better than Britain are just as bad, just in different ways.

What, exactly, does it say about Britain? It says absolutely nothing, except 9% more people are buying pregnancy tests from Tesco. If you said, "pregnancy test kit sales amongst 12 year olds has risen X%", then that might say something. But considering we're not having enough children to keep our population stable, I'd say a rise in pregnancies would be a good thing.
    Moving would just be an easy way out. This forum is for either moaning about being british, and moaning about not being able to not be british, or totally disagreeing with me. To move is not productive feedback. That was my best firm tone there, but now I'm just giggling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Sounds like Gibraltans are in dire straits. HA!
    *Gibraltarians ;D

Hehe :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses.
    wait till you see how soul-less the 'burbs of Toronto are. i yearn for some British terraces, they have character.

ReputationRep:
    I'm replying too much to my own post here. I'll just sit back, grab an ice tea and watch you all squirm for a while

ReputationRep:
    And before anyone says it, ice tea is very non-british. To be British, tea only exists as milky, sugary brown tetley. They know of nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    lol duct tape away. The british are benevolent bodgers And the british sense of humour just happens to be another thing I hate lol everyone finds the same un-funny things funny, and I can't for the life of me understand why :confused:
    have you watched "the thick of it"?

or in the loop, that is true british humour.

ReputationRep:
    Moving would just be an easy way out. This forum is for either moaning about being british, and moaning about not being able to not be british, or totally disagreeing with me. To move is not productive feedback. That was my best firm tone there, but now I'm just giggling
    No, the problem seems to be that moving IS productive advice, but you just want to moan. Fair enough, but don't tell me I'm not being productive. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you, although I'm probablt not the best to associate with this. I live in a sleepy village in the middle of no-where, full of suburban housewives, victor meldrews and nosey old people. Not a scrap of land free from trees and grass. Ick lol.
    I'm in a village too! but its on one of the main country roads that leads directly to the town... all the fields have hedges around them... not to mention that it would be trespassing... I'm surrounded by grass (no trees) but i cant go on it and our garden is fairly small considering its out here... it's not exactly a nice atmosphere either... You can't go anywhere social unless its a pub...

I dont want to leave but it's just frustrating as to how boring it is... I'm noticing this more and more now it's "summer"... Going to UCL in sept... I'm guessing central londons going to be much much better!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    You obviously haven't tried any other cuisines.
    I probably have. What kind of thing are we talking?

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing. The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses. And there's so much oversafety everywhere, we can't be trusted to have plug sockets in our bathrooms and there are signs around every corner warning you not to trip over your own feet. And is this the only country where people think sundried tomatoes and granary are posh? Aaaaaah. And the worst of all, I could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    (I was in a bad mood when I wrote this, everyone needs a random grumble sometimes )
    Haha i do laugh at random things but i think your post is incredibly entertaining, probably because of how true it is lmao!

(Original post by Chrrye)
    I probably have. What kind of thing are we talking?
    Edible foodstuffs.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't let nationality decide who I am as a person so it doesn't bother me that i'm British.

ReputationRep:
    If I ever moved, I'd move to America. They have everything we have, but without all the rubbish that goes with it here
    have you ever been there? spent much time there, not just a week in Florida or New York? they don't have "everything" we have - certainly not the NHS or much of a welfare system. A lot of the towns are horrible too - they're just long strips of fast food, supermarkets, etc built along a road, surrounded by nasty-looking houses, trailer parks, etc. Most of the architecture outside the big cities is crap, pure and simple, and in the big cities the grid system they seem to love is such a boring way to lay out a town. There's a lot of things right about the USA and it seems like a great place to be rich, but unless you've a lot of money I'd suggest looking into what you'd be living in, what healthcare you could afford, and how you'd be able to pay your rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myiesha_90)
    I'm in a village too! but its on one of the main country roads that leads directly to the town... all the fields have hedges around them... not to mention that it would be trespassing... I'm surrounded by grass (no trees) but i cant go on it and our garden is fairly small considering its out here... it's not exactly a nice atmosphere either... You can't go anywhere social unless its a pub...

I dont want to leave but it's just frustrating as to how boring it is... I'm noticing this more and more now it's "summer"... Going to UCL in sept... I'm guessing central londons going to be much much better!!
    Oh sod it, I said I'd sit back and relax and now look at me lol. I think everyone has what everyone else wants in Britain, and those who have it don't appreciate it. I'm one of those people. I can go wondering out over my back fence and there's miles of public fields and forest. But I don't appreciate it really, I don't know anyone in this village to enjoy it with.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I love it. I also love bucking the trend and speaking foreign languages, and going to the US and feeling like I have the right to feel like a smug git

ReputationRep:
    Grass is always greener

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    Edible foodstuffs.
    theres nothing inedible about pastry OR meat? WTF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impsmith)
    A lot of the towns are horrible too - they're just long strips of fast food, supermarkets, etc built along a road, surrounded by nasty-looking houses, trailer parks, etc. Most of the architecture outside the big cities is crap, pure and simple, and in the big cities the grid system they seem to love is such a boring way to lay out a town.
    it's so true! i miss the windy roads, and the ability to actually be able to just walk to the shops. you just can't do that in north america.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing. The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses. And there's so much oversafety everywhere, we can't be trusted to have plug sockets in our bathrooms and there are signs around every corner warning you not to trip over your own feet. And is this the only country where people think sundried tomatoes and granary are posh? Aaaaaah. And the worst of all, I could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    (I was in a bad mood when I wrote this, everyone needs a random grumble sometimes )
    I also hate it here, mainly due to the weather and as you mention how much of nanny state Britain is. Hope to move away as soon as i graduate from uni, hopefully to america/Australia

ReputationRep:
    i love the UK, woudn't want to live anywhere else.
    you should be grateful you live here, people are dying trying to achieve the sort of democracy and freedom we have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.