Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impsmith)
    have you ever been there? spent much time there, not just a week in Florida or New York? they don't have "everything" we have - certainly not the NHS or much of a welfare system. A lot of the towns are horrible too - they're just long strips of fast food, supermarkets, etc built along a road, surrounded by nasty-looking houses, trailer parks, etc. Most of the architecture outside the big cities is crap, pure and simple, and in the big cities the grid system they seem to love is such a boring way to lay out a town. There's a lot of things right about the USA and it seems like a great place to be rich, but unless you've a lot of money I'd suggest looking into what you'd be living in, what healthcare you could afford, and how you'd be able to pay your rent.
    Sorry, I'm not going to lie, but I have family bupa cover :cool: And I'm not ashamed Well I am really. If there's anyone who thinks money can buy you happiness, it can't. I'd settle for a much simpler life. I'm unhappy enough to post a thread about hating where I live, and I don't deny it. I love the lines of ramsackled wooden houses you see in the States. It feels so much more laid back than the rows of pretencious 50's brick shoeboxes with their cluttered, manicured rockeries and wheelie bins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    It's a great country. The problems that hold it back are because we are forgetting that. We have people telling us to be like America, Be like france. We should be like England.

We're losing cultural identity and that's what starts to make Britain a bland place.
    Yes yes yes.

It does annoy me how unfriendly Britons can be - I can't really compare or generalise, but I'm pretty sure there's some truth in that stereotype. Also, the boozing culture! Really don't like British films either... :rolleyes:

I love the English countryside though, British fashion, and some of our foods like scones, chips, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kw2012)
    I also hate it here, mainly due to the weather and as you mention how much of nanny state Britain is. Hope to move away as soon as i graduate from uni, hopefully to america/Australia
    I officially commend you on your attitude. I award you with the honorary imaginary glass award sculpture for making me feel not so alone. Because I can So there Britain Defenders. (Although, please do keep keep sending in your defences for Britain everyone, it really is most entertaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    Yes yes yes.

It does annoy me how unfriendly Britons can be - I can't really compare or generalise, but I'm pretty sure there's some truth in that stereotype. Also, the boozing culture! Really don't like British films either... :rolleyes:

I love the English countryside though, British fashion, and some of our foods like scones, chips, etc.
    Scones? Aren't they those doughey lumps of insulation old people smother with clotted cream and hartleys at village green appreciation meetings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    it's so true! i miss the windy roads, and the ability to actually be able to just walk to the shops. you just can't do that in north america.
    yup that's something I missed when I was there. the whole country is too spaced out!

ReputationRep:
    No natural disasters

No overly hot or cold weather

No huge spiders

Yeah I'm happy here

ReputationRep:
    I hate British culture. I'm happy to accept that I'm lucky to live in Britain and so on but our drunk, lazy, pretentious ******** annoys me too much.

When I get the chance, I'll move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    Oh sod it, I said I'd sit back and relax and now look at me lol. I think everyone has what everyone else wants in Britain, and those who have it don't appreciate it. I'm one of those people. I can go wondering out over my back fence and there's miles of public fields and forest. But I don't appreciate it really, I don't know anyone in this village to enjoy it with.
    I know... they're lonely places. I was on a gap year earning money but I cant afford a car, so i had no social life, getting to work was also a joke. (This has turned my rant into less about britain but more about my village...) So... ahem... towns.. hate them too, especially ones whose average school gcse pass rate is below 30%... Not being stuck up, some of them are fine... but they have a high correlation with the amount of rude boys and their pregnant girlfriends

ReputationRep:
    Scones? Aren't they those doughey lumps of insulation old people smother with clotted cream and hartleys at village green appreciation meetings?
    Mmmm, yes, and it's the greatest combination ever!

our educational system? lol Compare Cambridge with Harvard. (I'm probably not getting the point though, sorry)
    Cambridge is better than Harvard. And this is coming from an Oxonian. Harvard sucks unless you are doing postgrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skies)
    No natural disasters

No overly hot or cold weather

No huge spiders

Yeah I'm happy here
    Actually yes, my friend was telling me about staying in Jamaica with all manners of gigantic creepy-crawlies, eeek.

Oh, I love the English language too!

ReputationRep:
    WTF is British condition lol. what a load of beep haha

ReputationRep:
    Actually yes, my friend was telling me about staying in Jamaica with all manners of gigantic creepy-crawlies, eeek.

Oh, I love the English language too!
    Single reason why I hate going abroad.

The worst thing I have found here is a modestly sized house spider, which was bad enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes yes.

yes french fries are one of our greatest inventions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RangerX)
    WTF is British condition lol. what a load of beep haha
    If you come from the land of the orange people, the red pick-up trucks and pumpkin pie like you say you do, then you could never understand.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm not going to lie, but I have family bupa cover :cool: And I'm not ashamed Well I am really. If there's anyone who thinks money can buy you happiness, it can't. I'd settle for a much simpler life. I'm unhappy enough to post a thread about hating where I live, and I don't deny it. I love the lines of ramsackled wooden houses you see in the States. It feels so much more laid back than the rows of pretencious 50's brick shoeboxes with their cluttered, manicured rockeries and wheelie bins
    that's fine that you like those ramshackle wooden houses, I like the skyscrapers in Manhattan, the New England clapboard houses in autumn, the houses backing onto the water in Miami. It also has inner-city ghettos with life expectancies and adult illiteracy rates only slightly better than those of Bangladesh, an utter reliance on the car outside the big cities, and many trailer parks. Don't idealise a nice part of the country and pretend that it's "better", that's like saying you love Britain because of the dreaming spires of Oxford, the big houses you'll find all over the countryside, or the cricket match on the village green. Britain is far more than those things and the USA, especially the (often quite poor) South is far more than a row of ramshackle houses. don't over-romanticise it.

I think your problem isn't with Britain, it's that you're diffident/purposeless and you blame your environment. Perhaps if you did have sex in the park and get jolly well drunk, you'd like Britain more, I don't know. They say a change is as good as a rest though, go elsewhere and see if you're happier. I think you would be simply because it might change your negative mindset into a positive one.

ReputationRep:
    If you come from the land of the orange people, the red pick-up trucks and pumpkin pie like you say you do, then you could never understand.

lol seriously you don't understand what is like to be alienated. You humans complain too much and are never satisfied or appreciate what you have. You say I could never understand but you are wrong I overstand.

ReputationRep:
    Having not lived in England for 9 years I do miss it and actually think it is as good/better than a lot of countries I've been to. Despite its shortcomings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butchered_wyer)
    Sooner all of you who dont like it here leave...the better, if you think its that "bad" here...try go living in a poverty stricken country, then you might appreciate what you have!!

amen to that!

ReputationRep:
    im an minority of the minority thats born n bred here. its much worse for me! racism...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.