Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madsh33p)
    It is not thanks to Britain that English is a the dominant language but more thanks to the American influence.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    our educational system? lol Compare Cambridge with Harvard. (I'm probably not getting the point though, sorry)
    America is a much larger country than us though...you can't expect us to be better than them in every way

ReputationRep:
    there's nothing wrong with being 'protected', not that I think we are. Plug sockets in BATHROOMS, that's just stupid!

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by madsh33p
    It is not thanks to Britain that English is a the dominant language but more thanks to the American influence

^^^ this is stupid! The British colonised america, so the 'americans' were actually british first!

ReputationRep:
    Being English, we leave national pride to the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish.

Well most of us do. I love being British, and you cannot beat our countryside, it's bee-yoo-tee-ful

ReputationRep:
    i wander how many people who say they want to move to america in their heads go

"it will be awesome and just like friends" or sex in the city etc.

when i heard a girl say this on the bus she was very swiftly shot down, by people who actually know what america is like.

familiarity breeds contempt, i've lived near the gower peninsular (first "area of natural beauty" in the uk) near swansea all my life, could literally see it from my bedroom window and couldnt have cared less. Only when i took my gf from uni and other uni friends in uni down there and they were amazed at how beautiful it was did i really start to appreciate it.

Seriously people are blind to the beauty on their own doorstep

ReputationRep:
    I love Britain and being British. I could never ever bring myself to pack up all my things and move from here permanently because this country is my home.

I am always told by parents and friends how they could live the rest of their lives happily in a house somewhere in France, Spain or somewhere like that; they think that those countries trump us for natural beauty and to be honest I couldn't think of a thing nicer than the countryside over here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of it, but then again I wasn't born here and will be taking the first plane out after graduation

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one. I don't dislike the country, but there are certain things I can't stand. I'm worried about where our civil liberties are going with all this "photographer arrested in the street for taking photos of a policeman"

If you watch this you will get angry:

I dlslike where we're going, with CCTV camera filming us everywhere we go, unnecessary government involvement in personal life.

And the weather SUCKS.

That said, I'm glad we have the NHS, which while it has its faults, is an excellent idea and should be fixed. I dislike how much we're charged for living essentials. I dislike such taxes as inheritance tax and death duty. I'm worried about the future of this country. I dislike political correctness. I could go on, but I probably shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    We have better sex.

ReputationRep:
    I hate a lot of things about this country, but most of them are down to New Labour. So I am hoping some things will change back.

ReputationRep:
    I love Britain and i am proud to be a British citizen.
    OK so the weather is absolutely crap, everything is overpriced, the houses are small and naff, and yet again over priced, we are overcrowded, our food is rather basic and our streets can be dirty and tacky. I have just come back from a 6 week trip travelling across Europe and some of the things i have seen have made me scorn at Britain i admit.
    but look at what we do have! Go to the Lake District national park in Cumbria where the scenery is outstanding. Some of the lakes and mountain ranges there are just stunning, or to Pembrokeshire in south wales (our only coastal national park) Some of the beaches there and truly breathtaking. They are as beautiful on a wonderful day as the Caribbean (I have been to the Caribbean too so i know they are worthy of comparison) Head to the Peak district or the Yorkshire dales for awe inspiring views and complete tranquility. Aside from this, look at our history compared to other countries like America. We are full of it, and have hundreds of really amazing castles and grand houses to prove it. Honestly before you put Britain down, you ought to visit some of our heritage sights. They are fantastic. I'm a member of the national trust and the places you visit for free with your membership are brilliant.
    Aside from that, think about Asian and African countries who suffer severe poverty, who have no water and dry, infertile landscapes and feel lucky for our generous welfare system, our education and the NHS.
    I'm rambling now, but one more thing, British comedians are some of the best! they really are.
    Just enjoy what you have in life and be proud of what we do have.
    You could always go traveling for a while and i bet you anything you will miss home after some time.

ReputationRep:
    I like Britain and I like British people, I don't care if the grass is greener elsewhere, this is where I belong.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy complaining about things but doing nothing to improve them.:proud:

ReputationRep:
    Yes sometimes this country gets a bit shout worthy, but then I think because we live here it's inevitable that we become irritated by it. But deep down I love this country, and as much as I may say that I want to move abroad, I know I could never do it. It's similar to how as much as I complain about the area I was brought up in, I know that if my kids were brought up in this area they would have a lot to be thankful for.

I love our ability and almost love for complaining, the British sense of humour, and especially the rare and unexpected beautiful day that puts a smile on everybody's face. As many people have said, and which I realised when reading through this thread, we don't realise how lucky we are and do take it for granted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    oh my god, and this country is way too small. I Also live in Tonbridge lol
    I used to live in Tunbridge Wells if that counts!

I think, it's just a bit same old same old, stay in London or somewhere, then go to Rome, Rome in my opinion, so much better for so many reasons.

The English country side is lovely, the area around Tunbridge Wells was lovely, and where I live now is really nice, but go to the Italian countryside where my family live and it's just a lot nicer, maybe a bit more backwards technology wise, but the community feeling you get with festa's always live music and people are just so sociable.

But then I probably wouldn't leave England till I am a lot older!

ReputationRep:
    i hate britain, why cant i be born in the USA or somehting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthejubileeline)
    I like Britain and I like British people, I don't care if the grass is greener elsewhere, this is where I belong.
    This.

Some people, both British and American friends, think I'm mad for saying I'm moving back to Britain next year. Why could I possibly want to live in Britain when I could live in the great US of A. Because I belong in Britain.

Britain is better too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    i hate britain, why cant i be born in the USA or somehting?
    You'd rather have been born in the USA, a country without universal healthcare, and where you could be turned away from a hospital for treatment as you don't have the right health insurance?

It's not so great there, trust me, I've been living it the past four years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxrachelmolyneuxx)
    I love Britain and i am proud to be a British citizen.
    OK so the weather is absolutely crap, everything is overpriced, the houses are small and naff, and yet again over priced, we are overcrowded, our food is rather basic and our streets can be dirty and tacky. I have just come back from a 6 week trip travelling across Europe and some of the things i have seen have made me scorn at Britain i admit.
    but look at what we do have! Go to the Lake District national park in Cumbria where the scenery is outstanding. Some of the lakes and mountain ranges there are just stunning, or to Pembrokeshire in south wales (our only coastal national park) Some of the beaches there and truly breathtaking. They are as beautiful on a wonderful day as the Caribbean (I have been to the Caribbean too so i know they are worthy of comparison) Head to the Peak district or the Yorkshire dales for awe inspiring views and complete tranquility. Aside from this, look at our history compared to other countries like America. We are full of it, and have hundreds of really amazing castles and grand houses to prove it. Honestly before you put Britain down, you ought to visit some of our heritage sights. They are fantastic. I'm a member of the national trust and the places you visit for free with your membership are brilliant.
    Aside from that, think about Asian and African countries who suffer severe poverty, who have no water and dry, infertile landscapes and feel lucky for our generous welfare system, our education and the NHS.
    I'm rambling now, but one more thing, British comedians are some of the best! they really are.
    Just enjoy what you have in life and be proud of what we do have.
    You could always go traveling for a while and i bet you anything you will miss home after some time.
    Exactly! We have the most wonderful hertiage; from Roman amphitheaters and Stonehenge to World War 2 relics. Why leave all that behind? Your past is just as much of your present as the... well, present! :yes:
    And on British comedy and humour I couldn't agree more! Yes, Minister, Blackadder, Fry and Laurie... all excellent. Have you watched any Aussie sitcoms? They're shocking! And the American ones? You can't even compare Friends to some of the good old-school British stuff!
    Finally, the NHS, for all its faults, is one of the greatest political achievements of the 20th century. To all those haters, aren't you happy we're 11th globally for healthcare? And how much of a nonsense does it seem when you go to somewhere like the US and they actually still have to pay for any medical treatment? We don't realise how fantastically lucky we are by being able to just walk into a doctors' surgery and expect to receive it free at the time of use?

People simply don't appreciate what they have

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.