Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's quite poignant that that particular PCSO isn't quintessentially British, and the Little caucasian Englishman remains almost completely silent throughout.

That video makes my blood boil, born in England to a Scottish father and Irish mother I am effectively the British Isles made flesh!

ReputationRep:
    I love living here! All the reasons that everyone is saying why they dont like it here is what you would miss is you left - even the crappy weather! i think that even if i moved away for a while i think i would always come back.

ReputationRep:
    Britain's alright. Wish we had kept America though - you don't need to leave that country, ever. It's got pretty much everything (geographically speaking).

ReputationRep:
    I like Manchester but Britain as a whole can't say I love it at all.

I mean, Britain looks bad to other countries and I can see why, in alot of parts of the country it is Horrible but I like Britain and I am proud to be English, and I do consider myself English not British.

I like the country but of course I'm gonna moan about the weather :P but really, I hate the government. We have a weak ****** government in power that is just a puppet with our strings being pulled by America, what a load of ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I personally despise Britain at the moment, but on a purely political basis. Were we better governed, it would be paradise.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly..

if we had somebody with some sense in power and not this shambles at the moment then this could be a much better place.

I think America is run in a very stupid way but we are aswell. Particularly Britain I think Britain can't work when countries like Scotland have their own parliament or whatever? I don't fully understand it but I don't know how it's meant to work. :woo:

I would love to move to Canada

ReputationRep:
    I love Britain. I love that it's small and pokey, that taps leak in our houses, that our food can be stogy and that we moan all the time. I've visited Canada and whilst it was nice it was just too big really. The countryside etc. was amazing but I still prefer England. I love when you are driving along a lane and you get to the top of a hill and all the countryside seems to open up in front of you. You can see right to another set of hills and in between is a patchwork of fields and trees with villages and houses dotted around. Everytime I see something like that I'm rememinded of why I could never leave.

We perhapse talk about the weather a bit to often, but it changes every day you see :p: (sometimes a lot more often than that) I love how we queue up for things and how when adversity hits we muddle through. Yes some things need changeing and our freedoms have been eroded as of late but it's still pretty great and if you don't like an aspect do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    Democracy, NHS, Education, Oppertunities, Excellent Army, Luxery Items, Entertainment, An ok climate and not a high risk of tornados etc.....

People actually que here... it's not just all ram to the front (bloody tourists)

ReputationRep:
    Well I think the saying "You don't know what you've got til it's gone.." is implied here. I'm proud to be British, love the place... I don't EVER want to move. Yes a lot of British complain a lot, just like you, but you've got to learn to deal with what you have and make the most of it and for your statement about how we all are incapable of trying anything new.. well that's ******** because I, for one am one of those people that like to stretch myself each day, trying new things and what not.

ReputationRep:
    If you go ANYWHERE for a week, of course you're going to think the UK sucks. You'll only see the nice things, you can obviously afford to spend more each day than you would back home, and the pound's always been pretty strong (up until now) so going abroad means you can get much more for your money. Besides, if you're somewhere for a week or two you'd never dream of leaving the touristy places of the city centre or beach to go to the suburbs to see how the average person lives.

Spend a year in another country on wages from that country and then you'll realise the UK has it pretty good, and no country is free of problems. Every country thinks it's crime is out of control, every country thinks it's medical system is in the pits, every country thinks it's youth are running wild.

It's the same the world over. People get wrapped up in the media storm telling them everything about their country is bad without reporting on any other country. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    All this ******* moaning!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people look at France and the United States through rose-tinted spectacles when comparing them to Britain. They're both brilliant in their own respective ways (as is Britain), but they both have endemic problems even more deep-rooted than they are here.

ReputationRep:
    British through and through, in my opinion if you don't think britain is great you havn't seen the great bits. (Not trying to suggest you've grown up in some countryside town and therefore have that as an idea of what England consists of) but I love it, although I will surely move somewhere else later in life, I believe you can't live in one place forever, that would be a boring boring life indeed.

Also: I find the people in england are vastly more interesting than Americans (I don't want it to come accross the wrong way) but I've met alot of both and alot of Americans are very close-minded, often they can't see past America, as if it is the world. (There are clearly exceptions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    our educational system? lol Compare Cambridge with Harvard. (I'm probably not getting the point though, sorry)
    it's more about compare some tinpot public school district in Bumfeck Idaho with with Blankshire's LEA ...

ReputationRep:
    our educational system? lol Compare Cambridge with Harvard. (I'm probably not getting the point though, sorry)
    Pfffft British universities are far superior to their American counterparts! :p:

It's just those Yanks make a great deal about their standards and achievements whereas places like Cambridge and Oxford were educating the country's (and soon after, world's) smartest people a long time before Harvard even existed. The greatest achievements and discoveries have undoubtedly been made here. :yes:

I must say that I too romanticise greatly about other countries: American where I've been a few times, South Africa, Dubai and increasingly north India which is becoming increasingly more modern every time I go. However it's probably more a case of "the grass is always greener..." and as others have already mentioned, moaning and grumbling about everything is a very British tradition which, evidently, doesn't seem under threat one bit!

ReputationRep:
    If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing.
    If you live for an extended period of time in another country, you'll start to find faults there as well. Going a way for a week is having a holiday, you're not really incorporating yourself into the system and putting yourself in an equal position to judge both places. Not to mention that feeling settled in a place often has to do with how we are and what we're used to and what connections we make, not so much the place itself. As for the food, well, erm, start cooking French food at home? Om nom nom.

Also, just a thought, but if you live in a city, try imagining life in a rural village. Or vice versa. Think about how shaking up your routine within the UK would change what you do and what there is around you.

edit: Notice how I've avoided even trying to compare different countries. I don't think there's any need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    you're forgetting how much freedom we have here. especially compared to some countries. also you're forgetting the educational system and NHS. but we're british; we complain about everything and you will probably complain about this, too.
    Someone give this girl a cookie.

She's hit the nail on the head. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    St Patrick's Day is irish :shh:
    lol I know, but N. Ireland is part of the UK last time I checked. Even is it's not, us lot in England still use it as an excuse to get pissed

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt imagine living anywhere else apart from Britain. I don't see why peole think that its the pits here, I could understand people thinking, 'oh the food is a bit better over in...' but not 'Britain is a pile of sh*t, this country sucks'.

Think about it, FREE healthcare, even if it is a bit ropey at times. And superior to American healthcare which is wholly private, so if you dont have the money, no treatment. And the point about no natural disaters. Britain is one of the most eatrhquake prone nations in the world, and the vast majority of them are negligible.

The food may seem boring, but how much of that is based on food you chuck in and microwave? Every other country has that with their cuisine, have you ever had venison, or even a proper pasty, not a supermaket one? Even homeade ones are better than those.

And the whole MPs scandal? Thats not a scandal. Thats just proof of how strong our democratic system is. You go to India and see what actual corruption is, not that im on the MPs side, but it shows that if we get in an uproar about that, nothing of the corruption on the scale in India will happen.

Our roads are always in a state of disrepair, and our trains are always late right? Well yeah, the roads arent great, not catastrophically bad though, and the trains in Britain are actually more punctual than the ones in France! All you may have heard of is the TGVs, and they are usually on time. The commuter services in France are complete rubbish however.

Our education is of a decent standard, and the crime isnt that bad. Inner cities here are better than say, Detroit. We have a brilliant sporting legacy, and our music is a lot better than most nations, British music rules Europe, for example, and the Amearican rock scene isnt what it was. DOes anyone thing Fall Out Boy is the best they can do? The Killers are good, but they are a major exception.

Well thats as robust a defence of Britain as I can be bothered to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Nope. I love England. British girl through and through. I'm fine with your post though, grumbling is a national past time and should be celebrated.
    I also live in Tonbridge ... :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing. The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses. And there's so much oversafety everywhere, we can't be trusted to have plug sockets in our bathrooms and there are signs around every corner warning you not to trip over your own feet. And is this the only country where people think sundried tomatoes and granary are posh? Aaaaaah. And the worst of all, I could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    (I was in a bad mood when I wrote this, everyone needs a random grumble sometimes )
    Sometimes I need a change from the norm (i.e. Britain) and going abroad is like a breath of fresh air. Invariably though after about 2 weeks johnny foreigner starts to annoy me and then I'm glad to get back home.
    No I don't like a lot of things about this country, but I also don't like a lot of things about other countries.
    Nowhere is perfect and when you look at our general standard of living, we don't have it bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.