Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So thought this thread was going a different way...

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ernative_names

ReputationRep:
    Their fashion is also a little dead. I don't mean the celebs etc, they're rocking their stuff well. I'm on about the normal young people. But that's just something I noticed about the people I know who live there.

The people our age also have crap phones. LOL :p:

ReputationRep:
    You could have been born in a deprived area of Africa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    lol I know, but N. Ireland is part of the UK last time I checked. Even is it's not, us lot in England still use it as an excuse to get pissed
    lol it is, but you were on about loving being english (even though you said british in your first sentence :p:)

Just thought i'd point it out before anyone else did. :bubbles:

But yes, yes we do use it as an excuse to get pissed.

ReputationRep:
    grass is always greener

ReputationRep:
    I like Britain but I want to experience the world, so I'll probably leave for a while. I'll be back, though.

ReputationRep:
    Britain is an oddity of a place.

It easily has the greatest history of any nation on Earth. Henry the 8th, Shakespeare, the Industrial Revolution, colonization... All that greatness means we don't set our sights high

ReputationRep:
    I've probably reacted badly to the culture shock of living in the UK (despite being half English myself), but I agree with the OP and would very seriously suggest anyone our age move to mainland Europe. People here are less uptight, whine less, aren't as goddamn obssessed with media personalities & television, have better taste in food & drink, and are generally more open minded because Europeans all think alike (i.e. a Bulgarian can easily get along with a Spaniard).

Golly, look at all these bitter generalisations I'm making. I think I'm being a bit of hypocrite here :redface:...

ReputationRep:
    If i left i'd miss British humour the most.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i could live in america though...Americans are too smiley and friendly, it would just irritate me after a while. I love the good old British sense of humour too...But i must admit British food is s***!!

Oh and i love the TEA tradition...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I love Britain and being British.

So no.
    :ditto:

As much as I love other countries, I could never leave and live elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Every country has it's crap points and the UK is no exception, but personally, I'm can think of worse nationalities to be than British!

ReputationRep:
    Heracy.

ReputationRep:
    Go and live in Rwanda for a few weeks, then you'll stop complaining

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, Perspective Man has shown up to remind us just how much worse we could have it. Thanks, Perspective Man, you're a true hero :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    Is there anyone else that was born and bred in Britain, but really, can't stand it? Or is it just me? If you leave this country for a week, and escape to anywhere, America, France, you can't help thinking what a pretencious, tea-drinking nanny state we really are. Bad food, our reluctancy to try anything new, booze, shepherds pie and plastic double glazing. The crowded towns and endless colonades of soleless brick-built dolls houses. And there's so much oversafety everywhere, we can't be trusted to have plug sockets in our bathrooms and there are signs around every corner warning you not to trip over your own feet. And is this the only country where people think sundried tomatoes and granary are posh? Aaaaaah. And the worst of all, I could never leave. Someone pleeease remind me why I should really love growing up here
    (I was in a bad mood when I wrote this, everyone needs a random grumble sometimes )
    lrn2spell

ReputationRep:
    Yes, England is better than every poverty stricken country and is probably better than some not so poverty stricken ones. However, it is ran by a bunch of money grabbing fools who like nothing better than screwing the tax paying public out of their money.

We have a gang of people roaming the streets victimising the young and any road user going a small fraction over the speed limit, who arrest people to keep up their "targets" instead of capturing theives, murderer and rapists.

We work constantly and pay our hard earned money to a government who then hand it over to people who havent worked a day in their lives.

We pay money towards health care, then are denied it because the beds in the hospital are taken up by old people who have been kicked out of their nursing homes, and because we are funding thousands of smack heads methadone habit.

Then we have the weather. We used to have at least a month of sun for a summer. Now we are lucky to get a couple of weeks. No wonder everyone in this hell hole is depressed and obese!

I, for one, will be leaving this cesspit of a country before it ends up exactly like on V for Vendetta!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    our educational system? lol Compare Cambridge with Harvard. (I'm probably not getting the point though, sorry)
    Harvard is number 1 in the world.
    I believe Cambridge is number 3.

There's hardly that big a discrepancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Nope. I love England. British girl through and through. I'm fine with your post though, grumbling is a national past time and should be celebrated.
    :love:

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    I like being British and sometimes prefer our humour-its hilarious to see a quintessential English character on American films (see Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Jumper). I prefer our accents though. I fear that I too have British syndrome but I don't know if I could move to the US and adjust to American accents versus British ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.