Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You went to America, and it made you think the state was too powerful here?

Obviously someone didn't visit New York or Washington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :love:

That is all.
    Confused. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    hmm I agree about the food bit, it's absolutely crap here.

As with any country, good points and bad points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madsh33p)
    It is not thanks to Britain that English is a the dominant language but more thanks to the American influence.
    And where do you think America got their influence from...?

Angloisation (I think I just made that up) was probably also largely helped by the British empire which covered like a quarter of the worlds surface....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    Yes, England is better than every poverty stricken country and is probably better than some not so poverty stricken ones. However, it is ran by a bunch of money grabbing fools who like nothing better than screwing the tax paying public out of their money.

We have a gang of people roaming the streets victimising the young and any road user going a small fraction over the speed limit, who arrest people to keep up their "targets" instead of capturing theives, murderer and rapists.

We work constantly and pay our hard earned money to a government who then hand it over to people who havent worked a day in their lives.

We pay money towards health care, then are denied it because the beds in the hospital are taken up by old people who have been kicked out of their nursing homes, and because we are funding thousands of smack heads methadone habit.

Then we have the weather. We used to have at least a month of sun for a summer. Now we are lucky to get a couple of weeks. No wonder everyone in this hell hole is depressed and obese!

I, for one, will be leaving this cesspit of a country before it ends up exactly like on V for Vendetta!
    Have you ever thought about tabloid journalism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    I also live in Tonbridge ... :woo:
    everybody lives in sodding Tonbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy_25)
    everybody lives in sodding Tonbridge
    It's a damned good town that's why :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I completely understand what you're feeling~ Really, the only cure is to leave Britain. Go while you're young, explore, have fun, but remember to find a job that you can do if you come back! Eventually there are at least aspects of Britain that you will miss, and it's always the things you least expect that make you smile after stepping off the plane back onto British soil. I speak from experience. I've spent the last seven/eight years or so in Britain, and after a while I was just so djksafjskljfksdlTIRED of it all that I decided to go abroad for eight months to Northern Cyprus. And ohhhh boy, was I glad to be back after all that. And then I left again for Japan. Old habits die hard. Ignore me. ♥

But then, conversely, you can find a place that you're so in love with that Britain never compares again. If you think on the bright side, though, that scenario is a total winner ♥

Have fun whatever you do! And you're not alone, I know a lot of people who feel the same way, no matter what country they're from. ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1991)
    Have you ever thought about tabloid journalism?
    Example of target driven police culture.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...hire-southwark

Example where hospital capacity is stretched due to lack of nursing homes etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1523829.html

ID cards are just one step in the direction of total control by the government.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/idcards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    you're forgetting how much freedom we have here. especially compared to some countries. also you're forgetting the educational system and NHS. but we're british; we complain about everything and you will probably complain about this, too.
    Precisely the point. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    If you work and are a tax payer, the NHS sucks. It is only good if you do not work or contribute in any way. I would much rather pay my national insurance to a private health care company so i get the care i pay for, rather than pay and someone else get the care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    Example of target driven police culture.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...hire-southwark

Example where hospital capacity is stretched due to lack of nursing homes etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1523829.html

ID cards are just one step in the direction of total control by the government.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/idcards
    Yeah I know. Don't think I would have said what I did without the expectation stories like that'd be hurled at me :yes:

A sexual assault unit has been found to be at fault? Good. It was found out wasn't it? Something is being done, no? And "one" of Scotland Yard's sexual assault units has been found at fault, not all. That is an important fact to bear in mind; don't write off the whole on the evidence of an individual case.

And in a country where we are all entitled to healthcare, of course the hospitals are at the moment stretched. But that is a problem that can't be solved is it? Something this country should be labelled a cess-hole for? No. It is a nonsense to say that it will always stay like that.

Personally, I am for ID cards. They are far from the 'total government control' that the Guardian would inevetably label them as. Everyone will have one - if you don't the conclusion should be drawn that you a)either have something to hide or b)shouldn't be here. What's bad about that? And to the argument that says "an ID card won't stop a terrorist": well, has the current system either? Hm.

Also, never mind the poverty-stricken nations you pointed to earlier. Wouldn't you rather live here than in Italy? I know I certainly wouldn't like to live in a country run by a man like Berlusconi. Spain? Racism amongst the normal working classes far in excess of anything typically found here. Central Europe? The rise of highly nationalist and mainstream parties in that region is troubling to say the least. France? The largest Muslim population in Europe resides there and the levels of deprivation and poverty they are forced into (at least in major urban areas) exceeds that of here in Britain. And while we're at it, shall we skip across the pond to the US to learn what real government intrusion into peoples' lives looks like?

I won't list the faults of this country as you and I both know what they are. But just bear in mind, before you **** off my home that in comparison to other European - even world - countries it has an equal burden of things to worry about, and in some cases less so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1991)
    Yeah I know. Don't think I would have said what I did without the expectation stories like that'd be hurled at me :yes:

A sexual assault unit has been found to be at fault? Good. It was found out wasn't it? Something is being done, no? And "one" of Scotland Yard's sexual assault units has been found at fault, not all. That is an important fact to bear in mind; don't write off the whole on the evidence of an individual case.

And in a country where we are all entitled to healthcare, of course the hospitals are at the moment stretched. But that is a problem that can't be solved is it? Something this country should be labelled a cess-hole for? No. It is a nonsense to say that it will always stay like that.

Personally, I am for ID cards. They are far from the 'total government control' that the Guardian would inevetably label them as. Everyone will have one - if you don't the conclusion should be drawn that you a)either have something to hide or b)shouldn't be here. What's bad about that? And to the argument that says "an ID card won't stop a terrorist": well, has the current system either? Hm.

Also, never mind the poverty-stricken nations you pointed to earlier. Wouldn't you rather live here than in Italy? I know I certainly wouldn't like to live in a country run by a man like Berlusconi. Spain? Racism amongst the normal working classes far in excess of anything typically found here. Central Europe? The rise of highly nationalist and mainstream parties in that region is troubling to say the least. France? The largest Muslim population in Europe resides there and the levels of deprivation and poverty they are forced into (at least in major urban areas) exceeds that of here in Britain. And while we're at it, shall we skip across the pond to the US to learn what real government intrusion into peoples' lives looks like?

I won't list the faults of this country as you and I both know what they are. But just bear in mind, before you **** off my home that in comparison to other European - even world - countries it has an equal burden of things to worry about, and in some cases less so.

This country has been my home for a considerably longer time than it has yours, and fortunately for you, you have not had the chance to become disillusioned with it.

What i want out of a country is a "get what you pay for" mentality. If you work, you get decent healthcare. If you work, you get a place to live. If you have never worked you get nothing. Why should i work to support people who refuse to get off their arses and contribute to society?

Yes, it was a good thing that the particular police force was found out, but there shouldnt be a target driven police force in the first place to cause such a mistake. Police officers shouldnt be forced into giving out speeding tickets and stopping youths in the street to meet a target when there are rapists, murderers and theives out there comitting real crimes.

The fact that the ID cards are no longer compusory for everyone is a winning situation for those campaigning for greater privacy. I do not want a database of information on me stored for some government idiot to lose on a train!

Since we let every tom, **** and harry into this country to begin with, what is to say that the government wont just issue these people with an ID card as soon as they arrive anyway?

I used to love this country as much as you clearly do, but the mistakes this government has made in running it over the past few years has drastically reduced the pride i once had at being English.

ReputationRep:
    After staying i Hong Kong for 2 months, i hate this country too!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by natty_d)
    Someone give this girl a cookie.

She's hit the nail on the head. :yep:
    yay!!!!!

:cookie:

:five:
    honestly some poeple are just so ignorant of their advantages of being in this country. makes me want to :argh:
    we don;t get millions of immigrants ofr nothing, they come here becuase their own countries are messed up in some way e.g. lack of jobs, poor healthcare, cant afford to live there, better unis. blah blah the list goes on. some people just love to complain. it a perfectly natural british thing to do. good job im italian, so i dont complain when i know ive got it super easy comepared to some peopler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    You could never leave? I bloody could. Hate this country (and yes, I am leaving, before any smartarse advises me to do so).
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    I love England. Born here and still love it now 22 years later :yep:

:love:

ReputationRep:
    You making a thread about it is very British.

I'd rather be here than USA, any day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm either going back to Scotland, or going to Switzerland, France or Italy, or going to Australia. Oooh or Denmark/Finland/Sweden.

I'd love to (if I decided to go on after undergrad) do a postgrad something or other in America though, just for the experience. Then get the hell out!

(Original post by Phugoid)
    To be fair, I think the fact that we don't learn a 2nd language is because we don't need to.

If you live anywhere else in Europe, you pretty much do need to learn English. Not because we refuse to learn their language, but because the English-speaking world has become so successful in business, the arts, science, etc. And therefore, to appreciate the greatest works of the 20th century, English is a necessity. The British, as a collective (although I hate the collective...) have earned the right to have their language be the hallmark of Europe.

If it was the other way around, and say, Spain, was a world leader in the film, book, business and scientific communities, then I'm absolutely certain that Spanish would be the 2nd language of a majority of British people. I'm not convinced that our reluctance to learn a new language is born out of laziness, arrogance, or a rejection of all things foreign.
    I wouldn't say that the English's "reluctance to learn a new language is born out of laziness, arrogance, or a rejection of all things foreign". In fact, I think it's the other way round.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.