Turn on thread page Beta

Lit or Lang? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At a Level which one is more respected? Which one is easier?

I want to do English Lang cos i like it at GCSE and the A Level Slyabus seems very interesting. However i get the impressions it isnt as good as lit.

One of my teachers said that lang is considered more academic and that when she was at university (studying Lit) the lit students were often jealous of the lang students.

So what is you opinion?

I would be very grateful for any help. But please dont post saying u suggest i dont do either cos my English is poor - those kinda posters annoy me! Lol...cheers...

ReputationRep:
    Lit is certainly the traditional English to do, and is thus probably a tad more respected.

ReputationRep:
    Literature is definitely the more respected, and from what I have heard its the easier too.

And english language at A Level is nothing like it is at GCSE btw

ReputationRep:
    from what i know lit is the more respected but lang is the easier out of the two, but some 6forms/colleges let u do both of them as one subject.im currently doin eng lit and i think its ok.its not exactly hard but i think its better then high school

ReputationRep:
    Do you wan't to do english at uni. if so CHECK! i almost made the huge mistake of taking english lang at A level (but took lit instead). I later found out that as i want to apply to cambridge to study english you have to either do combined eng lit and lang or lit at A2 level. I read somewhere that english language at A-level is not sufficient qualification for taking english at certain unis. or something.

Sorry if none of the above made complete sense lol. Im having some strange sort of delusion caused from "tHe heAt OppResSEd BrAin!!" *reaches for Mcbeth's dagger* Grrrar!

ReputationRep:
    Eng lit is possibly the most funnest most juciest most yummy subject ever! It's so wonderful! *cries*

Help! I'm goin all freakyyyy!!! (but really i do LOVE LOVE LOVE eng lit at the moment, maybe cos our teacher is like, The God of all english teachers or something. hes so funny lol.

hey! yeah another good point! research about the staff! an enthusiastic teacher makes youd do all the more better i'd say woo!

ReputationRep:
    I do not want to do english as a degree. I spoke to the english language english teacher and she made the subject seem really fascinating. Learning about speech and dialects interests me...i dunno why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    I do not want to do english as a degree. I spoke to the english language english teacher and she made the subject seem really fascinating. Learning about speech and dialects interests me...i dunno why.
    Even though english lit is more respected, if you want to do english language then you might as well choose it over lit as you'll find it more interesting and may therefore do better in it. As you don't want to do a english degree, I doubt your choice will really affect your chances when applying to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    I'm finding the stuff I learnt for English language A-level really useful now I'm doing a psychology degree. Stages of child language acquisition, people's attitudes to regional dialects etc.

It was definitely my favourite A-level. People in my group who did both lang and lit found lit easier but mostly preferred lang. Language isn't so clear cut in terms of what is right and wrong, ie you can't call a particular dialect of English wrong, it is non-standard...

If you don't want to do English then I'd advise you to take lang.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.