Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Big dilemma. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure where this should go, so if I've got this wrong, sorry, move it where appropriate .

I am sick of this country. I'm at the point where, everyone is moving apart and doing different things, I've had friends just decide one day that they want to work abroad and the next week move abroad , just like that. I've got friends moving to America, Spain, Italy, everywhere to do amazing things and I'm just stuck here. I would love nothing more to do something like that, but I feel that I can't. My parents would not like it, and think that I should be going to Uni, and my dad isnt in the best of health, and I feel I should be near him. I'm also in a long term relationship, and couldn't face leaving him.

I just really really want to get away, move abroad, live my life! I know I've failed my A-levels no doubt, and I'm just at that point where I'm directionless.

I don't know what the point of this thread is but yeah :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You don't like Yorkshire? :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    You don't like Yorkshire? :huff:
    nooo... hhha sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    nooo... hhha sorry

But I know what you mean tho, I forgive you for hating Yorkshire btw

You know the way you have to think about it is that even if you did move abroad, you'd be happy for a while before you were back in the same situation...all countries have their fair share of problems, no country is perfect by any means. Except maybe for Switzerland That's where I would love to live....

ReputationRep:
    But I know what you mean tho, I forgive you for hating Yorkshire btw

You know the way you have to think about it is that even if you did move abroad, you'd be happy for a while before you were back in the same situation...all countries have their fair share of problems, no country is perfect by any means. Except maybe for Switzerland That's where I would love to live....
    I know... someone else in that british condition thread put what I think into a few words... how can you stay in britain when you know theres so much more out there.

I want to move to America soooooooooo so so so bad. I've got a friend in switzerland actually

ReputationRep:
    I know... someone else in that british condition thread put what I think into a few words... how can you stay in britain when you know theres so much more out there.

I want to move to America soooooooooo so so so bad. I've got a friend in switzerland actually
    Yeah but it's only when you live in a less privileged country (like I've done for 7 years of my life) that you realise how much your actually getting here, you know free NHS etc that you might be taking for granted.
    I know I'd love to move to somewhere like Japan to get superfast amazing broadband (awful reason I know!) but some of the things that you envisage about that country are either exaggerated or maybe not even true...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but it's only when you live in a less privileged country (like I've done for 7 years of my life) that you realise how much your actually getting here, you know free NHS etc that you might be taking for granted.
    I know I'd love to move to somewhere like Japan to get superfast amazing broadband (awful reason I know!) but some of the things that you envisage about that country are either exaggerated or maybe not even true...

I know where you are coming from, but I hate this country sooo much! We get free NHS, but its not always effective, Ive seen it make the worst mistakes with so many family members paying the ultimate price. I hate sooo many things I would just end up ranting forever lol. I just want to move to America I reaaaaallllyyyyyyyyyy do. If someone just gave me a green card I would be so happy!lol. I'm not even bothered about university or how big my house is and what posessions i've got, Im more bothered about constant sunshine, a great place for my kids to grow up, and a culture I like

ReputationRep:
    I know where you are coming from, but I hate this country sooo much! We get free NHS, but its not always effective, Ive seen it make the worst mistakes with so many family members paying the ultimate price. I hate sooo many things I would just end up ranting forever lol. I just want to move to America I reaaaaallllyyyyyyyyyy do. If someone just gave me a green card I would be so happy!lol. I'm not even bothered about university or how big my house is and what posessions i've got, Im more bothered about constant sunshine, a great place for my kids to grow up, and a culture I like
    I think you might be slightly blinded by the love you have for the US, have you ever been to the US for a longer period of time to get a feel of what living there is like? And I mean even if you have it would kinda feel like a honeymoon period wouldn't it?
    There are things I hate here but I'm sure I'd find new thing to hate in America...
    Constant sunshine...yeah that would be nice but what about hurricanes or earthquakes?
    And the culture there does vary depending on where you go really doesn't it...some cultures are extreme in America and I think maybe in the UK we are more tolerant than people over there..

I'm not trying to shatter your dreams or anything...just saying that it sounds great the way you describe it but it might not work out...

ReputationRep:
    I do see what you're saying but... I'm not gunna budge! haha

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I understand how u feel, have u thought about taking a gap year out and travelling? (if you have the money ofc). There are sites like realgap.com that give you chances to go aboard and volunteer, or do paid work etc. That way you can get a feel of whether its something you really want to do without upsetting your parents, boyfriend etc

Thats the only thing I can suggest really, but I defo think you should have a taste of a place before you upsticks and leave, it really is harder then u think and it might not be what you want, as they say the grass is always greener on the other side

I hope this helps :-)

ReputationRep:
    I do see what you're saying but... I'm not gunna budge! haha
    lol sorry it took me so long to reply, there was a moth on my laptop screen, and it wouldn't die...I musta bashed it about 50 times but its stupid antenna things kept moving....

Anyways...I wouldn't expect you to budge
    I have a friend who is in the same situation as you, she loves France, and at the moment she is going around France visiting all kinds of places...
    If you feel so strongly about going to America then make it your goal in life or something! Yeah!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think u should move to Hong Kong! haha! A lot of locals know English there, dnt worry!

ReputationRep:
    Im more bothered about constant sunshine, a great place for my kids to grow up, and a culture I like
    -most people stay in the air-conditioning indoors away from the constant sunshine. it's very hot.
    -how do you know it's a great place? what is great about it?
    -as above what about that culture do you like? especially what's different to Britain?

I think you have a very romanticised view of America. some parts are great, but some are nearly third-world. have you been, for more than just a week in New York or Florida? remember America is also the place where Napoleon Dynamite was filmed, that town looks like a terrible place to live. try spending some time living there in your gap year working a job, see if you actually enjoy it any more. if so move!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impsmith)
    -most people stay in the air-conditioning indoors away from the constant sunshine. it's very hot.
    -how do you know it's a great place? what is great about it?
    -as above what about that culture do you like? especially what's different to Britain?

I think you have a very romanticised view of America. some parts are great, but some are nearly third-world. have you been, for more than just a week in New York or Florida? remember America is also the place where Napoleon Dynamite was filmed, that town looks like a terrible place to live. try spending some time living there in your gap year working a job, see if you actually enjoy it any more. if so move!
    :clap2:
    How the hell did you manage to use Napoleon Dynamite in an argument! It's genius I tell you!

ReputationRep:
    in a month i'll be starting a placement year in new york. should make a good change to nottingham.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.