The Student Room Group

My family just have no interest in my education

Hey

I have started to realise that some of my family have no belief in me, They all think that I will never get to Uni or do anything good with my life.

Even when I was at school my mum never spoke about plans for the future she didn't care If I got an education or not.

I feel like my mum side of the family are failing me and Im starting to really dislike them.

Has anyone else had this.

Scroll to see replies

It's the same with me. My mum never really had an education , maybe that's why. I get no motivation from my family , so I create it by myself , and at this moment in time I have none.
As sad as it may sound, if you're not already at uni and doing something with your life, their interest in education seems to fizzle out when you hit 20. Or it has done with everyone I know.
Reply 3
Yeah my sister is in a similar situation...but she has great ambitions so I hope she does well! :yes:
Better than them caring "too much"
Reply 5
My dad is kind of like that. He's not really arsed.
And sometimes when I do well, it seems that my sister makes up excuses. (I'm not saying she definitely does, it just seems that way) :shifty: Like, 'Ohh it's because gcse's are easier now and that's why you did so well in it' :sad:
Lol.
My oldest 2 brothers, and my mum take main interest :smile:
Reply 6
katierattray
Hey

I have started to realise that some of my family have no belief in me, They all think that I will never get to Uni or do anything good with my life.

Even when I was at school my mum never spoke about plans for the future she didn't care If I got an education or not.

I feel like my mum side of the family are failing me and Im starting to really dislike them.

That's a little extreme, don't you think? I went to four years of university and my mom can still never remember my major. But it certainly never occurred to me to resent her for it. It's my life, the more independence I achieve the better, you know?
Reply 7
katierattray
Hey

then prove them wrong :smile:
I'm pretty sure if I asked my mum what course I'm studying next year or what A level subjects I took she would not be able to give me the right answers. As long as I go to Uni and get a job after she's fine. OP it isn't that big of a deal.
Reply 9
Maximum Velocity
It's the same with me. My mum never really had an education , maybe that's why. I get no motivation from my family , so I create it by myself , and at this moment in time I have none.

my mums the opposite cause she had no education shes like i dont care what any of u do aslong as you get your degree and she goes mad when i talk about gap years or finding a full time job now haha
DC Doberman
That's a little extreme, don't you think? I went to four years of university and my mom can still never remember my major. But it certainly never occurred to me to resent her for it. It's my life, the more independence I achieve the better, you know?

Not really my granny laughed in my face the other day when I mentioned uni and my mum keeps telling just to get a full-time job and forget my education. they have never once encourged me to get an education even when I was at school or spoke about my future. My mums side are not very nice people most of the time.
Does it really matter what they think ? You have to believe in yourself even when everyone around you does not.Prove them all wrong.
x-pri-x
my mums the opposite cause she had no education shes like i dont care what any of u do aslong as you get your degree and she goes mad when i talk about gap years or finding a full time job now haha

Yeah my mum didn't even do the GCSE equivelent back in 1976/7. She she has no grades at all. I want to go uni though , I'm still doing GCSEs. Everytime I come home with a B in science , my mums like is that it , I'm like wtf do you want from me !
x-pri-x

Same! When I mentioned about how maybe it was better for me to just get a job the look of disgust on her face was scary enough to make me not speak of it again! I do really want to go Uni though but still.
katierattray
Not really my granny laughed in my face the other day when I mentioned uni and my mum keeps telling just to get a full-time job and forget my education. they have never once encourged me to get an education even when I was at school or spoke about my future. My mums side are not very nice people most of the time.

Just forget them and have enough confidence in yourself to pursue your dreams.
katierattray

But why do you need their encouragement? Sounds like you've made a (very good) decision to go to university without their support. That's sad that they don't recognize the value of a university degree (and that they're not very nice), but you should also feel somewhat liberated that you don't have to deal with onerous expectations, either. So stick it to them, and go get educated!
Reply 16
Sakura-Chan
As sad as it may sound, if you're not already at uni and doing something with your life, their interest in education seems to fizzle out when you hit 20. Or it has done with everyone I know.

Spot on, when your younger they want the best for you and will take a keen interest in your education because lets be honest they know better (well most parents anyway :ninja: lol)

But once your 21+ they sort of lose interest, mainly because your an adult and can make your own decisions and if your not at university by that age, they just hope for the best that you do well in life. I mean what more can they do right...?
my mum sent me to a appalling inner city comprehensive where i had to endure a lot of bullying, racism and poor education! :frown: Therefore my grades were awful!
Reply 18
katierattray
Hey

To be totally honest with you, like me, I bet you'll find you'll do much better if your parents arn't pressuring you to do well at university nor are they doing everythign for you setting you up perfectly for how the real world is.

Like me, I bet you're very independant already (although you're 21) I look at people who just left college like me and their parents are doing their UCAS forms for them and telling them to do Law or else. One of my friends is getting £2k + his student loan to live which means he has got a private flat...

It'll be much better for you this way. Also, your gran may laugh in your face (I doubt she did it in a mean way, more a it sounds silly way) but they dont understand university etc because they're old / have never experienced it.

As you say your mum doesn't have an education and she probably thinks she's done fine without it so why cant you. I wouldn't let it bother you though, you'll do well and then you can say to your mum you had the best time of your life at uni and look where it has got you...

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 19
At the end of the day your family can only encourage you to a point. No encouragement is not nice but in reality you are going to university cause you want to, if it is for any other reason then re-consider. Their lack of motivation should push you to show them that a university education can lead to greater oppurtunities in life. (hopefully)

Latest

Trending

Trending