Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I persuade my mum to let me keep chinchillas? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! (sorry, this is gonna be relatively long)

In need of some advice (obviously!) on how I can persuade my mum to let me keep chinchillas (Id like to keep 2).
    It would be easy if my younger sister hadnt run a "campaign" to let her have a pet hamster (which was succesfull) and then neglect the animal after about 2 weeks of care and my mum and I having to do the dirty work.
    I had four pet gerbils when i was 7/8 and I took good care of them, cleaning out, feeding, excercising and whatnot. I kept a journal for a cubs badge so I have some proof also.
    Another thing is that we have a pet cat, but hes quite small and is spooked very easily. He also sees the hamster every day when in the kitchen and he hasnt hurt her ever, and as a chinchilla is bigger, I think hed be more wary of a chinchilla than wanting to hunt it.
    But the most annoying thing is that my mum can be, and often is, very stubborn. When I ask her if Im allowed to get a pet, she just says "No, I dont want any more pets" but when I ask why, her line is "because i said so" or "because im the adult". As its illegal to buy a pet if youre under 16, this is especially frustrating for me as she's need to buy it for me! I have enough money to chip in so thats nota valid concern either.

The reason I want these pets is because deep down I miss my gerbils, because pretty muc every day we would get them out and play. The hamster cant be handled unless you wear gardening gloves (she bites!) and the cat is easily spooked. I really like rodents, I really enjoy the company of animals and I have alot of time to spare usually, so I just thought some chinchillas would be nice additions to the family! Ihave done my homework though, im not just saying "theyre nice, I want one!", I think my lifestyle can accomodate them.

Ok, if youve got ths far then tankyou very much for being patient, and any replies would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks again,
    Ian
    =)

ReputationRep:
    Breed an army of them and let them loose in the house....?

ReputationRep:
    Research. Research. Research.

Find out all there is to know about chinchillas then present your findings to your mother. [Seriously research for months to show you're serious]

Maybe tell her you really like rodents and want to have one you can handle.

What if though, the chinchillas bite as well? Will you still be as willing then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    What if though, the chinchillas bite as well? Will you still be as willing then?
    My hamster only started to bite people after my sister lost interest in her. If youre putting food in for the hamster then she will nip your finger.
    I dont mind being bitten on occasion, ive been bitten once or twice by my cat (normally when playing though) but its just that he hamster bites constantly, y'know?

PS. thanks for replies everyone! =)

ReputationRep:
    my old hamster had a vendetta against me with biting.
    It rolled in its hamster ball across the room and started clawing the ball when it got near me D:
    If your mum wants a testimonial, I can give her one, I KNOW how obsessed you are for chichillas. Remember the birthday hats?
    I'm happy, I've had five cats around me all week!! ^_^
    But your listening to the right people! How about kidnap your mother and make her watch the longest documentry on the life of chinchillas, then perhaps a university level slideshow to accompany it? How could she refuse such an offer?

ReputationRep:
    brainwash her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    brainwash her
    Even better, let the army of chinchillas do it for you *Evil Laugh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantomsimmer)
    How about kidnap your mother and make her watch the longest documentry on the life of chinchillas, then perhaps a university level slideshow to accompany it?
    Go forth, vampiric one, and find me said documentary!
    Nope just kidding! But thankyou for the advice =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    Even better, let the army of chinchillas do it for you *Evil Laugh*
    Haha! =D
    Im against animl testing, but animal militant pychiatric training may be a branch worth expanding into!
    Cheers m8 x]

ReputationRep:
    Show her this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IQ Test)
    Go forth, vampiric one, and find me said documentary!
    Nope just kidding! But thankyou for the advice =D
    I'm not vampiric!!!! lol :s:
    And I shall find you the documentary in all due time!
    No problem at all, my pleasure *reel*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IQ Test)
    How can I persuade my mum to let me keep chinchillas?
    A gun would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Chinchillas bite too. And it hurts more than a hamster bite. They're evil things, don't let them into your house.
    My chinchillas never bit me.

Then again, they're all dead now.

ReputationRep:
    It's her house, thus her rules.
    How will you cope when you move out and you're not allowed pets where you're staying?
    If you really want a pet, why not walk elderly people's dogs?

ReputationRep:
    do research
    an since you took over caring for a hampster your sister neglected, does this not prove you will look after pets u dont want so will show even more interest in ones you do...

ReputationRep:
    Chinchillas live for 10+ years, so if you're in year 9 at the mo chances are you're parents are going to have to look after it in 6 years when you go to uni. You better hope your mum doesn't figure that out.

ReputationRep:
    You want a chinchilla? I have a zoo at home, you're welcome to switch places with me. Srsly.

ReputationRep:
    get a tortoise (spelling?) that may out live u ... lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Chinchillas live for 10+ years, so if you're in year 9 at the mo chances are you're parents are going to have to look after it in 6 years when you go to uni. You better hope your mum doesn't figure that out.
    :ditto:
    your life might be able to accommodate it now, but you need to think about the future.
    if you miss your gerbils then why not get more? You've probably got all the stuff around somewhere, they take very little looking after, won't live too long and you have experience, she's much more likely to go for that than chinchillas!

ReputationRep:
    Exhibit the following image:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.