Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have come to a conclusion.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I have been looking at some pictures of me when I was overweight considerablely... and since I have managed to change from size 18 to size 8.

I just realised how important your figure, how you look is... my life has changed. People treat you differently, I get more male attention and Im more confident.

To be honest I dont think anybody would look at me twice when I was fat...

It also occurred to me that the same people I know now, I might not have got to know, if I was "fat"- this saddened me I guess..

I havent changed much on personality apart from being more confident I wonder if anyone would have liked me now if I was a size 18. To be honest I dont think these people would.

I feel like im not being true to myself- kinda like the Nutty Professor..

Im not looking for advice, just your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Recently, I have been looking at some pictures of me when I was overweight considerablely... and since I have managed to change from size 18 to size 8.

I just realised how important your figure, how you look is... my life has changed. People treat you differently, I get more male attention and Im more confident.

It also occurred to me that the same people I know now, I might not have got to know, if I was "fat"- this saddened me I guess..

I havent changed much on personality apart from being more confident I wonder if anyone would have liked me now if I was a size 18. To be honest I dont think these people would.

:console: Awwww :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    Its true- I used to get teased about exercise. Its like I hope someone saw something in fat me

ReputationRep:
    I have the same experience... Sometimes I gain a little weight (it fluctuates), and when I do, I feel that people I don't know aren't as nice to me as when I'm skinny... More people approach me, and I can be more open and honest when I'm all skinny.. And my personality is the same!

That's really bad, this society we live in. I don't worry about it anyway. If a person isn't as nice if I'm 1 size bigger, then that person isn't worth my time.

ReputationRep:
    Fat-you is as arbitrary as slim-you. If you're happier being thinner and more attractive, then you have no reason to feel nostalgic about when you were fat and less attractive.
    Otherwise it could extend indefinately - making yourself fatter and uglier and less pleasant, so that you only get people who like "the real you" and not just some pleasant, confident slim you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see your logic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    I have the same experience... Sometimes I gain a little weight (it fluctuates), and when I do, I feel that people I don't know aren't as nice to me as when I'm skinny... More people approach me, and I can be more open and honest when I'm all skinny.. And my personality is the same!

That's really bad, this society we live in. I don't worry about it anyway. If a person isn't as nice if I'm 1 size bigger, then that person isn't worth my time.
    I dunno, if this is major generlisation? Maybe it is, but dont people hang around people the same kinda "figure" as wel. Something I noticed at uni...

Being slim was important to me, I saw it as the answer to everything.

I think its really bad with girls!

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think that the "same figure" people hang out together... At least not where I'm from.

ReputationRep:
    wow
    kinda off topic but howww did you go from 18 - 8? was it just lots of hours at the gymmm or?
    i need help =(

ReputationRep:
    it matters who you are now not who you were. if life is better then whats there to complain about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    wow
    kinda off topic but howww did you go from 18 - 8? was it just lots of hours at the gymmm or?
    i need help =(
    PM me for details and PM me your stats ( bmi etc)

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of it is down to confidence and how you feel about yourself. When you lost the weight, you probably felt a lot better about yourself etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah kind of sucks but it's true. We as humans tend to isolate people we do not normally associate with despite personality. What makes it harder for you is you're a girl, a fat girl with a great personality is more likely to be ignored than a male in the same position. But look on the bright side, you're thin and people are willing to befriend you. That's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    what the OP and a few other people arnt realising is confidence is part of personality.

You say these people you know now wouldnt have talked to you when you were fat or is it that you wouldnt have started talking to them.

As a guy i have NEVER noticed more attention after loosing weight, no matter what i do to make myself more attractive people still just see a science nerd, and unless they're science nerds themselves, just avoid me

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with what you've done. You're still the same person, but with more confidence. That's an improvement so I don't see that there's any problem with what happened in terms of going from an 18 to 8. Shame acceptance doesn't occur in society regardless of a dress size number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_ryan)
    what the OP and a few other people arnt realising is confidence is part of personality.

You say these people you know now wouldnt have talked to you when you were fat or is it that you wouldnt have started talking to them.

As a guy i have NEVER noticed more attention after loosing weight, no matter what i do to make myself more attractive people still just see a science nerd, and unless they're science nerds themselves, just avoid me
    But this maybe be seen as a weird , but sometimes when I get compliments I feel really defensive and I am quick to accuse the person for taking the p***

ReputationRep:

How did u lose all that weight and how long did it take? Im a size 14 and want to get down to a size 10 or size 8

ReputationRep:
    @ OP

i'm very happy for you. congratulations on not being fat anymore, i hope many others follow your lead.

*hug*

ReputationRep:
    I have managed to change from size 18 to size 8.
    Bloody hell! I don't have much to say in this thread other than well done!

ReputationRep:
    I've had quite a satisfying experience with weight. I used to weigh about 10 stone, but then after a bout of tonsillitis and a time where I nearly choked and I slowed down my eating I'm now 9 stone. I had friends (or more should I say...people I hung out with) who would make veiled remarks about my weight, who are now bigger than I am. This is never something I've bragged about outloud or to anyone I know because I'm not that kind of person, but it does give me a thrill of pleasure that the people who once wrote "fat" on the front of one of my school folders are now the ones that envy my figure.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.