Turn on thread page Beta

Smoking vs Drinking watch

ReputationRep:
    Replacing drinking by smoking is not a great idea as the two are bad for your health. Don't try to find excuses to do so. Be a man and sort your problems out instead of hiding behind your addictions.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise?

ReputationRep:
    Masturbation?

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is probably better than excessive drinking, as it won't affect you until late in life (probbalby).
    Plus you can die from one drinking session if you have too much, not so from smoking.

ReputationRep:
    i drink and dont smoke

ReputationRep:
    I would say smoking will clear your head more, when I smoke I go outside, and I appreciate wherever I am. It gives you time to think. Alcohol just clouds your thoughts/makes you act stupid. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but if you deal with things through smoking, then you're more likely to be rational about the things that make you stressed because you're in the right mind.

Obviously, in an ideal world you wouldn't need either to help destress you. Hope you're okay

I've been in this place, quite recently actually...

It's tough. It sometime just feels like there is no getting away, and the solution is to be constantly drunk/constantly high/constantly smoking whatever...

BUT - you can overcome it... seriously. Take one day out where you promise not to drink, not to smoke, and just deal with the causes of the stress...

Go for a jog if you're not frequently excersizing, get a punchbag and go mental. If its money worries, look for a part time job, or organise a repayment schedule with the bank for an overdraft, whatever! - with the right attitude, nothing is impossible. If family are always at you, go to a friends for a bit, or go for a walk in the park, sit in a hot bath for an hour.

I know this must sound like right random hippy new world bull, but its not. Try it and then you can eliminate it as a potential solution.

Cigs (for me anyway) made me feel ****, as I was constantly 'destressing', and then it lead to weed, and that did cause me some psychological issues which I'm dealing with now, and alcohol is easy to get drunk on, but very difficult to get sober if you need to deal with stuff...

What exactly is stressing you out so bad?

ReputationRep:
    From what the OP has described, it looks to me like he/she has an addictive personality. The best thing to do in this situation is to seek counseling and professional advice in order to help overcome some of the issues you have.

ReputationRep:
    Neither but if needs are must, smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    I so want to pick up smoking right now; although it'll make things ten times worse..but the odd one isn't so bad is it:puppyeyes:
    Yes :hmmm:

OP: quit both, go see a GP and get help for your situation. this isn't something where you can say "oh but can't I have ONE of them!"

ReputationRep:
    i prefer drinking...but i only drink in moderation

ReputationRep:
    Chew gum?
    Smoking and drinking only make you feel better at the time, while you're smoking or drinking. But at the end of it you just end up feeling worse. Try less destructive habits like going for a walk/swim...or even talk to people about how you're feeling - you'd be suprised how much better you feel after a good moan with someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    I so want to pick up smoking right now; although it'll make things ten times worse..but the odd one isn't so bad is it:puppyeyes:
    I hope you're being sarcastic. Seriously wouldn't suggest taking up the habit, it's the pits.

I've quit smoking for nearly a year now and never looked back. Once you've gone a couple of weeks it gets better, no point starting the process again. Once you get over the physical addiction you realise how hideous smoking really is. The worst is nights when you drink and chain-smoke, especially taylor made ciggies...werghh.

As other have posted, you cant beat excercise for stress relieving, it reduces adrenaline and releases endorphins (feel good chemicals).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    I hope you're being sarcastic. Seriously wouldn't suggest taking up the habit, it's the pits.

I've quit smoking for nearly a year now and never looked back. Once you've gone a couple of weeks it gets better, no point starting the process again. Once you get over the physical addiction you realise how hideous smoking really is. The worst is nights when you drink and chain-smoke, especially taylor made ciggies...werghh.

As other have posted, you cant beat excercise for stress relieving, it reduces adrenaline and releases endorphins (feel good chemicals).
    I'm being honest. My mum's packet; I nearly took one out last night..touched it and everything.. but decided against it.
    well done btw

ReputationRep:
    These 2 things go hand in hand for some people .Some of my friends are social smokers i.e. they only smoke when they are drinkin

ReputationRep:
    Using any type of drug to handle a problem is a bad decision, it doesn't solve it, just helps to subdue it for a short while, and can end up making you rely on the substance for normal day to day life.
    Exercising helps stress alot, releases endorhpines making you feel better, even just a 10 minute jog a few times aweek could help.

If its stress, try and find out what the source is, then if you cant sort it out yourself, look for freinds to help, or professional help, most problems youll ever have can be easily sorted on your own, if not tackle it with your friends, that's what there here for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Try meditation.
    Yup try that! Much nicer to your body!:p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.