Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been in my current relationship for 3 months now and my bf has mentioned having sex and I have declined. What is the best way to tell him that I am saving myself for marriage?

ReputationRep:
    email him a link to this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foreverly81569)
    I have been in my current relationship for 3 months now and my bf has mentioned having sex and I have declined. What is the best way to tell him that I am saving myself for marriage?
    just link him to a definition of frigid and/or archaic on dictionary.com

ReputationRep:
    What was his reaction when you declined?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you two?

ReputationRep:
    he would keep his distance and watch t.v

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, most guys are just in it for the poon-tang (certainly at this age). You should tell him and expect a dismissive reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_P)
    How old are you two?
    I'm 18 and he is 20

ReputationRep:
    just tell him u dont wanna do it and if he wants it so bad go find another girl lol

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him. If he's not willing to accept that then move on.

Well if he serious about you he should respect your feeling towards this! If he is any kind of gentleman he will!

ReputationRep:
    You know what, im having the same sort of dillema, thing is, its so common now that you have sex with your bf/gf that when they think marriage everyones like:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foreverly81569)
    he would keep his distance and watch t.v
    I see... well uhm, did you not think that this would be important to mention to him before you started a relationship (or shortly thereafter, not 3 months into it)? Most guys are not exactly supportive of no sex before marriage, especially at his age. Has he had sex before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rinascimento)
    I see... well uhm, did you not think that this would be important to mention to him before you started a relationship (or shortly thereafter, not 3 months into it)? Most guys are not exactly supportive of no sex before marriage, especially at his age. Has he had sex before?
    no were virgins

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I were too, and although he was willing to wait for me for a bit, he wanted to have sex, just like most guys his age...

You should probably tell him how you feel, but you can't expect him to agree with it. If he really cares about you, he might...

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever thought of just stimulating each other? Like sex, but not going the whole way.

ReputationRep:
    You gotta tell him now, just straight out.

If he dumps you then :dontknow: obviously he wasn't the right guy for you. But leading him on for any longer will just make things worse :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well if he serious about you he should respect your feeling towards this! If he is any kind of gentleman he will!
    Well, he could respect her feelings towards it but it doesn't entitle him to stay with her just because he's serious about her. Alot of people expect sex as the norm today and even if they're not in the relationship JUST for it, the lack of it could still be a very big issue as I've found from experience ¬_¬

OP you should just straight up tell him, sit him down like "we need to talk about this" and lay out the fact that you want to wait for marriage, you don't necessarily have to give a reason but if you do make it a reasonable reason rather than "just cos" and tell him its his call for what he wants to do about it. You can't force him to stay with you, but you owe it to him to be honest about this otherwise he might just be hanging on for something he's never going to get. I doubt he's in the relationship just for sex if its been 3 months already, if he was he'd have been suggesting it within a week.

ReputationRep:
    Marry him.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you wanted to know that your gy was into you and not just in it for the sex you'd want to find out, right? So tell him what you told us - if he respects your decision he'll wait. If he doesn't, then you should both be with other people who share you views.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.