Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do u assume every Oriental (East Asian) is Chinese? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do u assume every Oriental (East Asian) is Chinese?
    Always
    13.70%
    Often
    13.70%
    Sometimes
    17.81%
    Rarely
    13.70%
    Never
    41.10%

ReputationRep:
    Share your views!!! Btw, Mandarin is not the only Chinese language!!!

ReputationRep:
    I sure can't tell the different between a japanese or chinese man even when they speak japanese or chinese, its like its all the same.

ReputationRep:
    No, but my best friend is Korean, and I have loads of Korean language student friends and I'm planning to go to Korea next year, so tbh I'm used to their being loads of different types of East Asians.

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually. People do this to me and I find it very annoying.

ReputationRep:
    All ya'll look alike.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I understand i am probably wrong much of the time, its just a reflex.

Statistically, they are most likely to be chinese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RangerX)
    I sure can't tell the different between a japanese or chinese man even when they speak japanese or chinese, its like its all the same.
    r u serious!?!?! Japanese and Mandarin Chinese sounds sooo different!

ReputationRep:
    No I can generally tell the difference. This difference is especially evident when they open their mouths.

(Original post by Hamcock)
    Shes probably referring to Cantonese which, to most people, probably does sound like Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it does but I don't pay attention to what I don't know. I did learn a bit of japanese back in secondary school and I enjoyed but now don't even remember a thing

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell which is Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. I got it right :grin:

ReputationRep:
    I get this soo much, except I'm Bengali and people always mistake me for Pakistani or Indian. Although can't say I blame them, some Bengali's mistake me for Pakistani.
    I've actually had an old woman at Asda standing behind me in the line for the checkout and she started talking to me about how beautiful India is, I played along because she was soo sweet :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't but I have a slight advantage over most people :P I lived in asia for 9 years haha.

But Mandarin and Japanese don't sound similar at all....

ReputationRep:
    Share your views!!!
    No. The men in your signature are, though.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Hong Kongers to be specific!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RangerX)
    I'm sure it does but I don't pay attention to what I don't know. I did learn a bit of japanese back in secondary school and I enjoyed but now don't even remember a thing
    Japanese and Chinese are as audibly different as German and French; I don't understand a word of either, but can still discern them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Japanese and Chinese are as audibly different as German and French; I don't understand a word of either, but can still discern them.
    I could probably tell the different if I hear japanese and compare it with chinese language but ignorance is bliss

ReputationRep:
    ^ depends which Chinese language ur on about!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, not really.

ReputationRep:
    No, can also sometimes spot the difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    But to be fair, in the UK you can hear the sounds associated with both languages as you hear them growing up. If I lived in East Asia then I may well be able to distinguish between Vietnamese and Japanese without understanding it but I may be unable to tell between French and German as I'd never really heard either spoke much before.

Oh and in answer to the original question no I don't. However, this may be do to the fact that I have several Asian friends, few of whom are Chinese.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.