Turn on thread page Beta

Do u assume every Oriental (East Asian) is Chinese? watch

• View Poll Results: Do u assume every Oriental (East Asian) is Chinese?
    Always
    13.70%
    Often
    13.70%
    Sometimes
    17.81%
    Rarely
    13.70%
    Never
    41.10%

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way.

In Asia, all Europeans look alike.

Personally, I'd say the same for Africans, South Asians and the like too, but I'm sure they can all tell the difference quite easily.

It's easier to tell apart what you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Put it this way.

In Asia, all Europeans look alike.

Personally, I'd say the same for Africans, South Asians and the like too, but I'm sure they can all tell the difference quite easily.

It's easier to tell apart what you know.
    Yeah but most of the time i couldn't tell a Frenchman from a German on looks alone (Unless there was a beret and stripy jumper involved).

And i know that not all asians can always tell where another asian is from based on looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    ...If I lived in East Asia then I may well be able to distinguish between Vietnamese and Japanese without understanding it...
    even an idiot can tell that Vietnamese and Japanese sounds EXTREMELY different!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamcock)
    even an idiot can tell that Vietnamese and Japanese sounds EXTREMELY different!!!

My point is that if no one had told you that they were different langauges and which was which, how would you know?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, have the Chinese got more than one country over there now?

ReputationRep:
    What about the internetz?

ReputationRep:
    ^ no coz the Chinese dnt rob other people's countries unlike some people! *cough* whiteys!

ReputationRep:
    My point is that if no one had told you that they were different langauges and which was which, how would you know?
    um...internet! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm ethnic Chinese, but I can only tell if an oriental is NOT chinese (ie Korean or Japanese) based on appearance alone. Japanese and Korean all look the same to me. :s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but most of the time i couldn't tell a Frenchman from a German on looks alone (Unless there was a beret and stripy jumper involved).

And i know that not all asians can always tell where another asian is from based on looks.
    I find it hard to tell the difference between a German and a Frenchy based on anything but stereotypes and hair colour.

That's all it boils down to half of the time, brunettes make French, blondes make Germans, if you're in Britain and white, you're British by default.

The same applies to what people say when they tell me they can't tell the difference between East Asians, because most everyone has naturally black hair.

I know a lot of my white friends would be hard pressed to tell the difference between nationals of Britain, Germany and France. Some are easier, such as Scandinavians and Spanish though.

I will admit, that I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between a ChinoJapanoKorean. I will usually hit the nail on the head, though some people are a bit more ambiguous than others. More so between Chinese and Japanese since my experience with Koreans in life has been limited, so sometimes I'll miss the mark on those.

That's out of the big three anyway, I can't be bothered to talk about Filipinos, Vietnamese, Indos, Laotians etc.

^ no coz the Chinese dnt rob other people's countries unlike some people! *cough* whiteys!
    Let's be honest now, some mainland Chinese nowadays would sell their own mother's for profit if they could, nevermind robbing/conning someone they don't know out of pocket. This applies to all races.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do. I don't even call them "orientals" what's wrong with just "asians"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    Yes I do. I don't even call them "orientals" what's wrong with just "asians"?
    In British English 'Asians' tends to refer to people from subcontinental India. Chinese aren't 'Asian' in the British sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanoi)
    In British English 'Asians' tends to refer to people from subcontinental India. Chinese aren't 'Asian' in the British sense.
    China is in Asia, therefore I say asians myself.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I agree that in America if someone says "Asian" it's automatically assumed to be an East Asian person such as somebody from China, Japan, Korea etc. but in the UK I think people automatically think of an Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani.. etc.

Anyway I don't assume all East Asian people are Chinese, but I can understand when people can't tell the difference because I don't expect a Japanese person to be able to tell the difference between a French person and a Dutch person without asking, and I don't expect your average Westerner can differentiate between say, a Syrian and an Iraqi by looks alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    China is in Asia, therefore I say asians myself.
    Most definitions of Asia include the Middles East and Russia; so lets call them Asian too.

ReputationRep:

*Cough* in Vietnam for 1000 years *Cough* Tibet *Cough*

ReputationRep:
    um...internet! :p:
    So you go on the internet and search for what languages are what and listen to samples of them so you can recognise them later in life?

Unless i recogniced something that was being said then i wouldn't be able to tell Mandarin and Japanese apart anymore than i would be able to tell apart Finnish and Swedish or Warlpiri and Tiwi. Dispite the fact that some one used to these languages would hear huge differences

ReputationRep:
    ^ i've watched Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Mainland Chinese and Hong Kong dramas and watched HK dramas dubbed in Vietnamese.

ReputationRep:
    *Cough* in Vietnam for 1000 years *Cough* Tibet *Cough*
    if u add all the land mass together, i wonder who robbed waaay more eh?

ReputationRep:
    no i never really think about it ..i can tell the difference between chinese and japenese cos my friend father is japenese but she's irish .

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.