Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do u assume every Oriental (East Asian) is Chinese? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do u assume every Oriental (East Asian) is Chinese?
    Always
    13.70%
    Often
    13.70%
    Sometimes
    17.81%
    Rarely
    13.70%
    Never
    41.10%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamcock)
    if u add all the land mass together, i wonder who robbed waaay more eh?
    I never said the Britain didn't go round the world taking land. But you said that China didn't take any. That's my point

Konnichi waaaaaa ^_______________^

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Put it this way.

In Asia, all Europeans look alike.

Personally, I'd say the same for Africans, South Asians and the like too, but I'm sure they can all tell the difference quite easily.

It's easier to tell apart what you know.

not really................ but maybe that's because i live in europe and only there in the summers

yeah, africans i have no clue over....

ReputationRep:
    Every native JapanoChineseKorean I've ever met just thinks all europeans look the same and would say that Asian's are more distinct than Europeans.

Like I said, It's down to what you know and what you're used to at the end of the day.

If you've been to a certain region for a certain amount of time, you appreciate that there is a difference. Put a Venezualan, Colombian and Argentinian next to each other, I would not know the difference. however, someone over there would find it easier to tell the difference.

ReputationRep:
    I think I could tell Japanese and Chinese people apart, and maybe Koreans too. I can definitely tell the scripts apart, and again I can tell spoken Mandarin, Cantonese and Japanese apart (I've studied all 3, briefly!). I've never heard Korean being spoken, so I dunno about that...!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who can't tell Koreans apart really need brain surgery because they look quite dissimilar from Japanese and Chinese. I always though Korean males a look a bit more turned out, and that's probably the closet gay coming out in me.

There's loads of crossovers though. One of my japanese friends looks really Korean to the point of light ridicule, whereas some Chinese girls look very Japanese. Normally I can tell the difference though, Japanese people have very weird body language.

In the land of the rising sun though, I'm merely an American before I open my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guy_incognito)
    I always though Korean males a look a bit more turned out, and that's probably the closet gay coming out in me.
    Probably because them Korean males were made of plastic haha

Funniest thing, out of all the Koreans I've ever met, the guys at least, have either been completely bro'd out, or are really effeminate, even by asian standards.

ReputationRep:
    The person who neg repped me for saying all ya'll look alike failed to realise that I'm oriental too.

ReputationRep:
    The dudes wearing shiny pvc jackets are always Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    The dudes wearing shiny pvc jackets are always Japanese.
    This is now about Hard Gay

You might want to skip into it by about a minute if you want to see Hard Gay in action.

ReputationRep:
    No, I just call them chinese.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Always. China is the only country in Eastern Asia. All the rest are fake chinese.

ReputationRep:
    not really, i can kind of tell the difference between the chinese, korean, and japanese, Vietnamese, phillipino etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    No I can generally tell the difference. This difference is especially evident when they open their mouths.

Shes probably referring to Cantonese which, to most people, probably does sound like Japanese.
    Is that because the poverty stricken chinese's remaining teeth are yellow/black where as japan being a developed nation have dentists???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00b_pwn3r)
    Is that because the poverty stricken chinese's remaining teeth are yellow/black where as japan being a developed nation have dentists???
    Nope, I'm pretty sure they have dentists in China too. If my friends stories are anything to go by, dentists in Japan can be horiffic too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Nope, I'm pretty sure they have dentists in China too. If my friends stories are anything to go by, dentists in Japan can be horiffic too
    If you can afford the insurance, I'm sure you'd be fine, but lot of mainland Chinese villagers and the like won't be able to afford/have access to proper utilities for dental care at home, nevermind professional care.

That said, mainland Japan isn't well known for it's grillcare either. People have better access to normal utilities and such and are more likely to be able to afford it, but like people here, they won't take advantage.

Either way, some people in both countries have great grills and dentists whereas others may not be so fortunate. But it's more likely in mainland China, due to greater peasant status of the people. Though people of east asia in general aren't really known for great oral hygeine and such.

ReputationRep:
    Chinese and Japanese dress completely differently, and the languages sound nothing like each other. Koreans have quite a specific look about them. I might be able to tell a Thai person also, but I can't be certain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadinus)
    Chinese and Japanese dress completely differently, and the languages sound nothing like each other. Koreans have quite a specific look about them. I might be able to tell a Thai person also, but I can't be certain.
    Thai's be really dark, that's the easiest way to tell a Thai from a ChinoJapanoKorean. And for the most part, their faces are extremely different, Thais are more in line with Laotians and Cambodians than those in the far east.

Most mainland Chinese have nigh on zero dress sense. Hong Kongers and Shanghaiese probs have a more similar aesthetic to a Japland...partly because a lot of Jap brands are sold in those cities, and also because those cities are economic hubs, have richer folk and those who are more fashion-forward.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.