Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for a job advertised on the JobCentre website which says to send a copy of your CV to a certain email address. Would this be enough for the email to send my cv with or should it be more detailed/better written?

Mr xxxx,

I am writing to apply for the (job) position in your restaurant as advertised on the JobCentre Plus website. With both (blah) and (blah) experience, I believe that I am well suited to the position. I have attached a copy of my CV giving further details of my work experience, along with my interests and qualifications.

I can be contacted on 12345 or 12345 aswell as through email at [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you,

name name.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that sounds fine but i think you should also add what skills you have which are suited to the job just to make it sound longer and theyl be more interested in it

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fine, I think the covering letter should only be short unless they've specifically asked for one with certain details in it.

ReputationRep:
    Looks good covering letters don't need to be anything detailed. If it's a part time job or one where the hours were not advertised you could also mention what hours you are available to do so no one's time is wasted if you pass interview then can't do hours.

ReputationRep:
    If you read the CV and covering letter advice on TSR (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/anno...hp?f=339&a=258) you'll see that some of what has been said in this thread is not the best way to go about it. The best advice in this thread so far was given by La fille danse, but she deleted it for some reason - the gist was that the OP's letter is obviously a letter that is used for any job that sounds remotely attainable. Covering letters should always be tailored to the job you're applying for, and complement the CV, drawing out your most relevant skills and experience.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the previous poster. A cover letter is essentially there to tell them why they should even bother reading your CV. You should use the opportunity to tell them (concisely) why you are suited to the role, picking out key skills/experience to use as evidence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.