Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Basically, I'm planning on using henna to make my hair red (henna works with your natural hair colour, so hopefully it'll look a bit more natural than pillarbox red) but sadly, my favourite colour is pink. Now, one of the cardinal rules about red hair seems to be that you can't wear pink, but I knew a really ginger girl at my old school who wore pink quite a bit and looked gorgeous in it. Can any redheads on here reccomend how to find a shade of pink that will look ok with red hair? I was thinking that a sort of dusty pink would look good?

Salmon pink.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my sister has red hair and doesn't wear much pink, but salmon pink really suits her. She also has a boob tube that's a coral type colour, which looks really nice.

I think it's best to avoid dark pinks, or intense colours like hot pink/fuchsia. Pale pinks can be sort of pulled off by very dark red hair, but it all depends on whether you're brave enough to pull off the clash.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be ok with a bright neon/fuschia or a dusky shade.

ReputationRep:
    Your hair is a lovely colour just now I have reddish hair but can't pull of wearing pinks/reds, I tend to stick to earthy and blue colours. You will just have to give it a tryand ask a good friend/family for the truth

ReputationRep:
    I wear very strong pinks and they seem to work on me, i think alot depends on yur skin tone and eye colour. Im pale and have blue eyes so it works

ReputationRep:
    Greens are the best colours for gingers :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Greens are the best colours for gingers :yes:
    i noticed this.. i used to count gingers in town wearing green..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    i noticed this.. i used to count gingers in town wearing green..
    Its always nice to wear what suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    seriously don't henna your hair! I have mid-brown hair with natural blond streaks and when I hennaed mine a while ago, all the blonde bits went bright orange! As your hair is dark blonde, it will do the same. Henna lasts for ages as well, I had to endure much mocking.

Anyway, your hair is a very pretty colour, why would you want to change it anyway?

ReputationRep:
    If you're going into Lush to get the henna, ask in there. I was in Lush yesterday and they're really good with advising you on the most random stuff. There's a girl in there with red and black hair, she might be able to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your skin tone as well, and the exact colour of your hair. I can wear a very light pink as well as some pinky-purples, but you'll need to wait until you know the exact colour that your hair will be.

Trigger said that greens are very good for gingers, but again it depends on your skin tone. As an incredibly pale redhead, I find that bright greens wash me out and I tend to stick to more muted colours...

If I were you, though, I'd stay away from wearing pink until you've worked out exactly what suits you with the new colour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.