Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know wanting the cheapest and fastest route to Central London may be oxymoronic but as I'm starting my masters in Southampton Uni this year, I'd like to know what my options are for getting home are?

I'll have a car (and most likely a motorbike) but public transport would be most ideal considering I'd aim to hit Central London and go out. For those at Southampton and whose home is in London, how do you get home and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    South West Trains.

ReputationRep:
    If you book a ticket with South West trains far enough in advance, they can be fairly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElementWhat)
    I know wanting the cheapest and fastest route to Central London may be oxymoronic but as I'm starting my masters in Southampton Uni this year, I'd like to know what my options are for getting home are?

I'll have a car (and most likely a motorbike) but public transport would be most ideal considering I'd aim to hit Central London and go out. For those at Southampton and whose home is in London, how do you get home and what would you recommend?

Thanks!
    Don't just book a journey with southwest trains. Book a megatrain ticket.

I'm going home on thursday coming back monday and its costing me £12. I'm getting the coach back to London (no cheap train tickets) for £5 and then i'm getting the train from waterloo on monday for £6. There is a 50p booking fee but its still cheap and if i'd booked further enough in advance I could have gotten the train home too.

So either megatrain or national express are the cheapest. Sometimes megabus is cheap, depends. National express goes from main campus which can be helpful and cuts down having to go into the city centre.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    walking/helicopter

ReputationRep:
    Invent the Heisenberg Compensator and you can be back in nanoseconds...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can book in advance with South West Trains but you can with Southern. The only difference is the London station you arrive at (Victoria as opposed to Waterloo).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    I don't think you can book in advance with South West Trains but you can with Southern. The only difference is the London station you arrive at (Victoria as opposed to Waterloo).
    And it goes via pompey and takes ageeeees doesn't it?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Yeah you can, I got from Dorchester to Waterloo for £13 last October booking in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Yeah you can, I got from Dorchester to Waterloo for £13 last October booking in advance!
    My mistake, it's not all stations though: http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWT...s.htm?Letter=0

ReputationRep:
    Really handy! I'll be starting my final year in Southampton and I will travel frequently to London, so it's very nice we can book in advance to get cheaper tickets.
    Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    cheapest way would be the coach, which is £12 return, ish. A standard train, with a railcard, even booked on the day of travel, will be £20 return.

ReputationRep:
    I think megatrain is the best combo between cheap and fast. There are cheaper ways (coach) but it's obviously slower.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to find that if you follow the north star, you can make it in just under seven hours on foot - a nice warm-up before you hit the town :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    I tend to find that if you follow the north star, you can make it in just under seven hours on foot - a nice warm-up before you hit the town :beard:
    Tis the route us northerners would take :yes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 9 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.