Turn on thread page Beta

Power games making enjoyment of life impossible watch

hard-nigh on impossible. When people are too lacking in anger, quiet, hang back and ask questions or show awareness of others- 'posing as friends, acting as spies'--it gets me mad.
    And when they lead and judge, acting regally. Generally duty or thinking of others is one big power game and a disgustingly overrated British virtue. It is hard to desricbe as it's very rare I think, but it makes me so mad that people have not got more noble or honest pursuits on their mind than 'thinking of others'-how they even have the mindset to observe, probe etc is kind of sickening to me-I see them as trivial and it's a source of constant anger. I also really hate being patronised with peoples social conscience, their mother theresa complex, a subconscious way of them feeling powerful. All classic power games, but am infuriated because I don't want to partake. My consciousness of this means I can't anymore get absorbed in anything that's meaningful to me, and I have a low level and constant weariness about people's inability to shoot straight how I like it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Advice or indeed, appraisal or insights into what I describe-is it non sensical or does anyone else feeel this way?

I would add to the above a kind of feeling that your will and drive is being reduced, not just by people who hang back and are repressing themselves, but also by people who act regally and act like they are setting the agenda. Once again it's this profound depression in me that they are spoliers, this idealism to be involved in more authentic endeavours that gets me down

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you are saying. Explain more about "power games".

(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    I don't understand what you are saying. Explain more about "power games".
    I just have, I described them in both posts. Manipulation, and people being too conscious of others as though it's a noble thing in itself

People with the conciet to set agendas, seduce weaknesses, act as spies and probe etc, people who are not forthcoming. People haning back and asking about you, inquiring, it's probing and it's just to use and manipulate.

ReputationRep:
    .....speak english

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, this is going to happen wherever you go, especially in work places.

In fact, it gets worse in work places as you'll get those who'll brown nose the bosses and play everyone at th same time in order to get ahead. This is life. It sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm reading shakespeare as a five year old. What?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Maybe it would help to give examples OP?

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if im wrong starting guy.
    (which i probably am being only 15)

But i think he is talking about people who sit back and watch events unfold, then put in negative stuff?
    So, instead of someone saying something to your face, they will sit back and talk about you, find out about you and then subsequently start things about you i.e. rumors and the like.

I think thats what your getting at?
    Something like b*tching kinda'?

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you're saying, and i'm telling you now, its your attitude which is causing you to feel like this. I know you will strongly disagree with me here and you're convinced its other people around you. Its all in your mind my friend, once you ease off obsessing or thinking so hard about power, you'll eventually feel happy.

ReputationRep:
    Even asking someone a question is manipulating them, if you hate being human then live with the apes, I'm sure you'll love it there.

ReputationRep:
    So many words but so little meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're getting a little paranoid.. but people will play the power games wherever you go. You just need to learn who you can trust and who you can't.

Are you a bunhead OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bbeben)
    I feel like I'm reading shakespeare as a five year old. What?
    That's probably because you did:

... "They that have power to hurt, and will do none,
    that do not do the thing they most do show,
    who moving others are themselves as stone,
    unmoved, cold, and to temptation slow..."

etc. I forget which number it is. I think Shakespeare said it somewhat better than this guy.

- D.

PS: The next bit is good!

ReputationRep:
    http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...amireading.jpg

(Original post by MichaelG)
    I understand what you're saying, and i'm telling you now, its your attitude which is causing you to feel like this. I know you will strongly disagree with me here and you're convinced its other people around you. Its all in your mind my friend, once you ease off obsessing or thinking so hard about power, you'll eventually feel happy.
    I don't know it's all in my mind. I do notice when I relax that people do, don't know whether thats dangerous or I'm being a soft touch

Hope I will feel happy but when I think about politics and power I don't

ReputationRep:
    The world is full of insecure people whom feel as if they need to dissect other people’s weaknesses in order to a make up for their own personal inadequacies.

It's what makes the earth spin on its axis.

They who have the power to hurt and won't do it; who seem to be the epitome of some act but won't commit it, who arouse others to sexual excitement but are themselves like stone - cold, unemotional and not easily led into temptation - they will rightly inherit heaven's graces and prevent nature's treasures from being wasted. They are in possession of themselves; the rest are only managing their beauty for others' use. The summer flower is lovely when at its peak, although it's only fulfilling its function of living and dying, but if it falls victim to a serious infection the vilest weed will be better because the sweetest things become the most unattractive as a result of their bad deeds. Rotting lilies smell far worse than weeds.

Hmm...doesn't make sense to me, but the last bit confirms what I knew--good people who add some bad to stand up for themselves are seen as more immoral than those who are just 'naturally' bad...that sucks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.