Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever used drugs? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever used any illegal drugs?
    Marihuana
    57.84%
    Cocaine
    18.79%
    MDMA/ecstasy
    23.96%
    Heroin
    1.48%
    LSD
    8.14%
    Speed
    12.28%
    Others
    20.56%
    NONE
    38.02%

ReputationRep:
    None yet, but I am definitely planning on trying weed and E sometime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Joe, I'll admit that my 'argument' is entirely hard line- it's a rule I think is worth living by- but I think that there are enough creative young people who've never taken a drug to disprove the idea that drug use necessarily enhances creativity.

Looking at the world differently in any way can enhance creativity, but it's not a risk worth taking to do it by taking drugs because, just as time (and excessive quantity of food for instance) takes it toll on the body so surely does drug use and you can't perform plastic surgery on the brain if you change your mind, as so many do, about wanting to live fast (well, many actually live slow) and die young.
    how does that disprove the idea that using certain drugs enhances creativity? you do realise that even these 'creative' people's creativities can be further enhanced by using certain drugs, too?

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Have no links to offer it to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieloula)
    Drug taker I guess?

My reaction would tend to be laughter if I met you then.
    Not heavy, no. I just thought the fact you've branded about a third of the population "pathetic" for trying recreational drugs mind-bogglingly stupid.
    Are people who drink regularly pathetic as well? How about people who are dependent on coffee to keep going every day? Or is it just something being illegal that makes it pathetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)

We're students, **** happens
    im pro drugs lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    Right. My best friend tried some coke a few months ago while I was out with her, and she felt a lot worse after coke than MDMA. Who knows, it may have been bad quality or something odd mixed in with it, but she was a lot worse off after that than after a comedown from MDMA. True, she could have gone to work the next day, but after that for the next three days she suddenly crashed and was horribly depressed and then got flu-like symptoms, when an MDMA comedown usually only lasts for the next day. Judging by how she was, I'd certainly never do it. In any case, drugs affect people slightly differently, seems you were lucky.

And wtf, yes it is much more addictive than MDMA! It's known to be one of the most addictive drugs out there!

You can't say the effects of MDMA and coke are not comparable. They're both stimulants, both give you a rush of energy. I have not tried coke, so I'm not going to pretend I know the exact feeling, but I've been told by numerous friends that the effects are similar.

Anyway, pointless to argue about it since it's a subjective thing. I just wanted to say that MDMA is probably a better way to go since the effects last for longer, and there's a shorter comedown period.

Oh, and please don't 'facepalm' people, it's not very nice now is it?
    It is when you're completely wrong.
    My point was that MDMA is not addictive at all; it's not 'less addictive' as such, which implies an addictive quality in the first place - it's not addictive at all. I wasn't negating the addictive properties of Cocaine.

The difference in effect of Cocaine and MDMA IS vastly different and stupid to compare.

Comparison:
    Stimulants
    Give you energy
    Buzz

Differences:
    With one you're staring at amazinggggg lights monged out, buzzing to how amazing the music is and wanting to have sex with the nearest person of the opposite sex who is suddenly the most beautiful person on Earth.

With one you're just more confident and paranoid.

You could act sober with one, not with the other.

And I don';t know anyone who's really, really comedown with Cocaine. I did absolutely loads on NYE (and smoked it too), and by the next afternoon I was just tired and sniffly.

ReputationRep:
    Right. My best friend tried some coke a few months ago while I was out with her, and she felt a lot worse after coke than MDMA. Who knows, it may have been bad quality or something odd mixed in with it, but she was a lot worse off after that than after a comedown from MDMA. True, she could have gone to work the next day, but after that for the next three days she suddenly crashed and was horribly depressed and then got flu-like symptoms, when an MDMA comedown usually only lasts for the next day. Judging by how she was, I'd certainly never do it. In any case, drugs affect people slightly differently, seems you were lucky.

And wtf, yes it is much more addictive than MDMA! It's known to be one of the most addictive drugs out there!

You can't say the effects of MDMA and coke are not comparable. They're both stimulants, both give you a rush of energy. I have not tried coke, so I'm not going to pretend I know the exact feeling, but I've been told by numerous friends that the effects are similar.

Anyway, pointless to argue about it since it's a subjective thing. I just wanted to say that MDMA is probably a better way to go since the effects last for longer, and there's a shorter comedown period.

Drugs effect people in different ways, everyones different, and if you havent tried something, then you cant really give an opinion on it. and from experience and reading up, mdma and coke are completely different, effects and side effects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Not heavy, no. I just thought the fact you've branded about a third of the population "pathetic" for trying recreational drugs mind-bogglingly stupid.
    Are people who drink regularly pathetic as well? How about people who are dependent on coffee to keep going every day? Or is it just something being illegal that makes it pathetic?
    Why go against the law? If you think one illegal substance/act is okay, then where does it stop? You have no right to complain if you are a victim of theft, rape, a mugging etc, because you have gone over that line. You lose all moral integrity. I don't care if it's a third of the population, I'll tell each and every one of them what sad people they truly are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It is when you're completely wrong.
    My point was that MDMA is not addictive at all; it's not 'less addictive' as such, which implies an addictive quality in the first place - it's not addictive at all. I wasn't negating the addictive properties of Cocaine.
    what you say is all bang on, but mdma can be addictive, not physically but mentally

ReputationRep:

You don't really come down on coke, you just get tweaked and eventually crash, there isn't a comedown at all

Your friend was definitely not on coke

And MDMA and coke are veeeeeeery different, coke is pretty subtle, MDMA is just like a hit in the face with stimulants

Bubbles didn't dispute the addictiveness element

ReputationRep:
    Why go against the law? If you think one illegal substance/act is okay, then where does it stop? You have no right to complain if you are a victim of theft, rape, a mugging etc, because you have gone over that line. You lose all moral integrity. I don't care if it's a third of the population, I'll tell each and every one of them what sad people they truly are.
    Tell me.

TO MY FACE.

ReputationRep:
    How do you loose all moral integrity if you choose to dabble in something thats taboo? coke was the main ingredient on coca cola till it got banned, so then they add legal stimulants to try and give the same effect.

Something only gets made illegal when its abused, up until that point its fine, so are you saying the person who drinks coca cola up until its banned is ok, then if he chooses to drink it after some government bans it, he looses all moral integrity?

ReputationRep:
    Joe, I'll admit that my 'argument' is entirely hard line- it's a rule I think is worth living by- but I think that there are enough creative young people who've never taken a drug to disprove the idea that drug use necessarily enhances creativity.
    This does not make sense- I agree that creativity without the help of psychedelic drugs is totally possible and indeed accounts for the majority of cases (although that majority hasn't tried psychedelics..). I'm not saying that drug use always enhances creativity either, but I am saying that it has the potential to and has indeed been found to be a great creativity enhancer by many famous creative people. So psychedelic drugs indubitably have the potential to enhance creativity; thats all I'm saying.

Looking at the world differently in any way can enhance creativity, but it's not a risk worth taking to do it by taking drugs because, just as time (and excessive quantity of food for instance) takes it toll on the body so surely does drug use and you can't perform plastic surgery on the brain if you change your mind, as so many do, about wanting to live fast (well, many actually live slow) and die young.
    You claim to be 'sure' of this yet there is a lack of scientific study which backs up your claim. Aldous huxley took LSD on his deathbed and the discoveror of LSD died at 102, having retained as much of his sanity as you can expect of an old person. Of course there are risks but these are usually associated with over use.

Whether or not it the value gained from psychedelic drugs (which, as I have shown, there is potential for) is deemed worth the risk of taking them (which for a stable person in control of their habit is very low) is a personal judgement to be made by the individual. From my perspective it is worth it.

Drug use is not objectively right or wrong, it simply depends on the individuals values and perspective. (moral relativism)

(Original post by ShortRef)

Timothy Leary was crazy.
    Not as crazy as Foucault ! I don't feel, however, that this contradicts what I said.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, was awful for me!

Besides...horse tranquilizer...wtf was I thinking...

I don't know why but I feel that weed isn't as bad as the rest. Something kinda herbal and 'natural' about it. And it doesn't affect you that much, it's just a nice, lazy feeling with no comedown or anything. Whereas the rest seem all artificial and something I wouldn't really want to put in my body...get what I mean?
    Ketamine isn't a horse tranqilizer more used for cats and dogs, and in the UK it is one of the 101 Essential chemicals for a hospital to have, and paramedics use it if you are involved in a serious accident like if you had a car crash and your legs got crushed.

Herbal and Natural? weed... well cocain comes from a coca plant, and opaites are all from poppy, mushrooms are just mushrooms, mescaline comes from cacti. So they're all kind of natural.

MDMA however was invented by a guy trying to make deodrant and redescoverd as a recreational substance by Dr. Alexander Shulgin.
    So yeah thats about as chemical as it gets but possibley one of the best feelings currently know to man are experianced during this.
    :woo:Huh?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

Your morals are skewed if you think smoking weed makes you lose all moral integrity

This line of argument is farcical, you may as well say criminals have no rights to human rights if they are arrested because they have "crossed that line", don't be so extreme, it makes you look rather foolish to be honest

In my opinion you lead a sad life as you are so limited in your view that I imagine you shut yourself off from many new experiences, and to take this moral high ground over people who are somewhat more free than yourself is reprehensible

Your view that if its legal its right if its illegal its wrong is idiotic by the way, I imagine living in Germany during the Nuremburg laws would make it ok to kill Jews as well right?

ReputationRep:

Also if you look at in that way, before rape was outlawed, its fine to do it before then, you keep your integrity, as long as you don't do it after.

What about the laws in america that use to be prejudice againts coloureds. That isn't moral? just because there's a law there, it doesn't mean its right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortRef)
    Coke wasnt the main ingredient, there was really not much coke in coca cola at all.
    i know, but that isn't my point, you can see what im trying to get across ha

ReputationRep:
    All this thread has done is make me REALLY want to do loads more drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, the classic "if you take drugs you may as well rape a baby!" argument.

Doing drugs is an entirely different kettle of fish to those acts. You are adjudging the "line" of moral intergrity to be the law, i disagree, as do many other people. My "line" would be placed at more serious acts.
    Let me ask you another question (even though you didn't bother answering the others). Does someone who was caught speeding, or driving with their phone on, or littering lose all moral integrity as well?

The problem i have with drugs laws is that they dictate to me what i can and can't put in my body. I think it should be my choice.
    Just because the law says something is wrong, doesn't categorically mean it is in my opinion.

Now, to repeat my last questions:
    Are people who drink regularly pathetic as well? How about people who are dependent on coffee to keep going every day? How about people who do extreme sports to get highs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashley.W.)
    Also if you look at in that way, before rape was outlawed, its fine to do it before then, you keep your integrity, as long as you don't do it after.

What about the laws in america that use to be prejudice againts coloureds. That isn't moral? just because there's a law there, it doesn't mean its right
    Aww man, you beat me to it! Plus you worded it better than me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.