Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever used drugs? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever used any illegal drugs?
    Marihuana
    57.84%
    Cocaine
    18.79%
    MDMA/ecstasy
    23.96%
    Heroin
    1.48%
    LSD
    8.14%
    Speed
    12.28%
    Others
    20.56%
    NONE
    38.02%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieloula)
    I just didn't do a complete analysation of my desired system. Obviously you would never leave someone for dead if in trouble, but I don't think free services should be thrown at them. I think if addicts knew they had to pay for rehab eventually, they were concentrate harder on trying to get and stay clean.
    if someone needs rehab, i think paying for anything, or even when they are going to eat next is furthest from there minds, they only care about the next hit, or drink or whatever ther addicted too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    The vast majority of drug takers do it for the high. I don't know where you got this ridiculous stereotype of the esoteric philosopher drug taker. I've only ever seen those people in films and on TV.
    Also I was only replying to the guy saying I just didn't want to take risks which I was saying was a ridiculous argument because I don't see how drug taking is linked to wanting to take risks. Surely you do it for the high, not risk taking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    You're not ashamed of ignorance, nice :borat: . Are you going to answer my question by the way?
    No i'm going to bed, I have work in the morning and don't fancy wasting any more time chatting. Perhaps I'll have myself a line of coke to perk me up yeah? Lulz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    I have no problem with the ones that do it and don't shove it down your throat. As long as I don't have to listen to their crap while they're on the drugs then they're fine.

I'll say weed is the most annoying one because from no where, untalented musicians suddenly believe they're good. At least with crack and smack they'll leave you alone.

I just get pissed off at the "yeah I do drugs, so what? deal with it" when you don't even know who they are or why they're talking to you. If you want it for highs then go for it but if you do it for status then you are a tool.

In my opinion.
    Again, I don't know where you're getting this from.

I hope you're not one of the people who are like "I don't need drugs to enjoy myself" etc. Let people do what they want to do... if you don't want to do drugs that's fine, If I do, that's fine too.

Just because there are some pricks that take drugs doesn't mean they are all like that. Likewise, there are lots of pricks that don't take drugs but I don't hate on the masses of non-drug users.

The majority of the people in the UK have some drug of choice, whether it be some prescription drug they are addicted to, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco or an illicit substance. Alot of people are ****** up alot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashley.W.)
    if someone needs rehab, i think paying for anything, or even when they are going to eat next is furthest from there minds, they only care about the next hit, or drink or whatever ther addicted too
    I know, that's why it would be initially free. But once they're clean for a short period of time, if they know that payment is being enforced, they may be less likely to take again.

ReputationRep:
    My info was wrong on Ketamine - I'm not ashamed of not being knowledgeable on drugs tbh, it's not something that interests me.

Ectascy CAN swell your brain, a girl from my school died from it.

By the way, you cutesy speak is is laughable, lovey.
    O hai :flutter:

Anyway, no, ecstasy does not swell your brain. Are you still so dense you can't read what people are saying?

People die from hyponatremia, you know why? Because they drink too much WATER! They panic, and drink too much and their brains swell up and die. Not because of the ecstasy, but the water they drink. The reason they drink so much water is because ***** like you make them panic and think they're going to die.
    If they had left the ecstasy to run its course, all would have been fine and dandy the next day.

Ecstasy does not swell your brain. And you should be ashamed of spreading misinformation, congrats, you sound like the perfect Daily Mail reader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    :facepalm2:
    OMG No it can't!!! I told you in my reply to your essay which you chose to ignore that its from hyponatremia that these people die off!!!
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

Anyway, no, ecstasy does not swell your brain. Are you still so dense you can't read what people are saying?

Just to clarfiy, yes ecstasy can swell your brain . I had to do a presentation on hypo/hypernatraemia in my 3rd year.

Most hyponatraemic brain swellings are caused by people drinking water after taking ecstasy, but there have been a few cases where there wasn't excessive water intake. The theory is the MDMA stimulates vasopressin release, which causes water retention and in severe cases, hyponatraemia. It's more complicated than that but that's the gist of it.

Sorry to bum on your arguments but hey, you learn something new every day

ReputationRep:
    No i'm going to bed, I have work in the morning and don't fancy wasting any more time chatting. Perhaps I'll have myself a line of coke to perk me up yeah? Lulz.
    we found you on facebook. if you werent modertly fit we'd recommend having you put down

p.s. are you the blonde?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

People die from hyponatremia, you know why? Because they drink too much WATER! They panic, and drink too much and their brains swell up and die. Not because of the ecstasy, but the water they drink. The reason they drink so much water is because ***** like you make them panic and think they're going to die.
    If they had left the ecstasy to run its course, all would have been fine and dandy the next day.

Ecstasy does not swell your brain. And you should be ashamed of spreading misinformation, congrats, you sound like the perfect Daily Mail reader.
    I know what you mean. The daily mail jumps all over anything about drugs ever.

I hate how they are like "1 joint may KILL U!!11!!" and outrageous headlines that say misleading statements that cannot be backed by any evidence whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Tried a fair few things, personally i only think it is a problem with heavy use. Alcohol is far worse than many other drugs in my oppinion. It is more likely to cause aggression, provoke an accident, cause someone to choke on their own vomit etc etc than ecstacy is. Ecstacy is pretty safe if pure and the user educated. Virtually every ecstacy death is due to drinking too much or too little water, or taking huge doses.

The main drugs i think should be illegal are crack cocaine and heroin. I think Ecstacy, LSD, magic mushrooms etc should be legalised. Mushrooms were available from hippie shops for years and didn't cause problems. LSD has no recorded deaths from toxicity, only bad trips. I haven't taken LSD, but i've heard that generally bad trips occur often when people take too high a dose. If it were legalised the strength of the doses could be standardised so people don't take three trips thinking they're as week as a previous batch etc.

Some of the psychoactives have been used for centuries in religious ceremonies and i truly feel using them can expand and alter ones perspective. From taking magic mushrooms i think they do have a place in aiding philosophical thought. LSD probably could have aswell. I've got more respect for these and ecstacy for it's insight inducing effects, than cocaine or alcohol for their arrogant, rowdy, sometimes aggressive effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Just to clarfiy, yes ecstasy can swell your brain . I had to do a presentation on hypo/hypernatraemia in my 3rd year.

Most hyponatraemic brain swellings are caused by people drinking water after taking ecstasy, but there have been a few cases where there wasn't excessive water intake. The theory is the MDMA stimulates vasopressin release, which causes water retention and in severe cases, hyponatraemia. It's more complicated than that but that's the gist of it.
    ok but basically taking E by itself won't swell your brain right? And If you have 1 pint of water an hour and sip it slow its ok right?

cos this is what I do

ReputationRep:
    I know, that's why it would be initially free. But once they're clean for a short period of time, if they know that payment is being enforced, they may be less likely to take again.
    Cya, and take care

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis, Ketamine, Rohypnol (unintentional), Speed, MDMA, Diazepam, Cocaine, Oxycodine
    I am now officially 14 months drug free and staying that way for good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thompsonbassman)
    Again, I don't know where you're getting this from.

I hope you're not one of the people who are like "I don't need drugs to enjoy myself" etc. Let people do what they want to do... if you don't want to do drugs that's fine, If I do, that's fine too.

Just because there are some pricks that take drugs doesn't mean they are all like that. Likewise, there are lots of pricks that don't take drugs but I don't hate on the masses of non-drug users.

The majority of the people in the UK have some drug of choice, whether it be some prescription drug they are addicted to, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco or an illicit substance. Alot of people are ****** up alot of the time.

I don't need drugs to enjoy myself but that'd be the first time I've said it. No one needs drugs to enjoy themselves, it's just an extra method of doing so. If you want to then great but as I said, SOME users annoy me. A lot of people annoy me. Drunks are the worst but currently I'm chatting about up their arse drug takers.

I don't just find out people take drugs and automatically dislike them...I just find that with drugs you get a certain type of person that thinks that drugs make them cooler or better at living. Some drug users don't but I have nothing to say about them.

You get perfectly decent people who take drugs like you, ermm some others that I can't remember the names of...then you get perfect examples of what I mean with nex angelus who is the definition of a tool. Thinking drugs and alcohol somehow make him 10 points cooler on the internet. Then you get bubbles who'd be a moron regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with the ones that do it and don't shove it down your throat. As long as I don't have to listen to their crap while they're on the drugs then they're fine.

I'll say weed is the most annoying one because from no where, untalented musicians suddenly believe they're good. At least with crack and smack they'll leave you alone.

I just get pissed off at the "yeah I do drugs, so what? deal with it" when you don't even know who they are or why they're talking to you. If you want it for highs then go for it but if you do it for status then you are a tool.

In my opinion.
    If someone is like that, id probably feel the same way, people like that are after attention or caught up in thinking its cool. If i went out and did something, if i didnt know someone, id keep it too myself, i wouldnt flaunt it. unless someone i met asked, then i might say if i trusted them. it aint something to parade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    we found you on facebook. if you werent modertly fit we'd recommend having you put down

p.s. are you the blonde?
    yep cos if shes not the blonde than our initial recommendation to put her down still stands i think.

and yeah...people like her cause more harm than the MDMA/E itself. ironic isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefatchicks)
    Cannabis, Ketamine, Rohypnol (unintentional), Speed, MDMA, Diazepam, Cocaine, Oxycodine
    I am now officially 14 months drug free and staying that way for good
    how come you kicked them, well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    ok but basically taking E by itself won't swell your brain right? And If you have 1 pint of water an hour and sip it slow its ok right?

cos this is what I do
    Its not concrete yet, but if the vasopressin theory is correct (and there's a fair amount of evidence indicating it is) then technically yes, one E could kill you, though it is extremely unlikely. Basically if you're not peeing (which is what vasopressin does) then water is building up in your body, and can cause hyponatraemia.

However for water to build up to brain swelling levels you've either got to be not peeing for a long time, drinking excessively, or both (which is usually the case).

If you're taking Es occasionally and are only drinking a pint an hour you should be OK, but you should keep an eye on what's going out as well as in. You should also be aware of how much water you have taken in BEFORE you took the E, as it will not be out of your system when you take it if you haven't urinated.

Oh, also if you are exercising (read: dancing like a drugged up mofo) then you are sweating, therefore losing sodium, therefore screwing your water balance even more. It isn't actually excess water that causes brain swelling, its excess water COMPARED to sodium. Hyponatraemia means low sodium (hypo=low, nat=sodium). This is why marathon runners have died of brain swelling.

ReputationRep:
    My info was wrong on Ketamine - I'm not ashamed of not being knowledgeable on drugs tbh, it's not something that interests me.

Ectascy CAN swell your brain, a girl from my school died from it.

By the way, you cutesy speak is is laughable, lovey.
    I know youve gone, but you might see this next time.

You cant really have a debate on something you don't know, if your not even open to listening to others and learning more about it, thats mental ha

ReputationRep:
    I don't need drugs to enjoy myself but that'd be the first time I've said it. No one needs drugs to enjoy themselves, it's just an extra method of doing so.
    You will never experience enjoyment to the level I have. Bummer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.