Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever used drugs? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever used any illegal drugs?
    Marihuana
    57.84%
    Cocaine
    18.79%
    MDMA/ecstasy
    23.96%
    Heroin
    1.48%
    LSD
    8.14%
    Speed
    12.28%
    Others
    20.56%
    NONE
    38.02%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Its not concrete yet, but if the vasopressin theory is correct (and there's a fair amount of evidence indicating it is) then technically yes, one E could kill you, though it is extremely unlikely. Basically if you're not peeing (which is what vasopressin does) then water is building up in your body, and can cause hyponatraemia.

However for water to build up to brain swelling levels you've either got to be not peeing for a long time, drinking excessively, or both (which is usually the case).
    you start to sweat alot then aswell, if you wasn't drinking water though, would that still happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    I don't need drugs to enjoy myself but that'd be the first time I've said it. No one needs drugs to enjoy themselves, it's just an extra method of doing so.

thats what i think, its just a different feeling to being drunk, nothing more. i would stop if i needed them to have a good time, thats when the partys over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    I don't need drugs to enjoy myself but that'd be the first time I've said it. No one needs drugs to enjoy themselves, it's just an extra method of doing so. If you want to then great but as I said, SOME users annoy me. A lot of people annoy me. Drunks are the worst but currently I'm chatting about up their arse drug takers.

I don't just find out people take drugs and automatically dislike them...I just find that with drugs you get a certain type of person that thinks that drugs make them cooler or better at living. Some drug users don't but I have nothing to say about them.

You get perfectly decent people who take drugs like you, ermm some others that I can't remember the names of...then you get perfect examples of what I mean with nex angelus who is the definition of a tool. Thinking drugs and alcohol somehow make him 10 points cooler on the internet. Then you get bubbles who'd be a moron regardless.
    I do understand your point.

Taking drugs to look cool or to brag about it is stupid..

If people are like "Yeahh I'm gonna go and get high later" or whatever... totally uncalled for it's something you just don't say if that was what you were planning to do.

I just think if that's what some people are doing then they are just sad people that need to get into the real world.

I only smoke weed and that is just to relax and chill out and I enjoy munching some good food down when I'm high, my life doesn't revolve around getting high though - getting high revolves around my life, peace.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashley.W.)
    you start to sweat alot then aswell, if you wasn't drinking water though, would that still happen?
    No because it causes water retention, so if you weren't drinking any water then you wouldn't have excess water to retain effectively.
    Unless you didn't pee for like a loooong time but if you still weren't drinking water by this point I think dehydration would be more dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    how come you kicked them, well done
    My head started going west

ReputationRep:
    Its not concrete yet, but if the vasopressin theory is correct (and there's a fair amount of evidence indicating it is) then technically yes, one E could kill you, though it is extremely unlikely. Basically if you're not peeing (which is what vasopressin does) then water is building up in your body, and can cause hyponatraemia.

However for water to build up to brain swelling levels you've either got to be not peeing for a long time, drinking excessively, or both (which is usually the case).

If you're taking Es occasionally and are only drinking a pint an hour you should be OK, but you should keep an eye on what's going out as well as in. You should also be aware of how much water you have taken in BEFORE you took the E, as it will not be out of your system when you take it if you haven't urinated.

Oh, also if you are exercising (read: dancing like a drugged up mofo) then you are sweating, therefore losing sodium, therefore screwing your water balance even more. It isn't actually excess water that causes brain swelling, its excess water COMPARED to sodium. Hyponatraemia means low sodium (hypo=low, nat=sodium). This is why marathon runners have died of brain swelling.
    Just reposting this as i made a substantial edit. I should have clarified that it is the sodium/water balance which is crucial to brain swelling, not just having lots of water in your body.

ReputationRep:
    "my life doesn't revolve around getting high though - getting high revolves around my life"
    good comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebecca871)
    No because it causes water retention, so if you weren't drinking any water then you wouldn't have excess water to retain effectively.
    Unless you didn't pee for like a loooong time but if you still weren't drinking water by this point I think dehydration would be more dangerous.
    i understand that, but you sweat if your getting to hot to cool down, would that still happen, then you are leading to dehydrating

ReputationRep:
    "my life doesn't revolve around getting high though - getting high revolves around my life"
    good comment
    thanks man I think it was a pretty sweet quote too :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Just reposting this as i made a substantial edit. I should have clarified that it is the sodium/water balance which is crucial to brain swelling, not just having lots of water in your body.

Out of experience, ive never seen somebody in serious danger from a dodgy e, what ive read, it tends to be how theyve acted, long periods of dancing, excessive drinking, mixing it with other stuff. how many e's get ate everyweekend? and how often is there a death reported about it.

i still think in moderation, and being sensible, you should be ok
    and having friends you can trust if something does go wrong

ReputationRep:
    i understand that, but you sweat if your getting to hot to cool down, would that still happen, then you are leading to dehydrating
    Bear in mind that when you sweat you lose water AND electrolytes (ie. sodium). If you then have a pint of water your water levels may be normal, but your sodium levels will still be low. Low and behold, you are hyponatraemic. Combine with this you not peeing, and you can be in trouble.

However, it does usually take a lot of sweating, a lot of drinking, and very little weeing.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Out of experience, ive never seen somebody in serious danger from a dodgy e, what ive read, it tends to be how theyve acted, long periods of dancing, excessive drinking, mixing it with other stuff. how many e's get ate everyweekend? and how often is there a death reported about it.

i still think in moderation, and being sensible, you should be ok
    and having friends you can trust if something does go wrong
    Read my above post. It is very unusual for a sensible person to go hyponatraemic, but there are a lot of factors working towards it.
    In moderation you should be fine, but there are never any guarentees.

If you do think you may be sweating too much, drinking too much and peeing too little then your best bet is to get a lucozade down you. Again, rinse and repeat if you think a friend is going the same way.

ReputationRep:
    so basically no probs if you take MDMA and just chill out with your friends enjoying the high in a room/field (without much activity..i.e sitting on the bed/mattress etc) since theres no sweating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    so basically no probs if you take MDMA and just chill out with your friends enjoying the high in a room/field (without much activity..i.e sitting on the bed/mattress etc) since theres no sweating.
    No, shouldn't be. Just watch your water intake and you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    I smoke weed because it makes me play the guitar better. If im not high I cant play the guitar at all, but sometimes when Im high I just chill and strum a few notes and play smoke on the water and bye bye american pie.

ReputationRep:
    Read my above post. It is very unusual for a sensible person to go hyponatraemic, but there are a lot of factors working towards it.
    In moderation you should be fine, but there are never any guarentees.

If you do think you may be sweating too much, drinking too much and peeing too little then your best bet is to get a lucozade down you. Again, rinse and repeat if you think a friend is going the same way.
    Dont mean to seem like im bragging or bigging up substance abuse, ive took them since i was 16(the next person along could of done them for longer). at first they were really good, then the effects get less and less with tolerance or messing with my sertonin levels. You end up taking a few more to get the same feeling, the downs started to outweigh the ups, so i lay off them. being sensible. but we did start to eat too many of them.

now if i have one im likely to have one or 2. and its not as often anymore. like i said with the weed, it doesnt agree with me so i left it.

if your generally sensible, know your limits. and no when its time to step back, you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    I smoke weed because it makes me play the guitar better. If im not high I cant play the guitar at all, but sometimes when Im high I just chill and strum a few notes and play smoke on the water and bye bye american pie.
    You probably just as bad as when your straight headed. you just think you sound better

ReputationRep:
    Aaha.

I hope to god you're joking :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Either a great joke or an epic douche.

If your not joking, see this video to understand what you look like to other people:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o5T_HsCZEQ

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.