Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey im just wondering about the chances of getting a place back in uni residence in my third year? i don't have a year abroad or anything, just a bit concerned about the money side of things as im pretty sure next year (my second year) is gonna be expennnnnsive. but yeah, like the sound of being in a tocil flat or something. i know this is a while in advance but i'm just curious. any chance of being able to move into a tocil flat with a friend too?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have the same concern, and the same thing with moving in with a friend. I'm not sure about the friend thing, but a LOT of rising 3rd years that I know are moving in on campus like Tocil and Redfern, so I'm assuming it's not that rare to do so? Someone else can probably answer this better hahaha, but I'd like to know too.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, if youre a student from the UK who hasnt had a year abroad then it is unlikely you will get back on campus.

I cant quite remember how it works, but you can either apply individually or as a group. Names are picked out of a hat and if your group is successful then I think that you typically get put together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vix_245)
    And when do they tell u whether u have been successful or not? So is there lots of time to sort out a house before good ones have gone?
    Cz my group have mentioned about going back on campus too :-)
    Looking back at my old emails, I found out at the beginning of December so theres plenty of time to make alternative plans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Matematico)
    Looking back at my old emails, I found out at the beginning of December so theres plenty of time to make alternative plans.
    When do you start applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'anami!)
    When do you start applying?
    Assuming things havent changed, you apply at the beginning of November. You should receive an email about it all anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, no harm in trying!
    And you can find cheaper houses in Leamington you just have to look harder/live further out!

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, if youre a student from the UK who hasnt had a year abroad then it is unlikely you will get back on campus.

I cant quite remember how it works, but you can either apply individually or as a group. Names are picked out of a hat and if your group is successful then I think that you typically get put together.
    erm dunno. everyone i know have easily gotten a room on campus. arent there quite a few options? Westwood, Claycroft (?), Tocil etc...if it really is as 'hard' then i guess all my friends were just quite lucky

Assuming things havent changed, you apply at the beginning of November. You should receive an email about it all anyway.
    we have to apply in November? what happens if we get a place and then towards the end of the year we decide that we dont want it anymore...can we reject it or how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    erm dunno. everyone i know have easily gotten a room on campus. arent there quite a few options? Westwood, Claycroft (?), Tocil etc...if it really is as 'hard' then i guess all my friends were just quite lucky

we have to apply in November? what happens if we get a place and then towards the end of the year we decide that we dont want it anymore...can we reject it or how?
    Well I was just speaking from experience; myself and everyone else I spoke to about it hadn't got back on. We could of course all just have been unlucky though. While there is a fair amount of choice, theres also a large number of foreign students who get first choice if they apply to get back onto campus. Maybe someone has some stats regarding the % of UK students whos applications to get back onto campus are successful.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I have a year abroad so I'm guaranteed it. You can also have it on medical grounds if necessary for those reasons.

If not, I think you apply and then from everyone who has applied, they draw lots to see who gets campus accom and who doesn't then they should email you to tell you if your application was successful or not... two of my friends tried it for this year but they didn't get it and had to live off campus.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to move back on campus for 3rd year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Why would you want to move back on campus for 3rd year?
    I'm not but if I were it would be:
    >twofo
    >new union
    >no commute

****, I should have gone on campus...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    I'm not but if I were it would be:
    >twofo
    >new union
    >no commute

****, I should have gone on campus...
    Yeah... BUT;

"the bubble"
    union wont be as good as having full range of leam/cov bars + clubs
    millions of annoying first years around
    block wardens
    crappy warwick rules

Ok, twofo is useful, but a 20mb/s cable connection is near as damm it as good. Plus you can wireless it. No commute is nice, but last year non of my lectures were before 10 apart from one seminar which I arrived at twice, so hardly worth getting back on campus for that.

Cov all the way for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Yeah... BUT;

"the bubble"
    union wont be as good as having full range of leam/cov bars + clubs
    millions of annoying first years around
    block wardens
    crappy warwick rules

Ok, twofo is useful, but a 20mb/s cable connection is near as damm it as good. Plus you can wireless it. No commute is nice, but last year non of my lectures were before 10 apart from one seminar which I arrived at twice, so hardly worth getting back on campus for that.

Cov all the way for me!

There are advantages to both... I am looking forward to being back on campus as I like that it's all a bubble in one place, it makes life so much easier and I hate commuting. Though your point about annoying first years everywhere is probably true.

ReputationRep:
    The chances are very low. Most people I talked to on my course (4 year MMath) didn't get a place on campus in their final year.

ReputationRep:
    Of the half dozen people I know who applied for campus for their third year, none of which had taken a year abroad but only 2 of which were international students, they all got a place.

ReputationRep:
    I know they say that all home students get equal chances at getting campus accommodation but I think if you mix it up a bit by living with international students, match your choices to everyone in the group and describe yourself to match the accommodation you'll get a better chance.

I think most home students that apply get it. Lots of people get discouraged before they try.

ReputationRep:
    I was back on campus for my fourth year, and it was a nice experience for the most part. Certainly it helped with my degree, and it helped that Claycroft is about a 3 minute walk from Maths as well :-p

ReputationRep:
    I'm a UK student who didn't have a year abroad and i got a place back on campus in claycroft for this year... i think it's something like a 1/7 chance for a place (for those who aren't guaranteed a place) But you increase your chances if you apply in a group because if one person in the group gets a place all the others in the group do as well (although you can apply in a group with somebody who is guaranteed a place it won't improve your chances as only the non-guaranteed people get put into the ballot)

You will find out if you've got a place early enough so that you can look for off campus houses if you needed to...
    :-)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.