Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (I guess this could have gone either in the post graduate or cambridge subsections)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've searched to no avail,

at the end of an mphil course (in particular at Cambridge) what is the mark scheme like?

From what I've read I've heard you get a transcript from your department with information of how you've done on it.

Though I have heard people talk about a masters with distinction?

I'm guessing that would be virtually impossible at cambridge,but if anyone knows how the mphil actually works, please say

cheers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by riotgrrrl)
    (I guess this could have gone either in the post graduate or cambridge subsections)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've searched to no avail,

at the end of an mphil course (in particular at Cambridge) what is the mark scheme like?

From what I've read I've heard you get a transcript from your department with information of how you've done on it.

Though I have heard people talk about a masters with distinction?

I'm guessing that would be virtually impossible at cambridge,but if anyone knows how the mphil actually works, please say

cheers
    Taught MAs at Cambridge or elsewhere only have two or three degree classes: distinction (roughly the equivalent of a first), merit (roughly similar to a 2.1, but not all universities have it; quite a few just give distinctions and passes) and pass (anything else that isn't a fail).
    That's only the overall results, though. The specific marks you got over the course of your degree will show up on your transcript, whereas 'pass', 'distinction' (or 'merit' if your university awards merits) will show up on your certificate.

ReputationRep:
    To get a distinction you need to get at least 70% and over in all your papers...which you may well need to do if you are wanting the MPhil to count towards the DPhil - depending on your competition of course. :p:

ReputationRep:
    sorry, went on holiday, thanks guys! I am hoping to go onto Dphil - but coming from lancaster, am just hoping the workload isn't too much of a shock so I can pass the year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrrl)
    sorry, went on holiday, thanks guys! I am hoping to go onto Dphil - but coming from lancaster, am just hoping the workload isn't too much of a shock so I can pass the year!
    In an Arts course, the workload at postgraduate level is less intense and fast-paced than undergrad here. However the nature of the work is very different.

ReputationRep:
    Officially the MPhil at Cambridge doesn't have different classifications. Your degree just says MPhil Cambridge. There is also no such thing as a distinction (officially) but if you get over seventy you get a letter of congratulations from the examiners and you are entitled to refer to it as a distinction externally (as it's considered to be equivalent) Apart from that you just pass, although they will tell you your actual mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    Officially the MPhil at Cambridge doesn't have different classifications. Your degree just says MPhil Cambridge. There is also no such thing as a distinction (officially) but if you get over seventy you get a letter of congratulations from the examiners and you are entitled to refer to it as a distinction externally (as it's considered to be equivalent) Apart from that you just pass, although they will tell you your actual mark.
    Do any of you have an idea of the pass(or better)/fail ratio at Cambridge? Im doing an Mphil in Finance this year. Is it possible for a person, even if it puts in an effort, to fail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frisch)
    Do any of you have an idea of the pass(or better)/fail ratio at Cambridge? Im doing an Mphil in Finance this year. Is it possible for a person, even if it puts in an effort, to fail?

I don't know this, however in Lancs you were expected (with the same amount of effort) to get around 10% lower than degree. Though this is what people have said. I can relate to your worry though, sorry to not be as much help!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Of course it's possible. It probably won't happen very often, though, as obviously they'll be aiming to admit only people who can at least manage a good pass.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate did MPhil Finance last year and was convinced she was going to fail things but she ended up doing excellent. I think in the MPhil Finance you have to be clever in the courses you take, and then if you work you shouldn't fail, the failure rate is for the most part quite low(although there seems to be quite a few in Economics)

If I were you I'd think carefully about taking anything offered by the Econ Faculty and anything offered by the Maths department.

Are you in Cambs, doing the pre maths course already?It seems like only yesterday I started it.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)

If I were you I'd think carefully about taking anything offered by the Econ Faculty and anything offered by the Maths department.

Are you in Cambs, doing the pre maths course already?It seems like only yesterday I started it.

Good Luck!
    Yes, I am. The precourse is intense. I have, more or less, decided on not to do courses from Econ/Math. What did you do? Ive also heard that "only people doing econometrics/math fail". But it seems tough now. When you say low, what do you mean? We´re 25-30 in the class, what is your guesstimate on the failure rate?

ReputationRep:
    You used to get 3 categories. A High Performance (1st equivalent) A Pass (2:1), and then a Redeemable performance (high 2:2)

However, for a few course this year they have done away with the Redeemable Performance (2:2) category of degree. Therefore unless you get 60% you will fail, and seeing as PG work tends to get 10% less than UG (or so I have heard), you must get a 1st class UG standard in everything to pass. Surely that cant be right

Also, if you did fail, what on earth do you put on your CV? I'd want employers to know I had been at Cambridge, especially since I'm paying 14k for the pleasure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by PantryLeader)
    You used to get 3 categories. A High Performance (1st equivalent) A Pass (2:1), and then a Redeemable performance (high 2:2)

However, for a few course this year they have done away with the Redeemable Performance (2:2) category of degree. Therefore unless you get 60% you will fail, and seeing as PG work tends to get 10% less than UG (or so I have heard), you must get a 1st class UG standard in everything to pass. Surely that cant be right
    Even if it really were that simple (which it probably isn't; the "10% less" thing is just a rough approximation), what would be wrong with that? Postgraduate courses are meant to be more challenging.
    Also, if you did fail, what on earth do you put on your CV? I'd want employers to know I had been at Cambridge, especially since I'm paying 14k for the pleasure.
    But would you want them to know you had been there and failed?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am. The precourse is intense. I have, more or less, decided on not to do courses from Econ/Math. What did you do? Ive also heard that "only people doing econometrics/math fail". But it seems tough now. When you say low, what do you mean? We´re 25-30 in the class, what is your guesstimate on the failure rate?

I'd say one or two if any to be honest, I didn't hear of anyone failing last year(not that people would boast about it). Definitely don't do econometrics ( I found that course really difficult and very dry) and I heard a story about a girl two years ago who did a part three maths module and got 9 percent. I have a friend who did lots of the maths and econometrics modules and still came out with a distinction, and he said that econometrics was easy compared to the maths. He was very very intelligent but found it really difficult.

As I'm sure you know, you have to get sixty to pass the MPhil Finance, but if you get a 50(a pass in Economics) in an economics course it gets scaled up to sixy. But, it is really feasible to do well in Finance, if you start working hard from day one and stay on top of things.

ReputationRep:
    Contacted the administrator; she said at least one fail on average. So you seem to quite on the spot. Yea, Ill stay away from Econometrics. I consider Micro, but doubt that I will take it. Thank you for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)

But would you want them to know you had been there and failed?
    Indians used to be famous for listing their failed exams as part of their resume. You can see a bit of this in Gandhi, I think. There are stories out there of Indian aristocrats signing in at a hotel with "Oxon (failed)" after their names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camilli)
    Indians used to be famous for listing their failed exams as part of their resume. You can see a bit of this in Gandhi, I think. There are stories out there of Indian aristocrats signing in at a hotel with "Oxon (failed)" after their names.
    Really worth reviving a 4 year old thread with this?

ReputationRep:
    Made me laugh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.