Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a link between appetite & giving up smoking....? watch

ReputationRep:
    i.e. is there scientific evidence to prove that your appetite increases when you give up smoking....

ReputationRep:
    it is not clear cut sorry to say. See the thing is that smoking is a terrible habit, and when you have a habit of any sort once you stop that habit you feel that you need to be doing something else to fill the "void". Some ppl who give up smoking purposely eat more so as to have an excuse to go back to smoking. I gave up 5 months ago and i have never felt better, cleaner, healthier and i have not gained any weight, infact i have lost some. lol
    It affects ppl differently, i gave up because i was sick and tired of it. It was easy i am now free from smoking and you know i didnt eat more when i gave up that is because i filled my time with things i didnt do before, i walk my dog even more now, i exercise etc. Good luck hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if there *is* a scientific link between the two. But I do know that smoking is meant to supress your appetite . So I imagine that once you are no longer smoking your appetite increases, it could be something due to the fact that you can actually taste food properly again.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about evidence, (I'm too lazy to google it :P), but I'm sure there is somewhere.

I heard that when you smoke a cigarette your body actually thinks that it's food. Therefore suppressing your appetite.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.