Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Research masters scholarships - how hard is it to get one? how to improve chances Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi folks,

i have a first class degree, plus hopefully at the end of this year, a chartered tax qualification. it is my dream to do my MRes in a specific area of philosophy, and i know a college offering scolarships. how can i improve my chances to get one? is it mainly on CV, or originality of proposal? or quality or detail of proposal? what sorts of things should i do to get one? and how hard/competitive is it generally? will i be competing with eg 40 year old business men with published papers, or just normal students?

has anyone ever got one?how?

ReputationRep:
    Funding in Philosophy is pretty rare, and funding for a masters only is rarer still. Most funding will be in the form of Research Council 1+3 so you are committed to doing a taught masters then the three year PhD.

However, if you know of a college offering masters only scholarships then apply there, although it is likely to be very, very competitive. Having a first class degree is almost essential in order to get funding in humanities subjects, all of the things you mentioned in your post are important as well. Having publications would also help - even just a book review or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    no it is a Mres leading to Phd which is my absolute dream! however, how on earth can anyone ever afford to do one?

even with scholarship to cover tuition fees, what do you live off of for four years??

i will take the advice and get some work published, though dont most journals need you to be postgrad first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyToy)
    hi folks,

i have a first class degree, plus hopefully at the end of this year, a chartered tax qualification. it is my dream to do my MRes in a specific area of philosophy, and i know a college offering scolarships. how can i improve my chances to get one? is it mainly on CV, or originality of proposal? or quality or detail of proposal? what sorts of things should i do to get one? and how hard/competitive is it generally? will i be competing with eg 40 year old business men with published papers, or just normal students?

has anyone ever got one?how?

Philosophy will be the AHRC which AFAIK don't offer the 1+3 scheme whereas the ESRC does. And the MRes is still a one year course - it's not a Masters and PhD combined.

With regards to the AHRC MA funding so for the Research Preparation Masters courses (effectively a course that has enough research training to let you loose on a PhD) funding is done via the BGP route.

Basically a select number of unis have BGP funding which is where they get given a quota of "studentships" as it were for both MAs and PhDs. Not every uni has these, and even if they do, it may well only be for certain subjects. The majority of BGP money is aimed at Doctoral awards and you're only looking at 151 MA (or equivalent) course spots offering funding around the UK for the next five years for Philosophy. 33 of those have already gone for the 09/10 entry. So for the following years (10/11 entry, 11/12, 12/13 and 13/14) you're looking at: 32, 31, 32 and 33 respectively.

Unis which have BGP funding are here: http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportu...f%20Awards.pdf

Bare in mind not all of those will have funding for Philosophy so it's choosing which unis you know have the good departments and academics working in your field and then seeing how many spots they have to fill. Outside of Oxford and Cambridge, most universities for the BGP did not get awards into double figures for each independent year. PG funding of any kind is competitive at the best of times, but more so this year with loads more students going on for another year.

If however you've seen a university stipend of their own for 4 years (can't say I ever see 4 year ones for Arts subjects so you're lucky!) it'll come down to being a based a lot on the proposal (and whether they've got someone to supervise it), academic transcript (the tax qualification I really don't think will help matters and instead if you did place it on the CV as something I'm assuming you did on a year off or in your spare time, you might get the attitude of "well they've not done anything to enhance their academic career, just furthered a side point". References will be a big factor as well. They won't be expecting undergrads to have oddles of publications as it's tough enough for academics to get published, let alone students but think about any other things you've done - attended conferences, seminars etc etc.

With regards to funding PhDs - most people will be either doing it because they've got research council funding or their employer is funding it. Or the other option - work and do the PhD part time but it's a long process.

Hope this helps a bit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.