Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please help! I need some careers advice.

I am a non-cognate student due to embark on a postgraduate course (PgDip or MSc) in either Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying (my first degree which I gained last yr was in Politics!). I know the basic differences between the two but would like some advice on which I should choose. Which one would have good career prospects (in terms of future earnings, job availability etc) and give me more opportunities to work on projects abroad?

I know QS is more office-based and students need to be confident with numbers. The last time I did Maths properly was at GCSE level (I got an A) which slightly puts me off QS but is it true to say QSs are more in demand internationally? I would love to work abroad once I have charted status via a grad scheme but am worried about how much Maths I will need to use.

Any advice on advantages/disadvantages of both would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Carlene

ReputationRep:
    Hi- im hopefully doing the real estate course at 'reading university' next year- however, im more interested in the valuation and investment side of property, so really im not much help 2bh. However, building surveying does sound more interesting, even though on the whole I would imagine QS is better paid.

ReputationRep:
    Another thread on this here.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.