Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please help! I need some careers advice.

I am a non-cognate student due to embark on a postgraduate course (PgDip or MSc) in either Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying (my first degree which I gained last yr was in Politics!). I know the basic differences between the two but would like some advice on which I should choose. Which one would have good career prospects (in terms of future earnings, job availability etc) and give me more opportunities to work on projects abroad?

I know QS is more office-based and students need to be confident with numbers. The last time I did Maths properly was at GCSE level (I got an A) which slightly puts me off QS but is it true to say QSs are more in demand internationally? I would love to work abroad once I have charted status via a grad scheme but am worried about how much Maths I will need to use.

Any advice on advantages/disadvantages of both would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Carlene

ReputationRep:
    Hi- im hopefully doing the real estate course at 'reading university' next year- however, im more interested in the valuation and investment side of property, so really im not much help 2bh. However, building surveying does sound more interesting, even though on the whole I would imagine QS is better paid.

ReputationRep:
    Another thread on this here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.