Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I personally take that with a pinch of salt. I reckon it's just a guideline from the companies (so that nobody can sue them for using a seven-month-old mascara and it making them unwell when it says six months on the tube) and not something to be followed absolutely. I reckon that if you still think it looks OK (and use your brain here!!) then you can probably still use it. Each piece of makeup or skincare will have the little pot logo on the side with a different usage guide written on it - usually 6M (six months), 12M (twelve months) or 18M (eighteen months). I have occasionally seen 24M or 36M but not often.

I see it as being like use by dates on food - if a yoghurt has the 9th August written on it but it's been kept in a very cold fridge and not been opened then you're probably still OK to eat it for a week more than they say. It's just about using common sense.

ReputationRep:
    waterproof define a lash :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    aren't you meant to replace your make up every six months? or is that just a myth i heard?
    You're supposed to get rid of it after 6 months (or something), but I kept mine for a couple of years..
    If it's not finished, I won't throw it away... Unless it starts to stink or make my eyes go dodgy or grow mould.. which it hasn't..

BTW I use rimmel extra super lash. The normal brush is actually better then the curved brush :eek: lol and it costs around £5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    You're supposed to get rid of it after 6 months (or something), but I kept mine for a couple of years..
    If it's not finished, I won't throw it away... Unless it starts to stink or make my eyes go dodgy or grow mould.. which it hasn't..

BTW I use rimmel extra super lash. The normal brush is actually better then the curved brush :eek: lol and it costs around £5.
    i got some curved brush mascara today, think it's rimmel, and the curved brush is useless wish i'd stuck with what i normally buy!

ReputationRep:
    i got some curved brush mascara today, think it's rimmel, and the curved brush is useless wish i'd stuck with what i normally buy!
    Curved brush really isn't all that good at all.. :| I also heard that the comb ones are useless lol thank goodness I didn't invest in one of those because they are quite expensive as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    Curved brush really isn't all that good at all.. :| I also heard that the comb ones are useless lol thank goodness I didn't invest in one of those because they are quite expensive as well...
    lol i should have spoken to you first!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I personally take that with a pinch of salt. I reckon it's just a guideline from the companies (so that nobody can sue them for using a seven-month-old mascara and it making them unwell when it says six months on the tube) and not something to be followed absolutely. I reckon that if you still think it looks OK (and use your brain here!!) then you can probably still use it. Each piece of makeup or skincare will have the little pot logo on the side with a different usage guide written on it - usually 6M (six months), 12M (twelve months) or 18M (eighteen months). I have occasionally seen 24M or 36M but not often.

I see it as being like use by dates on food - if a yoghurt has the 9th August written on it but it's been kept in a very cold fridge and not been opened then you're probably still OK to eat it for a week more than they say. It's just about using common sense.
    I did not know the 6M thing, I saw that today and wondered what it was! Thanks for sharing that little nugget of wisdom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)

I had to just have a look through my whole make up bag out of curiosity, and found something with 30M - I feel so much better now I know what it means haha. Sad, yes I know.

ReputationRep:
    Urban Decay's Big Fatty Mascara. :love:

Most of the No.7 collection is good though, and you can choose what you want out of your mascara.

ReputationRep:
    Telescopic Lash or something by L'Oreal

ReputationRep:
    diorshow, i suggest www.feelunique.com for mascara, it's quite well discounted, you may even be able to splash out on that lancome one you used before!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest YSL faux cils or MAC long lash - both really good! and you don't even have to use an eyelash curler to get the effect you want.

ReputationRep:
    lol i should have spoken to you first!!
    Haha, it's a shame you didn't know me back then..

ReputationRep:
    Maxfactor False Lash Effect. It's good and affordable within my part-time job budget.

ReputationRep:
    Also does anyone who's used benefit find that it starts flaking off after a couple hours? I wore it today and everytime I touched my eyes bits of it were coming off on my fingers...and I didn't even have that much on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Also does anyone who's used benefit find that it starts flaking off after a couple hours? I wore it today and everytime I touched my eyes bits of it were coming off on my fingers...and I didn't even have that much on.
    Yes. I like the way it makes my lashes look but it would be nice if I didn't look like a panda after a few hours!

ReputationRep:
    Clinique High Impact Mascara.

ReputationRep:
    Define-a-lash is still my choice :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendroons)
    Clinique High Impact Mascara.
    Yeah, I had a mini one of this I got free. Quite good, but it's running out now I'm gonna try something else, but there's loads of choices - thanks for all the recommendations everyone

I know one thing: don't get benefit mascara, I was quite tempted by that packaging as well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried the Bourjouis Liner-effect one?

Also are those kinda bendy-ish, comb-ish? brushes any good (think ^ had one). Or are the old regular ones still the best?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.