Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am going to uni this september and will be working up until a week before hand, so I have a week to get stuff ready and rest a bit!

I have worked in my current job for a year or so and therefore am required to give a months notice which will mean handing it in on the 14th or 17th of august.

Now this is where my predicament lies. The company is not doing very well and redundancy and things like that are a possiblity but of course Im not worried as I am leaving anyway. Someone has handed in their notice today and they are talking about me and another colleague helping out when she has gone but I fell like I should say something!

The reason I do not want to is because I have a difficult boss that might say "well we will start your 4 weeks notice period today" in which case Ill be left with 3 weeks off and a lot less money than i had planned. She may say "thanks for letting us know" and let me work a 5-6 week notice but im not sure if its worth the risk.

The other thing is that I get commission and my cut off is the 14th, the day or day before i plan to hand in my notice. A lot of sales jobs will cease any commission if they know you are leaving so if they do that its £250-£350 extra i will not get!

Any ideas on what to do? sit it out for a few weeks or be nice and let them know risking potential cash?

Sit it out. It's financially better for you to sit it out and you have no obligation to tell them more than 4 weeks in advance.

Sit it out definitely. You shouldn't have to feel guilty at all, your doing only what anybody else in your situation would do, and by that you are getting extra money for uni, there is no harm in that. . Anyway, if anyone was to ask why you didn't mention you were leaving back at the time of the redundancies, couldn't you just say you that you weren't planning on leaving back when these redundancies happened, you only decided at a later date. If your works isn't far from your university, you could say your original plan was to commute to uni so you could live at home and keep your job but your plans changed when you decided to go out and live wherever you have chosen to study hence why you handed your notice in at a later date. Good luck anyway

ok thanks guys.

I think I will just sit it out. Im in charge of sales you see and next week there several very imprtant people coming in who will no doubt give me a **** time so gotta try just nodding and smiling until notice hand in day!
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.