Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leona Lewis Lack Of..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dijobla)
    She has a good voice, but what is really annoying is her lack of personality. She's borinnnnnng. Even when she's dancing in the rain on the streets singing "forgive me" I'm just like yawn :yawn:. Booorrrrrriiiiinnnng.
    she is soo booring..she has a good voice but no personality

ReputationRep:
    READ READ, YOU MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING....

Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This (winners song of both X factor and American idol when clarkson won it)

Avril Lavigne - I Will Be (Avril did not release this, she wrote it and it was given to lewis, something very common in the music industry)

Snow Patrol - Run (did not plan to release this, but it was such an exceelent version on live lounge that her fans wanted her to release it)

Bleeding Love - Jessy McCartney (Jesse did not want this song on his Album, Ryan Tedder then gave it to Clive Davis who gave it to Simon Cowell - this is very common in the music industry)

Written by Akon - Forgive Me (all songs are written by someone, in this case it was Akon. Neyo wrote irreplacable by Beyonce - Leona is not less origional than the rest therefore)

i love her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abu.10)
    Research
    Don't you think she should write some stuff herself?

Edit: I know most commercial/manufactured 'pop stars' don't but I'd have more respect for her if she at least made an attempt. She's got a good voice so it's not as if it'd sound ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Don't you think she should write some stuff herself?

Edit: I know most commercial/manufactured 'pop stars' don't but I'd have more respect for her if she at least made an attempt. She's got a good voice so it's not as if it'd sound ****.
    i don't think she needs to write her own stuff, and she's not credible enough for anybody to care if she did. The kind of songs she'd be writing probably wouldn't be worth the effort, she's not a groundbreaking artist, she's just a good voice.

It's not as important as, say, Amy Winehouse (random example) writing most of her own songs because she's singing about her life. Leona Lewis is just singing for the sake of it.

I'd rather just hear her sing seminally good songs written by other people than nonsense she wrote herself.

ReputationRep:
    leona=uk version of rihanna? i wish

ReputationRep:
    IMO, Leona is the best female SINGER out there at the moment. And that is what she is, a Singer. Not a songwriter.
    She is not the first, and she certaintly wont be the last to sing amazing versions of other people's penned songs.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think she needs to write her own stuff, and she's not credible enough for anybody to care if she did. The kind of songs she'd be writing probably wouldn't be worth the effort, she's not a groundbreaking artist, she's just a good voice.

It's not as important as, say, Amy Winehouse (random example) writing most of her own songs because she's singing about her life. Leona Lewis is just singing for the sake of it.

I'd rather just hear her sing seminally good songs written by other people than nonsense she wrote herself.
    Exactly and that's why I can never really appreciate it when she sings. She herself probably hasn't even chosen it but rather the management group in charge of her have determined that this particular song will be the most commercially successful. To me, that massively detracts from any good qualities that her voice may have. It almost becomes meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think she really has a choice, its up to the record label - (in this case simon cowell) what she sings etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Exactly and that's why I can never really appreciate it when she sings. She herself probably hasn't even chosen it but rather the management group in charge of her have determined that this particular song will be the most commercially successful. To me, that massively detracts from any good qualities that her voice may have. It almost becomes meaningless.
    Which proves the point that even if she were to write her own songs, at this stage in her career it wouldn't make a difference and nobody (meaning sceptical ans and record labels etc) would really care. She's probably going to have to wait until she's a more mature recording artist before she gets the creative freedom.

ReputationRep:
    Which proves the point that even if she were to write her own songs, at this stage in her career it wouldn't make a difference and nobody (meaning sceptical ans and record labels etc) would really care. She's probably going to have to wait until she's a more mature recording artist before she gets the creative freedom.
    Yeah, good point.

ReputationRep:
    If people are going to buy her music fair play to her!

Shes making a success of herself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    ORIGINALITY!

Now seriously, it's starting to annoy me. Why doesn't she ever sing her own songs. So far she's done mostly covers e.g

Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This
    Avril Lavigne - I Will Be
    Snow Patrol - Run
    Bleeding Love - Jessy McCartney
    Written by Akon - Forgive Me

What's next? At first I liked her but now she's lacking orginality.
    Ifd you're not impressed...don't listen. Not everyone gets the 'free publicity Leona Lewis has had'. Try something new, expand your tastes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    I think you'll find Jesse McCartney wrote this song. It's not a cover.
    She's only a new artist, so they're trying to establish a sound for her. Some of her songs are ok tbh. She hasn't had a song out in ages so hopefully it means she's in the studio and she'll be producing something more upbeat. :cool: :yes:
    haha new artist? :eek3: she's been exposed to the industry for about 3 years now. I don't think it takes 3 years to find your own voice. Personally i do like her voice, but I just feel she's bum-licking the americans now :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    haha new artist? :eek3: she's been exposed to the industry for about 3 years now. I don't think it takes 3 years to find your own voice. Personally i do like her voice, but I just feel she's bum-licking the americans now :yes:
    She's only had one album.

(Original post by natty_d)
    She's only had one album.
    Probably her last... until 2012 or something like that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    listed as writer for most of her new album echo.....once again, haters proved wrong

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.