Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    I made some bread and butter pudding a couple of days ago, and have like 200ml of single cream remaining (as being extra i got 2 tubs :/ ) I don't want it to go off, and need to chuck it away, as that would be a waste. Are there any simple recipes I can use single cream in?? I've looked through recipezaar, and they all are pretty complicated. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
    Make pretty much any kind of pasta sauce/tomato sauce for beef or chicken/soup/anything and stir in cream just before serving.

Add to coffee to be greedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)
    Ermm... I was being sarcastic...
    What? Nah you don't say :rolleyes:

Yes I was well aware of you being sarcastic but I just thought that your idea deserved merit :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've got double cream leftover, what can i do with that? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    I've got double cream leftover, what can i do with that? :p:
    ooh ooh i know, get some madiera cake, slice into little cubes. And get a can of that fruit cocktail stuff, and mix with the double cream

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Make pretty much any kind of pasta sauce/tomato sauce for beef or chicken/soup/anything and stir in cream just before serving.

Add to coffee to be greedy.
    As for my single cream dilemma, me thinks ill stick with pasta.
    all i have to work with are tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger.. coriander, carrots, potatoes and ofcourse pasta...is it possible to concoct some sort of pasta dish with those things ? D=

I have a tub of coleslaw too, but i dont think that would go with single cream in pasta :/

ReputationRep:
    The number of people in this thread that have lots of cream expiring today is pretty weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippy_gerbil)
    The number of people in this thread that have lots of cream expiring today is pretty weird.
    3 so far... its a conspiracy :eek:

ReputationRep:
    hehe i had cream for the apple crumble i made yesterday :p:

(Original post by Sahds)
    ooh ooh i know, get some madiera cake, slice into little cubes. And get a can of that fruit cocktail stuff, and mix with the double cream
    Oooh i might try that. Will take a trip down to tesco in a bit and get some. Sounds yummy, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Set it up with another single cream :awesome:

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Sweet potato gratin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    Oooh i might try that. Will take a trip down to tesco in a bit and get some. Sounds yummy, thank you

If I took a trip down to the supermarket, i could just pick up some ingredients to make use of the single cream, but.. i went yesterday, and its horrible weather outside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Sweet potato gratin.
    i was thinking this, after all have got sweet potatoes at home. Do you have a recipe at all? Or do i just substitute normal potatoes for sweet potato? thanks

ReputationRep:
    My mum makes a creamy mushroom type sauce for chicken. :coma: with single cream.
    You Just, cut the chicken into strips or cubes.
    Cook on a medium heat in a saucepan until it's well..cooked!/slightly browned.
    Prepare some mushrooms and one onion ( 1 garlic clove if you want as well)
    Throw those in, and cook for around another 5 mins.
    Add single cream, also add flour but oonly little bits at a time to thicken the sauce. :yep:
    And sometimes you can add a dash of cooking wine to it. :teeth:

Usually have that with rice. Tis lush if you get the sauce right. It did take me till like my 3rd time round making it myself to get the sauce right though.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    My mum makes a creamy mushroom type sauce for chicken. :coma: with single cream.
    You Just, cut the chicken into strips or cubes.
    Cook on a medium heat in a saucepan until it's well..cooked!/slightly browned.
    Prepare some mushrooms and one onion ( 1 garlic clove if you want as well)
    Throw those in, and cook for around another 5 mins.
    Add single cream, also add flour but oonly little bits at a time to thicken the sauce. :yep:
    And sometimes you can add a dash of cooking wine to it. :teeth:

Usually have that with rice. Tis lush if you get the sauce right. It did take me till like my 3rd time round making it myself to get the sauce right though.:p:
    That would be so awesome.. if I had chicken and mushrooms :o: Thanks though, sounds like a keeper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    i was thinking this, after all have got sweet potatoes at home. Do you have a recipe at all? Or do i just substitute normal potatoes for sweet potato? thanks
    This is the recipe I used. It does come out pretty sweet though, so you could put more of the sweet potato in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...in_13803.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Make some awesome mash potatoes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    This is the recipe I used. It does come out pretty sweet though, so you could put more of the sweet potato in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...in_13803.shtml
    :woo: PERFECT!!!! thanks!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Use it in coffee, it's epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    that looks good =D
    is it possible to use sweet potato instead of normal potatoes? And just normal cheese (as my local store dont sell gruyere) :/
    yeah, im sure it would work when my mummy makes it, she uses cheddar anyway
    im sure sweet potatoes would work too haha

happy cookings!!

ReputationRep:
    I still have some left! Despite cooking two dishes with cream in today. I can't take any more cream. I think I'll chuck the rest and call it a day.

p.s mine is double. whoop exciting stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.