Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When are you supposed to use full beam? Is it just to let people know you're there?

ReputationRep:
    full beam is to be used at night when there is no oncoming traffic and no traffic in front of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vix_245)
    Yes, especially when on a country lane etc where there are no street lights. But should be turned off asap when u see someone coming the other way
    yeah this
    not to be used when there is oncoming traffic, basically when its really dark and theres noone around otherwise just use dipped beam x

ReputationRep:
    When conditions are poor with lack of lighting, but there cannot be other road users of the oppisite side, nor can there be someone infront of you. You'll end up bliding them. You will know when you need to use them, trust me. Also you can flash beams to give way, not many approve of this, but.. it's quite evident what your doing.

ReputationRep:
    I use it to blind idiots who refuse to keep left on the motorway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeelAhmad)
    Also you can flash beams to give way, not many approve of this, but.. it's quite evident what your doing.
    Not sure why people wouldn't approve of it - It's far better than slowing down an unnoticable amount, causing the driver waiting at the junction to be really unsure as to whether you're letting them out or just not paying attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    I use it to blind idiots who refuse to keep left on the motorway!
    Lol, fair.

I had HID's in my last car, I wasn't the one you'd want to make angry. Ouch, I feel it for the sorry souls, still.

ReputationRep:
    I have high power full beams on my Defender (about the same power as your average car full beams, high power because stock Defender high beams are like tea lights glued to your bumper) and, until recently, two Ring 110W driving lights The driving light reflectors got mouldy and the mounts are a bit fubared though so new 8" driving lights are in the works before next winter.

It depends on the night. If it's a bright night I'll often forget to put my full beams on but in the Land Rover its hardly like you're going at the speed of light anyway :p: Having someone behind you on full beam is horrible though. I often give them a flash of my reversing light (on a seperate circuit to the original with it's own switch) which is damn bright to remind them to get it back on dipped :rofl: I might get two 50W work lights up on the roof rack facing backwards too if I continue to get problems with pillocks on high beam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Not sure why people wouldn't approve of it - It's far better than slowing down an unnoticable amount, causing the driver waiting at the junction to be really unsure as to whether you're letting them out or just not paying attention.
    I once flashed a copper as I was giving way. He turned around, pulled me over and gave me a bolocking saying that my behaviour wasn't according to what I recall was apparently the code of conduct. Highway code bollox. I just agreed and went of thinking, what a pillock.

ReputationRep:
    I once flashed a copper as I was giving way. He turned around, pulled me over and gave me a bolocking saying that my behaviour wasn't according to what I recall was apparently the code of conduct. Highway code bollox. I just agreed and went of thinking, what a pillock.
    Geeze, that would be annoying. I'd honestly not think twice about flashing a cop car to let them out. Guess I'll not do that in future .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Geeze, that would be annoying. I'd honestly not think twice about flashing a cop car to let them out. Guess I'll not do that in future .
    A tad harsh, they can't all be like that. I flashed a community support officer while I was giving her way not long ago, she appreciated it. Perhaps because shes a reject cop, well thats what I call them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebassking)
    full beam is to be used at night when there is no oncoming traffic and no traffic in front of you!
    as above

and fog lights are not a replacement !

ReputationRep:
    Lol, fair.

I had HID's in my last car, I wasn't the one you'd want to make angry. Ouch, I feel it for the sorry souls, still.
    I have two 7' inch driving lights and four 5' inch spotlights on my Mini. People don't keep thier main beams on long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    I have two 7' inch driving lights and four 5' inch spotlights on my Mini. People don't keep thier main beams on long!
    I like you style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebassking)
    and there are no street lights and only when it is absolutely necessary for you to see where you're driving

EDIT: i didnt phrase that quite right. its always necessary for to see where you're driving. what i meant was only use them if you can't see clearly at all with just the normal (dipped beam?) headlights :p:

ReputationRep:
    I like you style
    I swear you can see my car on a country lane at night from space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Not sure why people wouldn't approve of it - It's far better than slowing down an unnoticable amount, causing the driver waiting at the junction to be really unsure
    Because it blinds the hell out of people at night or in twilight. That's not to say you should slow down either to let every tom, **** and harry out. If you have priority, keep going. If you're stopped in a queue and leaving a junction clear to let traffic in/out, just use eye contact, a nod and a smile. Works every time for me without confusion. No need to burn out my retinas, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    flashing your headlights , like sounding your horn is, in the eyes of the law , a warning of your presence and nowt else ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.