Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wondering so i can get a general idea of how much ill need to spend, thankies :-)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well imagine going out to a club every night of the week, how much that would cost you (taxi fare, admission cost, drinks etc) and times that by five. Also add on approx £45 for JCR fees (some halls don't let you know about this until the day you arrive) and maybe some money for food? (especially if you're non-catered). If you don't want to spend a lot, you won't - but it's a good idea to have some money available.

ReputationRep:
    Money from my job= some going on freshers =D

ReputationRep:
    Not including JCR fees, sports fed fees, soc fees just purely on going out etc. I easily spent over £100

Readlly amazing but poor times :p:

ReputationRep:
    Jcr?

ReputationRep:
    I really need to know this too! I have £300 and overdraft basically to last me until I get my student loan... which by the looks of things will be a few weeks late since I still haven't sent it off

ReputationRep:
    i spent like £200, 6 nights out at £20 a go.
    I spent like the remainin on like food and course stuff

ReputationRep:
    over draft FTW

ReputationRep:
    Realistically £100-200. If youre going out every night, eating out most nights and maybe doing stuff with halls or socs that cost it all adds up very quickly.

But its well worth it because freshers week is one of the best weeks you will have in your entire goddamn life! And you can live on £10 a week on pasta and sauces at the end of the term when your money runs out.

I miss freshers week dearly: that nervous-excited feeling, that first taste of independence, meeting all these new people, being in a totally new and exciting city. Enjoy it and dont worry too much about money. Everything goes steadily down hill afterwards. Before you know it they expect you to start learning things and doing exams :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Realistically £100-200. If youre going out every night, eating out most nights and maybe doing stuff with halls or socs that cost it all adds up very quickly.

But its well worth it because freshers week is one of the best weeks you will have in your entire goddamn life! And you can live on £10 a week on pasta and sauces at the end of the term when your money runs out.

I miss freshers week dearly: that nervous-excited feeling, that first taste of independence, meeting all these new people, being in a totally new and exciting city. Enjoy it and dont worry too much about money. Everything goes steadily down hill afterwards. Before you know it they expect you to start learning things and doing exams :eek:
    What's freshers week ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jporter1)
    I really need to know this too! I have £300 and overdraft basically to last me until I get my student loan... which by the looks of things will be a few weeks late since I still haven't sent it off
    If it is your first year and you STILL have not sent it off, it is probably going to be quite late.

Do it now. right now.

As for freshers week, I spent about 150 quid I think. It was a tenner or so for all the halls events. Then a couple of club nights and things like that. It is your first week. Go mad! worry about the lack of money later in the term. You can live of beans on toast and soup if you have too.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking forward to freshers but i have my own flat already and going to uni in the city i live so i prob gonna miss alot of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael-69)
    I am looking forward to freshers but i have my own flat already and going to uni in the city i live so i prob gonna miss alot of it
    Find someone at one of the halls and tag along with them, or speak to one of the wardens at the halls and go along to the events.

Going to the city you live in just means that you will be able to show everyone else where the best places to go out are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)

First taste of independence? You lucky person.

ReputationRep:
    ahh i thought it might be around about that, not so bad!!

ReputationRep:
    I spent around £250 but thats in sunderland which is really cheap, i have a job this year so it will be slightly more no doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushhour72)
    i spent like £200, 6 nights out at £20 a go.
    I spent like the remainin on like food and course stuff

You were in a catered hall! How did you spend so much on food?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jporter1)
    Do you know when the deadline actually is for student finance? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoe_uwe)
    Do you know when the deadline actually is for student finance? thanks
    9 months after your course starts, you can still apply for finance.

To guarantee that you actually get the money at the start of term, you should have ideally done it by mid-July, since they're running 8-10 weeks behind schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twaffy)
    You were in a catered hall! How did you spend so much on food?:confused:
    was usually pizza or a kebab, and also weekend food issues too (we are not catered then) or after a piss-up!panswer ur question? BTW i sorted you're gibbs adsorption dilemma, donate some green gems!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.