Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys and Gals: Opinions on Doc Martens for the ladies? PICS watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what the general consensus on Doc martens was? I know they are associated with certain stereotypes but I think if worn fashionably they can look quite cool. :yes:

E.g:

And you can look through loads more on this link:
    http://lookbook.nu/search?q=martens#more

Any opinions?
    Particular what guys think of girls who wear them?

ReputationRep:
    I wear them,
    And you know what, I don't care what people think of me.

ReputationRep:
    i think on the right person they can look quite good. those pictures do them justice lol

ReputationRep:
    I think they look really good, a nice contrast worn with floral, girly dresses or skirts like in those pictures.

ReputationRep:
    As with most things, on the right people they will look great.

But also like anything if it becomes fashionable to wear them you'll get alot of people wearing them who look a little odd in them. That third girl down for example looks like she wouldnt even have the power in her body to lift her feet up to walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    As with most things, on the right people they will look great.

But also like anything if it becomes fashionable to wear them you'll get alot of people wearing them who look a little odd in them. That third girl down for example looks like she wouldnt even have the power in her body to lift her feet up to walk.
    Haha, true true, poor girl!

Yeah I totally agree. People trying to pull off trends that really just don't suit them is just terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I like docs, and they look fine on girls, sometimes. But I don't think they look good they're being worn in those 3 pictures. Some ok pictures in the link, but the pictures made me nauseous more than anything. There are better brands of boots imo anyway.
    More often than not, you're going to look like a poseur wearing them.

ReputationRep:
    i like them as long as i arent wearing mine at the same time.. else i get confoosed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver)
    I like docs, and they look fine on girls, sometimes. But I don't think they look good they're being worn in those 3 pictures. Some ok pictures in the link, but the pictures made me naucious more than anything. There are better brands of boots imo anyway.
    More often than not, you're going to look like poseur wearing them.
    Made you feel nauseous? Haha ok. And I have been looking at getting ex-army boots...
    Any examples of how you think they do look good?

:borat:

i think they can be very hit and miss. i know a girl who wears bright green ones and they look awful with pretty much everything she wears. but when they're worn right i think they look :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 pairs - one calf length with corset ribbon up the back. And one pair of black patent platforms with a stack heel.
    I wear my DM's because I like them and because they're exceedingly comfortable, not because they're on Lookbook!

ReputationRep:
    As always, on the right person or with the right outfit...

ReputationRep:
    Are you really that shallow and self-centered that you feel you have to get approval from TSR before wearing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    Are you really that shallow and self-centered that you feel you have to get approval from TSR before wearing something?
    Hahaha, no. I already have them and wear them. And even if everyone came on slating them I would still wear them.

Just curious as to what people thought.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about them the other day!
    I don't have a pair but I think they (or any in a similar style) would make a change to wear.
    I think they seem to look better with tights on those pictures though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I have 2 pairs - one calf length with corset ribbon up the back. And one pair of black patent platforms with a stack heel.
    I wear my DM's because I like them and because they're exceedingly comfortable, not because they're on Lookbook!
    No, I am the same. I have one black pair already and wear them alot. And I am thinking of getting a coloured or patterned pair.

I know alot of people on lookbook come across really pretentious and what not, but you can get some really good style tips and inspiration. Honest! Just browse past the obvious people who are rated as the best when they're actually not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_am_TERRIfic)
    Made you feel nauseous? Haha ok. And I have been looking at getting ex-army boots...
    Any examples of how you think they do look good?
    Yes nauseous lol, excuse my spelling. But most of those girls were ridiculous looking with stupid poses. The guys too. Seriously if anything, most make me want to not wear DM boots anymore.

I usually think they look good look good with stovepipes, rolled up. Skinny jeans is fine too. Also partially bleached jeans on girls :coma:
    But the main thing is to just wear them because you like them, and not take retarded photos of yourself showcasing them and post them on lookbook:p:. As for combat boots, the girls I know who wear them are metalheads or gothic/industrial types, so eh.

ReputationRep:
    I love my DM's, but I don't wear them much as 1) they really need to be broken in, they're a painful affair for the time being, and 2) I feel I look a little silly in them. Hopefully the fact that I love the look of them will override the latter at some point though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting some; black ones with a floral pattern

ReputationRep:
    So long as you have as much hair as Jade Goody did then they should fit the image.

Oh wait, that stereotype f***ed off ages ago. Never mind.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.