Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a interview at Waterstones next Thursday.

Does anyone currently work there and what type of questions do they ask??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you filled out the same application form, but a while back when I applied, they asked the following questions on the form, so it might be along the same lines in the interview.

What is it about working in a customer service environment that interests you?

What is it about working in a sales environment that interests you?

Describe a time when you completed a task that met expectations.

Describe a time when you were part of a successful team. What was your contribution to the team's success?

I wouldn't be surprised if they asked you a more informal question about your favourite author or something. It's always good to know a bit about the company itself to show you've done your homework.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I worked there as a christmas temp this year and I loved the people I worked with! They asked me the normal stuff like how would you define good customer service? How would you deal with a difficult customer? ect. They also asked me to select a book I liked and a book I would suggest for a young male teen and explain my choices. It depends on who interviews you obviously, but my interview was quite relaxed. Just make sure you show a genuine interest in books and try and relate the job to something you're doing ( I was taking english literature at the time). Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank You for the replies

I was a bit weary on whether they would ask questions about my personal book choices

Thank You!!

ReputationRep:
    Actually they did ask me all those questions, and also personal book choices... So be prepared to talk about the sort of things you like to read and WHY. There were also questions about handling a situation e.g. grumpy customers.
    Also, I have just finished year 11, so there wasn't much to talk about in the way of previous work experience, so the team work questions were based around school!
    I thought the interview didn't go that well, but I got the job, so don't worry! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fmh)
    Actually they did ask me all those questions, and also personal book choices... So be prepared to talk about the sort of things you like to read and WHY. There were also questions about handling a situation e.g. grumpy customers.
    Also, I have just finished year 11, so there wasn't much to talk about in the way of previous work experience, so the team work questions were based around school!
    I thought the interview didn't go that well, but I got the job, so don't worry! Good luck

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at Waterstones for a book seller, anyone have any idea what questions they might ask me for that?

Sorry to hijack your thread Zahib, but it seemed daft making two Waterstones threads :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgestix)
    I have an interview at Waterstones for a book seller, anyone have any idea what questions they might ask me for that?

Sorry to hijack your thread Zahib, but it seemed daft making two Waterstones threads :P

lol. Ive got the same interview as a bookseller. is there any difference between that role and a sales assistant??

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure. I think that booksellers are generally in charge of promoting books (you know the folks who write the little recommendations), and helping people locate books - but depending on how big the Waterstones is, sale assistant and bookseller might be the same thing.

Edit: Just found this page, describes the general roles of a bookseller http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure. I think that booksellers are generally in charge of promoting books (you know the folks who write the little recommendations), and helping people locate books - but depending on how big the Waterstones is, sale assistant and bookseller might be the same thing.

Edit: Just found this page, describes the general roles of a bookseller http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp

Thank You!!

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview, asked mostly the questions mentioned above. Also asked me about how I'd deal with individual customers (i.e. adult compared to a child) - didn't ask me much about books apart from what was my favourite and why, and how would I go about recommending a book to someone looking for a gift.

It was a lot longer than I expected, but it was quite chatty and informal, and I think it went ok.

Only problem is, they advertised the wrong hours for my job, so might be a bit awkward D:

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview, asked mostly the questions mentioned above. Also asked me about how I'd deal with individual customers (i.e. adult compared to a child) - didn't ask me much about books apart from what was my favourite and why, and how would I go about recommending a book to someone looking for a gift.

It was a lot longer than I expected, but it was quite chatty and informal, and I think it went ok.

Only problem is, they advertised the wrong hours for my job, so might be a bit awkward D:

Oh wow! Got mines next thursday. could i be really cheeky and ask what specific questions they asked you??:o: :o:

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember them all, but I remember:

Tell us about yourself.
    What is your favourite book, why and how would you sell it to a customer?
    How would you help a customer looking for a gift?
    What do you like about the layout of the store, would you change it?
    Why would you like to work for Waterstones?
    Talk about a time when you overcame a problem
    Talk about a time when you worked as a team sucessfully
    Do you know what the role of a book seller entails?
    Who do you think puts out the books?
    Talk about a time when you took on extra responsibilities, what happened (that one really stumped me lol)
    Talk about a time when you exceeded expectations

I think there were some more, but I can't remember. Hope I helped =3

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember them all, but I remember:

Tell us about yourself.
    What is your favourite book, why and how would you sell it to a customer?
    How would you help a customer looking for a gift?
    What do you like about the layout of the store, would you change it?
    Why would you like to work for Waterstones?
    Talk about a time when you overcame a problem
    Talk about a time when you worked as a team sucessfully
    Do you know what the role of a book seller entails?
    Who do you think puts out the books?
    Talk about a time when you took on extra responsibilities, what happened (that one really stumped me lol)
    Talk about a time when you exceeded expectations

I think there were some more, but I can't remember. Hope I helped =3
    Thanx a bunch!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey fudgestix, did you get the job...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard yet, they said they'd be in touch sometime early this week.
    Like I said, they advertised the wrong hours so unless they find another role with times I can do, I doubt it :P

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard yet, they said they'd be in touch sometime early this week.
    Like I said, they advertised the wrong hours so unless they find another role with times I can do, I doubt it :P

Fingers Crossed

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview tomorrow and it's my first one ever, so I'm rattthherrr nervous.

How long did it last would you say?

ReputationRep:
    about 25-30 minutes maybe?

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've applied for a bookseller job at Waterstones, I applied on the 14th and I was wondering how long it took for them to email you to let you know if you've got past the first stage?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.